GEN 2 (SOLVED - IWE Check Valve!) Strangeeee clicking - TqConverter? LSD (non-chemical)?!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dleclerc27

Reaction score
I'm back! Unfortunately. Here's the low-down.

I had a horrid vibrating under braking that I ended up doing new pads on - didn't work. Replaced front rotors - problem solved. Great. A hundred or so miles later, I ended hearing what I thought was a small impact wrench as I was driving, which I thought was someone maybe just using one nearby as I drove by, but soon found that it was me and I believe it's coming from my driver's side wheel but unsure. It usually happens in lower gears, but isn't gear-specific (doesn't always happen in only 1/2/3/4 gear, for instance) and is semi-intermittent and stops after a few seconds.

So, I took off both front wheels and did a brake inspection - nothing evident. I thought something might have been contacting the dust shield, but I didn't see any evidence/wear and manually turned the rotors with each wheel off to see if anything was rubbing - nothing. When replacing my rotors, I did have a wheel stud come loose, but torqued it well and it seated fine. Thought that might have come loose again, so I got the little wheel stud tool to help set them, measured them all before and after using the tool - they were all the same measurement before and after, so it's not like one of those got loose and was contacting the shield, I don't believe. SO it's hard to say if this is related at all to the previous brake work, but everything seems to be very tidy there - brake pad retainers don't seem to have any play, but I guess I'd need to double check, I didn't notice any when getting in 'em the past few days.

I'm attaching a video here, in which you can hear it. If you have any ideas, please let me know! One of the videos is longer and the sound doesn't come until the end - interestingly, it's not just a turning (assumed CV issue) instance. I call out the gears it's in to try to help add as much info as possible. Notably, it only seems to be a low-speed issue, and goes away quite quickly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dleclerc27

Reaction score
Youtube search IWE on F-150.
Wow, this is the "I've never had a Ford truck before" post, huh? Thank you very much - certainly seems like it could be a culprit. Let's hope it's the easy part first, but the good news is that my rotors are brand f' new, so they'll come off without a 10lb sledge this time. Sigh. Thank you very much, I'll be sure to report back! Hope you're all good down there with the weather right now.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Wow, this is the "I've never had a Ford truck before" post, huh? Thank you very much - certainly seems like it could be a culprit. Let's hope it's the easy part first, but the good news is that my rotors are brand f' new, so they'll come off without a 10lb sledge this time. Sigh. Thank you very much, I'll be sure to report back! Hope you're all good down there with the weather right now.
Same as it ever was. 10 year drought, lakes dry out then hurricane blows through and fills everything back up. Rinse and repeat. We'll be fine. :)

OP
OP
D

dleclerc27

Reaction score
If the noise does NOT happen in 4A - then it is 100% IWE related, most probably the $15 IWE checkvalve which takes all of 45 seconds to replace.
Huge help, thank you! I cranked it into 4A yesterday, no issues, so that was a very helpful ID. Check valve went in this morning, all cleared up in 2A. I appreciate you taking the time to read and help, makes a huge difference.

OP
OP
D

dleclerc27

Reaction score
Same as it ever was. 10 year drought, lakes dry out then hurricane blows through and fills everything back up. Rinse and repeat. We'll be fine. :)
Here's hoping! Thank you for the guidance on this issue, I put in a new check valve after testing the solenoid and running a smoke test, worked like a charm. Maybe now I can not feel guilty putting in my Cobb FMIC. Again, thank you for taking the time out of your day to help and I hope you guys are hanging tight down there with the change in weather track.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Huge help, thank you! I cranked it into 4A yesterday, no issues, so that was a very helpful ID. Check valve went in this morning, all cleared up in 2A. I appreciate you taking the time to read and help, makes a huge difference.
No problem, I do what I can round here :p - glad it is fixed!