IWE on a 2020 Rappy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280 Raptor

Reaction score
Yup, I know. Lots of threads on the subject and I read 4 pages on the issue but couldn't find a specific answer. My truck has 30K miles and when putting on new wheels the custom truck shop said I needed new front pads/rotors.

Took it to a locale shop yesterday to have the brake work done and they said the pads have 6mm left and nothing wrong with the rotors. BUT....they said they the IWE is making lots of noise and have excessive play. I call *********! I have never heard any noise what so ever and the steering wheel is tight and no play and it goes into 4 wheel drive just fine.

What are the signs of a bad IWE? They want 1200.00 for the repair but I'm just not hearing any "noise".

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
IWE noise is a grinding noise at low speeds.
If you haven't heard that, pass on the 1.2k bill.

There's stuff you can check yourself and verify if a hose is cracked/solenoid is going bad etc.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Even just before replacing mine, I had a VERY difficult time hearing any noise at all.
Only time I would notice from the driver's seat was with window down and slowly driving next to something that the noise could echo off of; like a guard rail, fence, hedge row, something like that. Otherwise tires, wind, road noise; would cover it up and I wouldn't hear unless I really tried.

OP
OP
5280 Raptor

5280 Raptor

Reaction score
I took the truck behind a strip mall yesterday. To the right was the mall and to the left was a concrete wall. All I could hear was the creaking of the Baja lights. I heard nothing from the front end. I guess I'm not going to worry about it. Thanks for the input guys

Attachments

• IMG_0197.JPG
    IMG_0197.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 8

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If they are making noise a lot of times it’s just a $20 check valve you can swap out yourself in 5 mins, I ordered a spare & keep it in my glovebox, but fwiw my ‘20 has 68k miles & no IWE issues to speak of (& I use 4HI/4A a good bit…not sure if that would increase or decrease chance of IWE issues tho)