Validation for 5k Oil Change Intervals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
F350 doesn't have a catalytic converter, so not worried about destroying it. I drive about 200 miles each way to work, and I want to keep the engine in good running shape. I had used T6 in my '16 powerstroke because it was on the Ford approved oils. So I just kept using it on the '96, just in the recommended weight.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone use any oil analysis to back up how it “feels” using a heavier oil… Old-Raptor-guy at least has experience.
I don't disagree with you but his photos in the post are more indicative of long intervals between oil changes not a oil weight (too light too heavy) issue. Varnish is more related to a given oil exposed to its thermal evaporative limit (temp) and as contaminates are accumulated in suspension are effectively baked on to the metal. Regardless of weight, if the oil is changed more Frequently, the detergents can do what they are added to do, ameliorate, or in some cases if caught early enough, remediate contaminant deposits. The whole heavier weight oil thing is another rabbit hole…

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Consider this, industrial engine such as gas compressor drivers, run 24/7 365. Monthly oil analysis to spot issues, but usually change oil once per year. This is accomplished by using way better filtration on the oil and AIR. If you want longevity, buy that fancy Donaldson air filter. Clean air entering the engine promotes cleaner oil and less wear.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Consider this, industrial engine such as gas compressor drivers, run 24/7 365. Monthly oil analysis to spot issues, but usually change oil once per year. This is accomplished by using way better filtration on the oil and AIR. If you want longevity, buy that fancy Donaldson air filter. Clean air entering the engine promotes cleaner oil and less wear.
Funny you should say that, I have the Donaldson filter on my Raptor and powerstroke. Only filter I will run in any sort of dirt.
Would put one on wife's SHO if they made a kit.

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also worked and managed an automotive machine shop for many years. I agree with ORG. Don't think a better filter extends oil life, oil thins with use as the long chain molecules bread down and it looses it's ability to lubricate, hence quality oil and more frequent changes. What a better filter does is keep suspended particlulates away from moving parts. Our engines are sealed much better than engines of past days but there are still avenues for abrasives to enter in addition to the ones created through normal wear. Change oil often, use good oil, use good filters. The only other thing one could do is add a prestart prelube system that builds oil pressure before the engine is cranked.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I also worked and managed an automotive machine shop for many years. I agree with ORG. Don't think a better filter extends oil life, oil thins with use as the long chain molecules bread down and it looses it's ability to lubricate, hence quality oil and more frequent changes. What a better filter does is keep suspended particlulates away from moving parts. Our engines are sealed much better than engines of past days but there are still avenues for abrasives to enter in addition to the ones created through normal wear. Change oil often, use good oil, use good filters. The only other thing one could do is add a prestart prelube system that builds oil pressure before the engine is cranked.
Good premium gas.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score