Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SvtDon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I tow my tow hauler fully loaded all the time with HD nationals and rpg 2.5 bump stops with ease. I use a weight distributing hitch while I'm towing. Helps a lot with distributing your weight from front of vehicle to rear of trailer. Highly recommend the hitch and nation hd's before anything else. Helps with sway and your rear will barely sag! If you somehow someway think its sagging too low get what pat said, 4in bump stop.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Grempel

Reaction score
I'm not actually over the rating of my truck but it sacks the truck enough that I get high Beamed all the time and I haul a Slip tank and a quad at the same time If I'm pulling a trailer I'm not hauling the quad in the truck but the Slip tank stays in it all the time

shawnt007

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm new to the forum and I don't have a Raptor....yet! I ordered a 2014 Terrain on Nov 18th, 2013. My dealer told me it will be built in February...big window. Anyway, I know there's already quite a few posts about towing on here, but I just found a brand new video on youtube comparing the two trucks towing in extreme conditions! I know a lot of people on here have had good towing experiences and some (mostly who haven't towed) express their concerns/pessimism with the Raptors capabilities. After watching these two video i was pleasantly surprised....
So here it is! I hope you enjoy and find it as informative as I did!2014 Ford Raptor 6.2L vs F-250 6.2L Mashup Ike Gauntlet Towing Test ( Part 1) - YouTube

BramageDained

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Raptor tows fine. I've got several thousand miles of towing on mine.

The heaviest was the Evo I had to Houston and back from Minneapolis.

That was on a steel trailer with a wood deck, the car(which was full of gear) and an extra set of wheels and tires.

I also had 70 gallons of E98, tools and gear in the bed of the truck. There was some squat, but, on bottom perch it was just enough for the truck to sit level. This was without a load-balancing hitch.

Probably have a bit over 1000 miles towing my Dad's fishing boat(18' Crestliner) around too.

damian12

Reaction score
2014 SCAB towing at max rated weight

I've read a lot of posts about towing with the Raptor, but most are from people exceeding the tow rating. I'd like to know your thoughts, or preferably experiences on towing right at the max rating.

I just got my new 2014 SCAB and am interested in towing an exclosed hauler. With the car I should be about 5500#'s + extra tires and tools I'd say 6,000#'s.

Am I going to need bags or a WDH? Which is better for a Raptor? Can I tow several hundred miles or is it going to be white nuckle all the way?

I'd appreciate any and all feedback on this!

thanks

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You should be fine in the 6,000 lb. neighborhood with a SCAB. The main limiting factor for the Raptor is the smaller front sway bar and soft suspension. You may notice the weight of the trailer manipulating the handling of the truck more than you would in a regular F-150. The Raptor's integrated trailer brake controller not only can control trailer brakes, but it also has a trailer sway control: If the trailer begins to sway, the TBC will modulate the brakes to combat the sway. I would still take the proper precautions when selecting a trailer like MobileBeats said... tandem axle, trailer brakes, and proper tongue weight on the truck are more important on a Raptor than they are on something rated to two 10k+ pounds.

I haven't researched these much, but they seem like they'd do a good job for handling some additional weight and not limit the suspension travel.
Ford Raptor Long Travel Air Bag Kit

gordhunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Youll be fine I tow a toy hauler all summer with mine with zero issues and dont have air bags. Tows better than any truck I've ever had

Sent from my S4

6gun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with above. I tow a 6000lb boat, double axle, ~550lb tongue wt. I know it's back there, but because of the track width of the truck, tows totally solid. If the bum were to dip on my truck, i would just put helper springs or add'l leaves on the rear, but mine doesn't sag with what i have. If I were to tow a trailer with more tongue wt., I would look into an equalizer hitch....depending on whether the trailer had surge or ele. brakes. I love how this truck tows, only drawback from my standpoint is that BECAUSE it is so stable, I have a tendency to want to run faster than I should....have caught myself giggling passing traffic at 75 mph...but not too often....especially when the car in the right lane looks up and, OMG, sees a Raptor....then 30' of boat and trailer whizzing by. Their eyes as big as pie-plates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alotajs