Gen2 Live Valve Full Stiffness Cause?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My drivers side rear shock started w/ the buzzing sound initial startup as soon as I’d put it into gear, but then after driving down the road a bit & getting some speed/bumps going it would go away, & not return until the truck sat for a bit like overnight or a couple hours. Now it stopped doing it entirely. I have 73k miles on my 2020 & I don’t know if the shocks are shot or not, seems like ride height is still where it should be & ride comfort still seems decent.

It’s a bit annoying there isn’t a more cost effective way to just refresh the suspension on these trucks. It seems like satisfaction from these rebuild shops is meh at best, seems like 50/50 chance on whether they’re equal to or better than new.

And then it’s like- is the solenoid part of the shock also getting rebuilt? Does it get included w/ new OEM live valve shocks if you went replacement route?

I own my truck outright, mechanically no issues maintained well, brakes/tires recently replaced & I know the suspension is gonna need a refresh but w/ the damn “raptor tax” it’s almost feeling like I should cut ties W/ it & trade for a new ‘24 let someone else sort the suspension out.

I’m still on original ball joints, away bar bushings & endlinks - which I’m sure will need replacement in not too distant future, & then it’s like do you also need new strut bushings/top hats? In very least whether I went rebuild or all new OEM route + deaver springs (maybe I’d leave the fronts alone or maybe also replace??) seems like can easily be in the $5-$6500k range w/ installation….which seems nuts to spend on a 2020 truck w/ 73k miles. Better off trading for $50k ish & then throwing that $5k of suspension cost on as payment wind up $55-$60k down on an new one

EastEndAngler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Similar position. 60,000 miles. Own the truck, well maintained. New tires/brakes/rotors recently. I'm overdue for a live valve reset via a Forscan but part of me feels like my shocks are not what they used to be and/or my rear leafs are toasted. Love the truck, best vehicle I've ever owned but dang the Raptor Tax is real!

OP
OP
T

TravisHTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And then it’s like- is the solenoid part of the shock also getting rebuilt? Does it get included w/ new OEM live valve shocks if you went replacement route?

I agree, the process to maintain the suspension on these trucks is a little annoying. Seems like it pretty much comes down to "You gotta pay to play". From what I understand, during a rebuild, the piston in the live valve mechanism usually does not get touched, other than opened enough to bleed the shock. I don't know if all shops are that way, or if some are more thorough.

The electro magnet solenoid that is installed on the outside of the live valve mechanism, there is nothing really to rebuild there. inside of that metal housing, is a sealed plastic housing which contains the electromagnet. It seems like it would be difficult for these to fail, and if they do, at least they are cheap at $200 a piece.

After going through the process, if you plan on keeping the truck for a while, and use it as your daily, I would recommend buying a second set of shocks.

I’m still on original ball joints, away bar bushings & endlinks - which I’m sure will need replacement in not too distant future, & then it’s like do you also need new strut bushings/top hats? In very least whether I went rebuild or all new OEM route + deaver springs (maybe I’d leave the fronts alone or maybe also replace??) seems like can easily be in the $5-$6500k range w/ installation….which seems nuts to spend on a 2020 truck w/ 73k miles. Better off trading for $50k ish & then throwing that $5k of suspension cost on as payment wind up $55-$60k down on an new one

Yea, that thought crossed my mind a few times. If the new car prices had not gotten so insane, I likely would have just done a trade in, and let the dealer worry about it. Just in my area, there are like 200 Raptors available, I have a feeling invoice pricing may be doable toward the end of the year.

Similar position. 60,000 miles. Own the truck, well maintained. New tires/brakes/rotors recently. I'm overdue for a live valve reset via a Forscan but part of me feels like my shocks are not what they used to be and/or my rear leafs are toasted. Love the truck, best vehicle I've ever owned but dang the Raptor Tax is real!

Too bad you guys aren't close to me. I have a set of HD +3 Deavers with about 30k miles (29,500 highway) I would sell for a reasonable price. I just don't want to jack with shipping them. One of these days, I will post them in the garage sale section.

Luckily OEM parts aren't horribly expensive on sites like Tasca.