SnoBall Preparations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
it's an experience in itself the radio's are worth it get a good one I recommend tyt9000 the others are ok but the tyt reach out more. watch the sdbr video RW did or some of mine not as good but still some radio chatter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rjO06lVvacY

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

lol not as good^ haha not even close to RW

joekai

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White light is worthless in snow (it reflects right back at you). Amber or Blue covers are a must...

How different are the blue compared to yellow? Any pros cons?

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

My biggest concern is I would like to use the diffused e series on road as well as off road. But the lux chart says about 100 meters for diffused. But don't know if the flood would be too bright and too far on road even with amber covers.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How different are the blue compared to yellow? Any pros cons?

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

My biggest concern is I would like to use the diffused e series on road as well as off road. But the lux chart says about 100 meters for diffused. But don't know if the flood would be too bright and too far on road even with amber covers.

Blue is specifically for snow. Amber also works well in dust, dirt conditions as well as snow.

OP
OP
carlschmarl2

carlschmarl2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blue is specifically for snow. Amber also works well in dust, dirt conditions as well as snow.

When snowmobiling I use blue lenses in my goggles during the day and yellow at night. For whatever reasons, they seem to work best for me like that. I can't imagine lights would be much different. YMMV...

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What's a good inexpensive radio to get?

It's not on the "required" list of items, so is it really necessary or more of a luxury/novelty item to have?

Baoefeng UV-5R. 5 mile radius without purchasing anything else. 49.99 on amazon. I bought a mic for it and the software. Brought it to 99.99 with shipping.

I'll get you a link when I get back to my computer.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For us north east folks, it's time to lick our wounds from the awesome Havoc in the Hills run and get ready for the next great GLRE event. Snoball 500, to take place mid January. Everyone start their Christmas list early and get the trucks ready for the sub zero temperatures. Good tires and a solid 4x4 system are a must. And a reliable way to mount the spare tire in the bed of the truck.

This is a follow the leader style run and you will need a good radio or hand held. Hit up Trey or Kanakry.

Also, a way to follow the route with a GPS or good tablet App will add to your experience on this run.

The days may run long and the sun sets early, aftermarket lighting is a huge benefit.

Don't forget to stock the truck up with snacks, drinks, ice scraper, and washer fluid. The gas stops are few and far between.

Snoball bound! !

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381759103396.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381759103396.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 70
  • uploadfromtaptalk1381759146562.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381759146562.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 61
  • uploadfromtaptalk1381759191424.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381759191424.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 62
  • uploadfromtaptalk1381759227966.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381759227966.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 63

joekai

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i might have to sell my truck if I don't get in....

not really but ill be pretty bummed out....

Last edited: