Tired of the drone. Need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IRONMAN

Reaction score
I installed just the SW headers to the stock exhaust and it droned.
As soon as I installed my x pipe muffler it amplified it 10X.
The headers were definitely the starting point of my drone just need to find a way of cancelling it all.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, watching twoguystv show just now and that have installed a tune-able exhaust system that removes drone... It uses a J-tube that is adjustable to remove the drone frequency... So they might not sell something that is a bolt on but its the idea that works. You can get your local muffler shop to copy the J-pipe and install it
Solo Performance –

Last edited:

RV-Junke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All this drone is giving me a headache

Thanks for the link to the J pipe solution. Seems to be a complicated problem, and each car is different.

fshol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed just the SW headers to the stock exhaust and it droned.
As soon as I installed my x pipe muffler it amplified it 10X.
The headers were definitely the starting point of my drone just need to find a way of cancelling it all.

Have the same setup and had some drone. Removed the tips and drone got less. Due to their shape (increase in diameter) the original tips work like a megaphone. Also tried the Ford racing tips with 'build in' resonator, but also get drone with these. So far i am happy without the tips, maybe i will try something else in the future

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Have the same setup and had some drone. Removed the tips and drone got less. Due to their shape (increase in diameter) the original tips work like a megaphone. Also tried the Ford racing tips with 'build in' resonator, but also get drone with these. So far i am happy without the tips, maybe i will try something else in the future

I cut off my tips and then some plus I ripped out my back seats, truck liner, floor carpet up to the front seats and placed the sound deadening material along the back of the cab and floor up to the front seats.
Help very slightly but stills drones loud in the truck.
Exhaust is getting ripped out and starting from scratch again.

Mike TexaSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have removed the stock resonator and installed a 3" in and dual 2.5 " out borla s type muffler and stock tips. Sounds great no drone..

Fwiw I'm very pleased with the sound!!

Ford racing exhaust for 205.00 not bad!

IRONMAN

Reaction score
What are you going back with, Ironman?

I have 2 11259 Magnaflow Universal Stainless Steel mufflers 3" in and out waiting to go on when it gets warmer out.
Just have to buy the X pipe and some pre bent exhaust pipe then I'll build it myself.

Attachments

• IMG_2296.jpg
    IMG_2296.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2295.jpg
    IMG_2295.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 52

RV-Junke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck IronMan...I am going to try some in-line resonators in the SW "X" Pipe and SW Resonator tips...If that doesn't work, I may go with the Magnaflow short "X" pipe and some long in-line Magnaflow Resonators...if that fails, I'm with you...build from scratch. And who ever said it is the headrs is correct...that is the cause. I only drone @ 40-60MPH...so cure for now...get to 80 as fast as I can. :)