Truck shut off while driving and popped DTC's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickW

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone has some ideas on what I should look at after a strange incident and the load of codes that came up. Driving for about an hour on the interstate when my truck just "turns off." I was using cruise control at the time this happened. It was as-if I hit the start/stop button, everything just turned off. I coasted to a stop, checked for anything obvious then started it back up and everything appeared to be fine. No lights on the dash and truck drove the remaining 30 min to my destination without an issue. Truck sat for a few hours, then when driving the 1.5 hours home I got a ABS warning that my abs system was malfunctioning and my ABS light popped up on the dash. Pulled over, restarted truck and again everything appeared fine and I carefully drove the rest of the way home. This happened three days ago and I haven't had any more issues while driving, up to this point.

I have forscan, so I pulled DTC's and this is what I had:

P0556 - PCM has detected a fault in the brake booster pressure sensor circuit
P061A - Internal control module torque performance
U0155 - lost communication with Instrument Panel Cluster Control Module (IPC)
U0253 - lost Communication with Accessory Protocol Interface Module
U0401 - invalid data received from ECM/PCM “A.”
U0452 - invalid data received rom Restraints Control Module
P050F - brake assist vacuum is too low
B1166 - front right puddle lamp
C1B15-15-0A - Sensor Supply Voltage B: Circuit Short To Battery or Open
U0140 - lost communication with BCM

I've done an inspection on the lines and components that feed the vacuum to the brake booster and did not see anything obvious. I'm thinking of ordering those lines and components and just replacing them to see if that solves my brake related issues (see pic below), but the other codes are what is puzzling. I attempted to clear all of the codes and one of them would not clear: C1B15-15-0A. I can't find any threads pertaining to that specific code here or on other forums.

Thanks for any help, advice, input, bashing, complaints, etc!

Image 7-12-24 at 8.08 AM.jpeg

sc85fiero

Reaction score
U0140, U0401 and P061A are part of SSM 48563 which states: Some 2017-2020 F-150 vehicles may exhibit a no crank/no start, auto start stop inoperative, illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) and/or powertrain malfunction indicator lamp, transmission shift concerns, diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P061A, U0140, U0401, U0101, U0074 and/or U0037 being set in the powertrain control module (PCM), transmission control module (TCM), instrument panel cluster (IPC), front controls interface module (FCIM), anti-lock braking system (ABS) module and/or power steering control module (PSCM). This may be due to the 15525 transmission wire harness not being properly secured. Visually inspect the harness for possible damage and proper routing at the rear of the engine down to the transmission. Repair as necessary. If no concerns are found, proceed with normal diagnosis.

P0556 and P050F are most assuredly related to each other, if you do not have transmission wiring harness chafing, then maybe you have a rodent issue chewing on some wiring? Or possibly moisture/corrosion in a bulkhead connector?

shot gunning all those parts at it are not likely going to fix your concern as it is most likely an electrical problem but identifying the issue and performing necessary repairs are the biggest challenge right now.

Also, the C1B15 and B1166 are both issues with the passenger side rearview mirror, obviously check your wiring going to the mirror and if you have to dig further, check the wiring going from the body into the door to make sure there is no damage.

-Joe

OP
OP
NickW

NickW

Reaction score
U0140, U0401 and P061A are part of SSM 48563 which states: Some 2017-2020 F-150 vehicles may exhibit a no crank/no start, auto start stop inoperative, illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) and/or powertrain malfunction indicator lamp, transmission shift concerns, diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P061A, U0140, U0401, U0101, U0074 and/or U0037 being set in the powertrain control module (PCM), transmission control module (TCM), instrument panel cluster (IPC), front controls interface module (FCIM), anti-lock braking system (ABS) module and/or power steering control module (PSCM). This may be due to the 15525 transmission wire harness not being properly secured. Visually inspect the harness for possible damage and proper routing at the rear of the engine down to the transmission. Repair as necessary. If no concerns are found, proceed with normal diagnosis.

P0556 and P050F are most assuredly related to each other, if you do not have transmission wiring harness chafing, then maybe you have a rodent issue chewing on some wiring? Or possibly moisture/corrosion in a bulkhead connector?

shot gunning all those parts at it are not likely going to fix your concern as it is most likely an electrical problem but identifying the issue and performing necessary repairs are the biggest challenge right now.

Also, the C1B15 and B1166 are both issues with the passenger side rearview mirror, obviously check your wiring going to the mirror and if you have to dig further, check the wiring going from the body into the door to make sure there is no damage.

-Joe

Thank you, Joe! That's a lot of great information to get me started. The reason I was looking to shotgun those parts is because of a key reason I forgot to mention in my post. I had disconnected a few of those vacuum hoses and moved that assembly out of the way because of needing to bleed my master cylinder a few months ago. Additionally, the brake bleeder I was using leaked brake fluid in that general area so I'm wondering if any of that fluid got into a connector or sensor. Shortly after completing that job I received the abs error twice in the course of two weeks. Being busy prevented me from working on it and it didn't come back so I pretended like it never happened. Strangely it came back the same day that my truck just shut itself off.

I also found this THREAD with the same codes and thought it would be a lazy way to fix it OR to rule those parts out.

I found that my passenger side puddle light is out, so that likely explains those last two codes.

Thanks again for your response, that's really helpful and I'll be checking everything out that you listed.

Man, that many at once I would look at a PCM, battery or ground issue.

I had the same thought, but I haven't seen anything that looks like a problem. I'll look closer this weekend.

OP
OP
NickW

NickW

Reaction score
Update: I had a chance today to pull the skid plates off and inspect under the truck as well as in the engine bay and I did not see any issues with wiring, harness routing or chaffing, battery wiring, etc. I also inspected the brake booster, sensor, assembly, etc and did not see any issues there either.

On Friday I cleared all of the DTCs except C1B15-15-0A because it wouldn't clear. When I pulled DTCs today, they were all back with exception to the puddle lamp, because I replaced it and it works. I still need to try and isolate the mirrors and see if I can locate what is causing this DTC.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: I had a chance today to pull the skid plates off and inspect under the truck as well as in the engine bay and I did not see any issues with wiring, harness routing or chaffing, battery wiring, etc. I also inspected the brake booster, sensor, assembly, etc and did not see any issues there either.

On Friday I cleared all of the DTCs except C1B15-15-0A because it wouldn't clear. When I pulled DTCs today, they were all back with exception to the puddle lamp, because I replaced it and it works. I still need to try and isolate the mirrors and see if I can locate what is causing this DTC.
Since that DTC won’t clear, that indicates it’s an active fault. You’ll want to start diagnosis there, it will likely lead you to the root cause of the other symptoms.