GEN 2 Truck Order Discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My dealership is probably one of the smallest in the country. They usually only stock 7 or 8 new F150s and 7 or 8 new super dutys and maybe 2 Mustangs. Although they have been around for almost 100 years... they don't sell a lot of trucks (or vehicles over all) for Ford. So when it comes to orders FoMoCo doesn't give a crap about them. That's why my July 30th order with a priority 10 hasn't been scheduled yet.
:wwwd:
FWIW, they have 2 allocations for Raptors and I am #1.

I'm hunting for smaller dealers, found one that's closed on Sundays so maybe too small for an allocation? :eek:

Raeyn

Reaction score
i still don't get it why dealers/body shops are closed on the weekend when that is the only time for most people to buy or change stuffs.

F150sales

Reaction score
Closed Sundays

Our dealership is closed Sunday from our "blue laws" that harken back to PA Dutch rule. Kind of sucks....except for football season.

Some tricks you will see with Raptors are dealers taking deposits for spots in line.

I am taking deposits once an order is placed (mainly to make sure they are really serious). Over sticker is common as wholesalers are offering anywhere from $7000-10,000 over msrp for allocation and taking stuff off your lot as a package you can't sell.

I am happy to help with any questions. Our first Raptor has a build week of 10/10/2016 but who knows delivery date.

---------- Post added at 04:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 AM ----------

Does Ford give priority to units that are considered "sold"?

For example, the big dealers have 70+ allocations but have only sold 10 where as my dealer has 7 allocations, and now sold 5. Will they pull the sold ones first?
Most dealers order "hot" vehicles as sold....so it's not always accurate.

---------- Post added at 04:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 AM ----------

New here folks. My name is Robert. Im looking to order a Raptor and here are couple details:

- I live in California, East Bay
- I have one dealership close to me, Walnut Creek Ford

I went in there yesterday to talk to them about the ordering process and they told me they have 5 raptors on order coming in a couple months. 4 of them have been bought but the last one is for me! The salesman said it just like that...so sneaky he is. I wonder how many before me he has told that too.

I told them i wanted to order my own customized as the one they told me that is coming in is the Lithium Gray (which that color option isn't even listed on the available colors), and I don't want that color. So they gave me the Order/Equipment list and told them what i wanted and mark it all up. So i did.

They said they will call me today with more order info as the lady, Stephanie, was gone for the day and she deals with all of that. Then I left.

Its now 4:07pm with no phone call.

When I left, I spoke with my father, who manages the Fleet Division for a large agriculture company and deals with dealers on a daily basis. He uses something called Chrome Data. Its a cool online app that he can fill out the order forms exactly like the dealers do to order his vehicles. It prints you out a 31 page document with everything you ever wanted to know about the vehicle. So I now have a print out of exactly what I want and the price for both invoice and MSRP. Here is the breakdown:

Price Summary: (Invoice/MSRP)
Base Price: $47,718/$51,310
Total Options: $12,496/$13,580
Vehicle Subtotal: $60,214/$64,890
Adjustments: $0/$0
Destination Charge: $1,195/$1,195
Grand Total: $61,409/$66,085

This doesn't include tax/title/all other fees associated with buying. I was also told by my father that even if the dealer tells you "i'll sell it to you at invoice and i won't make a penny" is not true. There is something called "Holdback." With this truck and price, it will be about $2000. Holdback is something the manufacture gives the dealer on top of the invoice price. How it works I don't know. So even if they sell it to you at invoice, they are still making about $2k.

My questions:

- Has anyone used Chrome Data to negotiate with the dealer?
- My dealer said he is selling them for $8k mark up. If that is the case, you think its possible to just tell them i want it for no more than MSRP?
- I will be paying cash, so do you think that will give me some leverage?

Here are my list of options told them i want and have put into Chrome Data:

- Color: Ruby Red Metallic
- SuperCrew
- 802A Luxery - Invoice: $8,597 / MSPR: $9,345
- Twin Panel Moonroof - $1295
- Tailgate Applique - $495
- Raptor Technology Package - $1950
- Spray-in Bedliner - $495

Oh, and FYI, Chrome Data gives you all the stats on the vehicle too. Gross Weight is 7050 pounds :)
Holdback is generally 3% of the msrp under the invoice price. Personally I would show you all of it but you wouldn't get a penny of it. With very limited production for 2017 most will be lucky to even get one. I am very upfront with people and tell them if they really "need" the first year it comes at a premium. I get anywhere from 2-5 wholesaler calls a day offering $7000-10,000 over msrp to buy my allocation for raptors.

Not an in your face statement as much as a buyer beware. If you do in fact order one or throw a deposit down make sure you are getting one and not letting someone else earn interest on your money.

Mine first 3 went for $15,000 over msrp, 4 and 5 went for 14k and 12k over and the last one an owner may take, if not I will buy it.

I have heard many stories of local dealers selling at msrp and taking deposits and it makes me wonder if they just don't get the same wholesaler calls, or are playing games. Business is business so I don't see anyone leaving money on the table.

---------- Post added at 04:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 AM ----------

New here folks. My name is Robert. Im looking to order a Raptor and here are couple details:

- I live in California, East Bay
- I have one dealership close to me, Walnut Creek Ford

I went in there yesterday to talk to them about the ordering process and they told me they have 5 raptors on order coming in a couple months. 4 of them have been bought but the last one is for me! The salesman said it just like that...so sneaky he is. I wonder how many before me he has told that too.

I told them i wanted to order my own customized as the one they told me that is coming in is the Lithium Gray (which that color option isn't even listed on the available colors), and I don't want that color. So they gave me the Order/Equipment list and told them what i wanted and mark it all up. So i did.

They said they will call me today with more order info as the lady, Stephanie, was gone for the day and she deals with all of that. Then I left.

Its now 4:07pm with no phone call.

When I left, I spoke with my father, who manages the Fleet Division for a large agriculture company and deals with dealers on a daily basis. He uses something called Chrome Data. Its a cool online app that he can fill out the order forms exactly like the dealers do to order his vehicles. It prints you out a 31 page document with everything you ever wanted to know about the vehicle. So I now have a print out of exactly what I want and the price for both invoice and MSRP. Here is the breakdown:

Price Summary: (Invoice/MSRP)
Base Price: $47,718/$51,310
Total Options: $12,496/$13,580
Vehicle Subtotal: $60,214/$64,890
Adjustments: $0/$0
Destination Charge: $1,195/$1,195
Grand Total: $61,409/$66,085

This doesn't include tax/title/all other fees associated with buying. I was also told by my father that even if the dealer tells you "i'll sell it to you at invoice and i won't make a penny" is not true. There is something called "Holdback." With this truck and price, it will be about $2000. Holdback is something the manufacture gives the dealer on top of the invoice price. How it works I don't know. So even if they sell it to you at invoice, they are still making about $2k.

My questions:

- Has anyone used Chrome Data to negotiate with the dealer?
- My dealer said he is selling them for $8k mark up. If that is the case, you think its possible to just tell them i want it for no more than MSRP?
- I will be paying cash, so do you think that will give me some leverage?

Here are my list of options told them i want and have put into Chrome Data:

- Color: Ruby Red Metallic
- SuperCrew
- 802A Luxery - Invoice: $8,597 / MSPR: $9,345
- Twin Panel Moonroof - $1295
- Tailgate Applique - $495
- Raptor Technology Package - $1950
- Spray-in Bedliner - $495

Oh, and FYI, Chrome Data gives you all the stats on the vehicle too. Gross Weight is 7050 pounds :)
Holdback is generally 3% of the msrp under the invoice price. Personally I would show you all of it but you wouldn't get a penny of it. With very limited production for 2017 most will be lucky to even get one. I am very upfront with people and tell them if they really "need" the first year it comes at a premium. I get anywhere from 2-5 wholesaler calls a day offering $7000-10,000 over msrp to buy my allocation for raptors.

Not an in your face statement as much as a buyer beware. If you do in fact order one or throw a deposit down make sure you are getting one and not letting someone else earn interest on your money.

Mine first 3 went for $15,000 over msrp, 4 and 5 went for 14k and 12k over and the last one an owner may take, if not I will buy it.

I have heard many stories of local dealers selling at msrp and taking deposits and it makes me wonder if they just don't get the same wholesaler calls, or are playing games. Business is business so I don't see anyone leaving money on the table.

That being said, if you want to message me I will build and send you any info you would like.

jdaallen

Reaction score
Ordered a Screw 8:00am, 07/21/16. All options except Carbon Fiber and Tailgate step in Avalanche Grey. Got a VIN# about 3 weeks ago with build date week of 10/10/16. This Monday got actual build date of Wed, 10/12/16.

Jackie

Reaction score

I have heard many stories of local dealers selling at msrp and taking deposits and it makes me wonder if they just don't get the same wholesaler calls, or are playing games. Business is business so I don't see anyone leaving money on the table..

I talked to 4 of your clones last week. Limited production, want a '17 better act now, I could sell them all day at $10k over MSRP. Even had one guy tell me he had one allocation and he expected it to be a "bidding war".

Bless you guys if you can get people to pay that kind of additional mark up. Or more accurately god bless those that have the kind of money they don't mind 15% more than a vehicle is worth.

In case it's not obvious, I still have my '14 and looks like I might for awhile.

Jackie

A2Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can understand the markup on specialty vehicles. But most of what your saying about people paying 10-15k markup is crazy.

Your either in a place where there are tons of people throwing money away or just selling ********.

I'm sure there are a few people who can't wait and have to have it, but anyone with a smart phone can save 10-15k by just going to another dealership.

Sure some will have to wait for about 1-3 months longer but I think 99% wouldn't mind waiting.

For the 1% with brain damage enough to buy from your dealership I hope you at least give them a "free" first oil change or something.

Good luck with the sales bud.

For people in California I would recommend looking out of state if you can't find any dealer at MSRP they are out there

F150sales

Reaction score
I'm sure as unpleasant as it is for most there are certainly people paying well over sticker. Just as many are still online 3 years old with 30k plus miles for original sticker or more by private sellers.

Some may think I am full of it....it really doesn't matter. I am sure all of my sales will be mall crawlers at best. The first one sold was to a gentleman who pulled up in a GT3, had a Rolex that probably cost more than my car.

My only hope was to be able to help based on the dealer end. I paid over sticker back in 2007 for the first Jeep Rubicon, and personally bought my used raptor from a customer who needed to get out of his for a work truck (I paid $1000 less than he paid 2 years before and 18k miles....the truck was just something I needed).

My overall goal is to tell it from the dealer side. Profit is only a bad word to the consumer. Limited units generally demand higher prices. If Ford mass produced them year 2 I am sure the butt hurt will be bad. All I do is be as upfront with people as I can. If I get the chance to buy our 6th allocation truck and my owners want to sell for more than sticker I will wait, but I don't care much if it's a few bucks over what I find reasonable. I drove one in Detroit and I am pretty sure I soiled the seat. I have the Roush kit on my present truck so I am sure this truck won't have the performance but it looks so much cooler....or maybe I am telling myself that.

In my opinion an honest deal is letting customers know there is a chance at seriously ramped up production for the 2nd year (which of course will kill their used value) and let them decide how to spend their money. That being said if it was your call and someone wanted to buy it at MSRP and someone else would pay the premium I am sure many wouldn't take the shorter deal.

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

If I could make a link for the wholesaler in an open post on LinkedIn offering $7000 over msrp I would. Anyone can look here up, Rhonda Hardin at professional locators LLC. Add her to LinkedIn and it's right there on her page. No real secret, but for the doubters, it is in black and white.