SnoBall Preparations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

amphibian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stupid question #1: How do you use ratchet straps to strap a spare in the bed? What do you tie down to?

Stupid question #2: I've got a few marine vhfs floating around from racing boats, I assume those are different bands than the vhfs you all are using?

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Stupid question #1: How do you use ratchet straps to strap a spare in the bed? What do you tie down to?

Stupid question #2: I've got a few marine vhfs floating around from racing boats, I assume those are different bands than the vhfs you all are using?

You can either go through the spokes or just over the top to the bed tie downs.

Similar frequencies but they are not pre-determined "channels" freqs are posted in the havoc post or snoball or sdbr posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

grantoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey shooter.... any experience with rigid diffused lights?

I have them... 2 in the fog light positions. Aimed slightly outward. The definitely don't reach out there like the driving lights do, but they really brighten things up close to the truck. They also are great for brightening up things to the sides of the truck when going around tight turns

You can see them lit up in my sig pic... They are the white ones

Last edited:

joekai

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No plus I can get you a better radio for less money.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Thanks Jason. Well I guess if they're mandatory for next year then ill need one. Can you pm me a price? And ill add it to my christmas list :-D

---------- Post added at 05:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 AM ----------

I have them... 2 in the fog light positions. Aimed slightly outward. The definitely don't reach out there like the driving lights do, but they really brighten things up close to the truck. They also are great for brightening up things to the sides of the truck when going around tight turns

You can see them lit up in my sig pic... They are the white ones

Well that's what I'm looking for. I'm going with the e series next ti the license plate. Then floods and spots nextyear in the fog openings

Do yu have amber covrs fr them or just run them white?

Last edited:

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, so in order:

I do not have experiance with diffused, but I did have Dullay Amber Fogs on the outside of my fog lights for awhile. I felt the light was worthless while driving at night. Only was visible at close distances and only usefull at slow speeds. I swapped them out for Dullay Amber Spots and I'm much happier.

That's right, I forgot about the chainsaw. I will have her with again this year for sure.

For the tie downs in the bed, there is a D ring sold by Dodge for the Sprinter Van. It's cheap, like 3-4 bucks and works great. You'll need a Torx T-55, if memory serves, to get the bed bolts out. I used a long Craftsman breaker bar and my impact gun to get them out. Go slow or else you could strip them. I bought 4 and was the talk of the dealer ship when I showed up to get them from the parts department.

The frequencies we run are from the FCC's MURS band. The are VHF in the low 150 MHZ. The marine band is the upper 150s and is not for use on land unless you're talking to a boat (ship to shore). Kanakry has some good radios for sale. Support your forum vendors, I always say!

Holy shit! I can't stop thinking about SnoBall!

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jason. Well I guess if they're mandatory for next year then ill need one. Can you pm me a price? And ill add it to my christmas list :-D

---------- Post added at 05:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 AM ----------

Well that's what I'm looking for. I'm going with the e series next ti the license plate. Then floods and spots nextyear in the fog openings

White light is worthless in snow (it reflects right back at you). Amber or Blue covers are a must...

Dan06

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I believe they will be mandatory this year since they are for havoc.

There's ongoing threads about radios search and read my friend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Unless I'm missing something, radios are only "recommended" for Havoc.

"Recommended additional items:
1. You do not need a Co-pilot but it is recommended to help with communication traffic and navigating the trails. Plus it’s more fun with someone in the truck with you.
2. VHF/FRS radio
3. Navigation: Lowrance, Garmin, Android/Apple tablet with an offroad map app.
4. 5 gallons extra gas
5. A Come along
6. Floor jack and some wood blocks to help support it in soft surfaces
7. Auxiliary lighting* Optional for the event, but REQUIRED to participate in the KC HiLites Night Run
8. First Aid Kit
9. Tools"

Last edited:

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I concur. I didn't use my hood lights much due to the bounce back. I'm hoping a spot beam with it's more narrow cross section will induce less reflected light to me. I also ran Amber Covers on my Rigid 20" bar in the lower grill. I ran without my HID headlights on for most of the trails. Just ran the lower lights and the parking lights.

PhotoJan1963005PM.jpg

IMG_1594-1.jpg

PhotoJan1962939PM.jpg

PhotoJan1962909PM.jpg

I added the last two pics in an attempt to illustrate what driving with no headlights was like. I lost some near vehicle area lighting, but I was so focused down trail it wasn't an issue until we came to tight areas, which there were some.

Last edited:

grantoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I run the white.. I also want to do the snoball this year so ill be buying lots of amber covers! 2 little fogs and a 40 inch behind the grill will need to be covered. I can see how white wouldn't work well in snow

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Radios are always an asset even if they are only recommended. Havoc is a closed course which is a different animal. I believe they will be changed to a required item for Snoball. I can't stress enough how much better good communication makes these events. You will not regret buying a radio even if you think you will only go to one event.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2