Thinking Of selling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got 67k from a gmc dealer for my 18 loaded with 10k miles. In and out I'm 30 minutes, wired funds same day. Paid 65k, sticker was 71k. Dealer said he was listing it for 71k. Going gen 3. Probably be raptorless for 6 months to a year.

the thought recently came to me just how ******** strange it is that so many people are willing to fork over nearly $100k for a truck they’ve never even test drove- it’s actually truly bizarre- & to willingly pay over sticker for it ahead of time, again w/o even driving or even SEEING one- bonkers!?!??

it’s not like if you had a same gen design truck & were upgrading to a later model year, but even then a test drive would be requisite.

literally the deep pocketed impatient real world test mules for the Ford brand. Insane.

and I’m not directing this @ you in particular I mean just in general, virtually NOBODY who’s on a waiting list for a gen3 has seen or driven one basically....personally waiting 2 model years & to see/feel one in person before I’d even contemplate making deal on a gen3 when I have a solid low mileage 2020 in my driveway.....that wasn’t slapped together during a pandemic that was preceded by a supply chain trade war....jus sayin

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the thought recently came to me just how ******** strange it is that so many people are willing to fork over nearly $100k for a truck they’ve never even test drove- it’s actually truly bizarre- & to willingly pay over sticker for it ahead of time, again w/o even driving or even SEEING one- bonkers!?!??

it’s not like if you had a same gen design truck & were upgrading to a later model year, but even then a test drive would be requisite.

literally the deep pocketed impatient real world test mules for the Ford brand. Insane.

and I’m not directing this @ you in particular I mean just in general, virtually NOBODY who’s on a waiting list for a gen3 has seen or driven one basically....personally waiting 2 model years & to see/feel one in person before I’d even contemplate making deal on a gen3 when I have a solid low mileage 2020 in my driveway.....that wasn’t slapped together during a pandemic that was preceded by a supply chain trade war....jus sayin

There are 3 (at least) different aspects to this as I see it. And I have different thoughts on each. The first is whether it's a good time to upgrade because of high used values. I think that's a case by case situation. If you can sell high and wait till you can buy low, then great. That doesn't seem to be the case for most people though. They are selling high and buying high, not really gaining much of anything. I'm not saying it's dumb to do this, but you have to look at what you're buying at in order to really tell if it's that great of a deal.

The second aspect is buying a vehicle that you've never test drove. I'm mixed on this as there definitely vehicles I thought I wanted, until I did a test drive. So your definitely taking a gamble. Then again, there is some fun in getting a new vehicle sooner rather than later, and being one of the first to get it. You could argue that it's just 'keeping up with the jones' mentality, and some truth to that, but I do think most people are ordering Broncos, Raptors, Lightnings, TRXs, etc ASAP because they want to start enjoying in ASAP.

The third aspect is whether you should wait for all the bugs to be worked out of a new model. I see the logic in this for sure, but I honestly don't think I would wait over a year when I'm mentally and financially ready to buy now. I'll take some risk knowing I could end up with a warranty work nightmare. There is always some level of risk However, if I ever got burned with this situation, I imagine my view would change. rather quickly.

As a fourth thought that just occurred to me, I find that I am also wanting to wait not so much for the bugs to be worked out, but because I expect/hope there to be some relatively minor changes to the model coming in the next few years. The two things I don't want to settle for is blue interior and the same engine I already have. I would not be too surprised to see a 23' with black interior on a 37 package with 50 more HP or even possibly a hybrid.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are 3 (at least) different aspects to this as I see it. And I have different thoughts on each. The first is whether it's a good time to upgrade because of high used values. I think that's a case by case situation. If you can sell high and wait till you can buy low, then great. That doesn't seem to be the case for most people though. They are selling high and buying high, not really gaining much of anything. I'm not saying it's dumb to do this, but you have to look at what you're buying at in order to really tell if it's that great of a deal.

The second aspect is buying a vehicle that you've never test drove. I'm mixed on this as there definitely vehicles I thought I wanted, until I did a test drive. So your definitely taking a gamble. Then again, there is some fun in getting a new vehicle sooner rather than later, and being one of the first to get it. You could argue that it's just 'keeping up with the jones' mentality, and some truth to that, but I do think most people are ordering Broncos, Raptors, Lightnings, TRXs, etc ASAP because they want to start enjoying in ASAP.

The third aspect is whether you should wait for all the bugs to be worked out of a new model. I see the logic in this for sure, but I honestly don't think I would wait over a year when I'm mentally and financially ready to buy now. I'll take some risk knowing I could end up with a warranty work nightmare. There is always some level of risk However, if I ever got burned with this situation, I imagine my view would change. rather quickly.

As a fourth thought that just occurred to me, I find that I am also wanting to wait not so much for the bugs to be worked out, but because I expect/hope there to be some relatively minor changes to the model coming in the next few years. The two things I don't want to settle for is blue interior and the same engine I already have. I would not be too surprised to see a 23' with black interior on a 37 package with 50 more HP or even possibly a hybrid.
Good points. For me, when it comes to the engine - if it (finally) ain’t broke, don’t fix it!! But DO slap on bigger turbos & better IC allowing us buyers to bump the HP even more easily/safely should we so desire, or retune from factory.....a whole new drivetrain on a whole new platform....be careful what you wish for I think, there’s GOTTA be a reason why Ford went this route & not powerboost for their most off-road-worthy trophy truck that draws in all the tire kickers, & it ain’t b/c their supremely confident in the new powerboost platform under extreme performance conditions....not to say they’re not confident in their newer drivetrains....just not “all in” just yet lol

If I look at what I get in my 801a 2020 vs what I got in my 801a 2018, dollar for dollar feature for feature the 2020 beats it’s ass- so yeah, there’s that too

would you rather have a 2017 w/ lighting in the tranny selector & a plastic oil pan or a 2020 that put the cute lighting aside for live valve shocks lane departure assist a bigger better gauge cluster etc etc? I imagine Ford will pull some of the same shenanigans w/ gen3, pay more $$$$ early on in the generation for less equipment but more hype.

There is something to be said for being one of the first to get the latest & greatest - but when it looks almost identical to the current truck from 50’ away not sure whom you’re impressing lol

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good points. For me, when it comes to the engine - if it (finally) ain’t broke, don’t fix it!! But DO slap on bigger turbos & better IC allowing us buyers to bump the HP even more easily/safely should we so desire, or retune from factory.....

So why didn't they do this? Perhaps they didn't need to in order to drive sales. Or they wanted there to be more of a gap in power between Raptor and Raptor R. Or they didn't like the cost of develpment, testing, warranty. Or they already had a plan to upgrade to something else 2-3 years down the road. A combination of all/some I think.

a whole new drivetrain on a whole new platform....be careful what you wish for I think, there’s GOTTA be a reason why Ford went this route & not powerboost for their most off-road-worthy trophy truck that draws in all the tire kickers, & it ain’t b/c their supremely confident in the new powerboost platform under extreme performance conditions....not to say they’re not confident in their newer drivetrains....just not “all in” just yet lol

Yes, I'm sure much of it had to do with PB not being ready for offroad, but I also think they realize that customers aren't ready for PB in a Raptor either. It makes sense for the PB to be an option in the F150 for a couple years first before being in the Raptor. After all, the TTV6 was on the F150 for 2 years (I think) before coming to the Raptor, and a lot of people still didn't (still don't) like it.

If I look at what I get in my 801a 2020 vs what I got in my 801a 2018, dollar for dollar feature for feature the 2020 beats it’s ***- so yeah, there’s that too

would you rather have a 2017 w/ lighting in the tranny selector & a plastic oil pan or a 2020 that put the cute lighting aside for live valve shocks lane departure assist a bigger better gauge cluster etc etc? I imagine Ford will pull some of the same shenanigans w/ gen3, pay more $$$$ early on in the generation for less equipment but more hype.

There is something to be said for being one of the first to get the latest & greatest - but when it looks almost identical to the current truck from 50’ away not sure whom you’re impressing lol

I bought my Raptor around 2 years ago, and decided between a 2019 Rap at around 72k or a used 2017 with under 2k miles for $60k. I went used. No regrets. Your points are valid, no doubt, it was just the right decision for me at the time. I do think next time, I want to get new with exactly the options I want, raptor assault, and money in reserve for the mods I know I'll want.

BossRaptor

Reaction score
Im in the market for a 19 Raptor at a reasonable price.(hit me up if you have one that would part with) The Phx,Az market is flooded with Gen 2 raptors. I don't see dealers paying big bucks for these trucks anymore but I could be wrong. I think I counted 125 Raptors in the Phx area alone. Prices seem to be ticking down on them from what I've seen on Autotrader.com. Im trying to go private party to save 8.3 % sales tax and the get a little better deal. KBB is waaaaaay off. Far too high on there estimates. I think there is some dealers that paid way over price for them and will need to eat it to get the truck off there lot. Props to the guys that sold there Raptors on the high though.

Teledatgeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know how off they really are. My dealer just offered me 75k. KBB says 74-78k. VRoom offered me 72k.
That seems pretty amazing. I'm looking to sell/trade my '19 the beginning of September with an anticipated 20K miles. Trade number $66K which of course saves me the sales tax on my incoming Gen 3. Seems a little low to me

RadRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody have a tune on their truck when selling it to a dealer?-- how does that go? Take it and CAI off? leave it on?

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do it.

Sell that sucker. I'm an idiot and I am keeping mine lol. But its my only vehicle and I get 550miles per tank and I am out on land a lot. Selling all my condos too but outside of the scope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcj