SnoBall Preparations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
By now everyone that is planning on having rear facing amber lights has probably already put them on, any way here are a couple of photos of how mine were installed and what they look like one. They have 21 different patterns including ON. The two issues I have was when I first made the bracket I had the light to close to the rear window and the slider hit and would only open half way. The other issue is that my pattern select button in currently in the glove box, it’s hidden but a pain to see what pattern they are on.

What's the brand of the lights? And do you have write up on this? It Looks Awesome!

Kanakry

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good to know. Have you tried them out in the winter yet?

Thanks Wilson, I will probably leave the Nitto on I just am having a little uncertainty. The fact that I have the stock ones sitting in storage all ready to go just makes it tempting.

Thought about having some extra sipping done but we really don't have any tire shops around here familiar with doing it.

No Tire is great in all snow conditions.

A Mud type tire works great in deep snow but can feel like a lack on control on packed/plowed surfaces

Stock/Duratrac tires are great on packed surfaces but can lack the ability to effectively "clear" the treads in deep snow.

You have to try to figure out what type of conditions you will be in the majority of the time and go with that type of tire.

The driver is still the item that matters the most.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lab are they stud-able maybe just have them put in the minimal just enough to have some ice grip? I don't even know if that is possible. IMO that would be the best of both worlds.

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No Tire is great in all snow conditions.

A Mud type tire works great in deep snow but can feel like a lack on control on packed/plowed surfaces

Stock/Duratrac tires are great on packed surfaces but can lack the ability to effectively "clear" the treads in deep snow.

You have to try to figure out what type of conditions you will be in the majority of the time and go with that type of tire.

The driver is still the item that matters the most.

Thanks for the input. The clearing the lugs in deep snow is something I have been thinking about as the main reason to keep the Nitto. Absolutely love them in dirt and in the rocks at Havoc. Just doubting my decision to run them for this event. Probably just leave them on and try to keep myself on the trail, lol. You are right it boils down to the narrow area between the ears of the driver. Wanted to make sure I give myself the best chance to succeed.

Thanks Wilson but studded tires are a no go here even if they were legal in Michigan(believe they are not).

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've only had studs on one set of tires I bout the car that way lol. how many miles do you have on the tires so far? they are oily and need time to where that off and if you've only had them in snow it's not wearing or breaking in too fast. find a clear spot and do the race car swerve break them in good. I noticed with the stock that I might have got a bit over anxious by the time I got the new tires the om where seeming to be better. about 3k to properly break in a tire. I never knew it but you can read up on it.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mark - Most discount tires shops should have the siping machines. Think there's one in Bloomington. I had my MTZs siped there, ran them last year with good results. Todd ran them this past trip with great success too.

That said i'm sure you will be fine w/o it, just additional traction for hardpack. The toyo tread pattern is quite similar, and already found they performed well in deep snow and no complaints on the hardpack roads this winter. I dont think the sipes would look so pretty after a havoc type trip though, which is why i did not do the toyos...

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A Havoc type run is just exactly why I am not too worried about sipping.

Thanks for the heads up on how yours performed.