SnoBall Preparations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey, I got a set of duallys that are staying on with the switch off, any ideas?

They were working fine when originally installed, but after a trip north and back they aren't anymore.

Should mention that it is a traditional set up. I. E. Relay and a stand-alone switch.
Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Last edited:

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow some of youall are ambitious packing up 6 days in advance! It takes me all week just to figure out what not to take. Rain X in a heated garage today and new tires on Monday pack on wedensday and I am done.

OP
OP
carlschmarl2

carlschmarl2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up last year I had back country navigator on nexus 7 and droid rzr maxx.. Neither one of them worked once I lost cell service. Both used a-gps (assisted gps) and not true gps, once cell tower triangulation was lost navigation was too..

-Greg (aka Squatting Dog)

Well that's real ******* encouraging. Glad I wasted the money on the tablet, Ram mounts, and Ap.

What topo overlays did you download?

sabumaru

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a galaxy tab and it does have gps
But for instance an iphone as gps as well

You should be able to abuse its signal for the tab

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 AM ----------

That was it.... damn... why didn't I think if that? ? Oh yeah I'm mechanical not electrical.

Thanks bud. I owe yeah a beer next time you're in the states.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Haha
I'm a bussniss analist and database developer
And a relay is a mechanical device used for electic setups

;)

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

RaptorWifey

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
FRF Lady
Reaction score
Backcountry Ap Tutorial and questions for a clueless new guy:

I bought and downloaded the Backcountry Ap for my tablet.

I then downloaded the route with way-points onto the tablet.

Which map overlay should I use?

How do I save the maps onto the tablet for use when there's no wifi/reception?

How far should I zoom in to save the maps?

Hi Carl,

What Tablet are you running? We have a Samsung Tab 2 with the BackCountry and it works great!.

As far as map, it is about preference, just check them all out, zoom in and see if its something you think will work for you out there. You could even try out some local to you driving around to see what you like.
Yukon and I will be running, Accuterra Single Layer Topo for Snoball. but I've used different ones for other runs, including the Forest Service Road maps, Cal topo and even a topo imagary one.

To save the maps for when there is no wifi, you need to download it. Once you've chosen a map you should press "select areas for download" you will use your finger to trace the areas you need. This can be a pain, because you can't really just zoom out and select everything. For the best results, I zoom into like 11 or 12 depending on the map and select a portion, then hit the scroll button and select more, until I've covered the whole route with what I need... its time consuming but I find it gives me the best results... once I'm done selecting, I zoom in really far 18, 19 ish. Granted I don't have a ton off the route, but I do have the route up to an excellent zoom. In my experience, if you select too much you might have problems downloading or with space.

To test to make sure you saved it and that it looks good all we do is turn our wi-fi off since our Tab is not on a phone plan or anything.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions or problems.

Nicole

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

Well that's real ******* encouraging. Glad I wasted the money on the tablet, Ram mounts, and Ap.

What topo overlays did you download?

If your tablet has a stand alone GPS you will be fine. We were perfect in SD, Havoc, ect....

OP
OP
carlschmarl2

carlschmarl2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Carl,

What Tablet are you running? We have a Samsung Tab 2 with the BackCountry and it works great!.

As far as map, it is about preference, just check them all out, zoom in and see if its something you think will work for you out there. You could even try out some local to you driving around to see what you like.
Yukon and I will be running, Accuterra Single Layer Topo for Snoball. but I've used different ones for other runs, including the Forest Service Road maps, Cal topo and even a topo imagary one.

To save the maps for when there is no wifi, you need to download it. Once you've chosen a map you should press "select areas for download" you will use your finger to trace the areas you need. This can be a pain, because you can't really just zoom out and select everything. For the best results, I zoom into like 11 or 12 depending on the map and select a portion, then hit the scroll button and select more, until I've covered the whole route with what I need... its time consuming but I find it gives me the best results... once I'm done selecting, I zoom in really far 18, 19 ish. Granted I don't have a ton off the route, but I do have the route up to an excellent zoom. In my experience, if you select too much you might have problems downloading or with space.

To test to make sure you saved it and that it looks good all we do is turn our wi-fi off since our Tab is not on a phone plan or anything.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions or problems.

Nicole

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

If your tablet has a stand alone GPS you will be fine. We were perfect in SD, Havoc, ect....

We got the Asus MeMO Pad FHD 10. It says it has a built in GPS supported by Glonass.

Will the sections of maps automatically synch with each other or will I have to scroll through to a new one once we're through the fist one?