Reviews Starting to Come In...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
F

fts

Reaction score
I like almost everything about the G3. I was not much into G2, did not fit my needs at the time, but I knew it was special. Today, my needs changed and a Raptor is just nearly perfect. Essentially, it is buying a improved and enhanced version of G2 at nearly the same price.

However, one thing is a disappointment for me: the 2 kW invertor/generator. First it is a bit small, wish it was 7.2 kW, but more importantly, because this is not a PowerBoost hybrid configuration, the engine has to be running to use the generator. It is never fun to inhale exhaust fumes while tailgating :(

RaptorWhoSaysNI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the question everyone needs to honestly answer:
Would you really take the gen 3 over base trx than can be had for 68k, with 250 more hp, intoxicating v8 with a blower, 3.5 sec 0-60, 12 sec quarter mile?
These trucks are too close in price to ignore the 700hp elephant in the room. I bought my supercab raptor at msrp of 54k and loved it for what it was at that price point. I don’t care about lane keep Asist, blind spot blah bla blah. I wanted a raptor for what made it one. Now at 70k entry point it’s a completely different argument
And who the hell cares about 1/4 mile times or 0-60 with a high performance OFF-ROAD truck!! All I care about is how hard and how fast I can go through the trails and over rocks and such or how many dirtbikes I can fit in the bed! If one is buying a Raptor or TRX for the street maybe they should rethink the purchase and allow someone else to buy one who will really use the truck for what it's meant for and will thoroughly enjoy it. BTW I prefer higher torque over horsepower any day of the week and weekend. Just my $.02 for what it's worth.

ScrumHooker

Reaction score
I like almost everything about the G3. I was not much into G2, did not fit my needs at the time, but I knew it was special. Today, my needs changed and a Raptor is just nearly perfect. Essentially, it is buying a improved and enhanced version of G2 at nearly the same price.

However, one thing is a disappointment for me: the 2 kW invertor/generator. First it is a bit small, wish it was 7.2 kW, but more importantly, because this is not a PowerBoost hybrid configuration, the engine has to be running to use the generator. It is never fun to inhale exhaust fumes while tailgating :(
I didn't opt for the power tech package because I'd rather have a purpose built generator (and bigger) that I could take along for camping or tailgating. Not to say that it won't have it uses for people who can utilize the built-in generator.

Reactions: fts

leinad1904

Full Access Member
Reaction score

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Would you really take the gen 3 over base trx than can be had for 68k, with 250 more hp, intoxicating v8 with a blower, 3.5 sec 0-60, 12 sec quarter mile?
These trucks are too close in price to ignore the 700hp elephant in the room. I bought my supercab raptor at msrp of 54k and loved it for what it was at that price point. I don’t care about lane keep Asist, blind spot blah bla blah. I wanted a raptor for what made it one. Now at 70k entry point it’s a completely different argument
Absolutely. My number one priority is range, I routinely go way off pavement for a week at a time. 33 gallons at 5mpg(offroad) is a non starter. I'd have to carry 50 gallons of extra gas to get the same range. I wouldn't take a TRX if you gave it to me. Sorry.

Edit to add: If my only use was on road, I wouldn't buy either one. There a too many other fun toys that go much faster and handle better.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My reasoning in being Out on the TRX:
1. 8 MPg
2. $200+/month insurance
3. It’s a dodge

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And who the hell cares about 1/4 mile times or 0-60 with a high performance OFF-ROAD truck!! All I care about is how hard and how fast I can go through the trails and over rocks and such or how many dirtbikes I can fit in the bed! If one is buying a Raptor or TRX for the street maybe they should rethink the purchase and allow someone else to buy one who will really use the truck for what it's meant for and will thoroughly enjoy it. BTW I prefer higher torque over horsepower any day of the week and weekend. Just my $.02 for what it's worth.
I agree whole heartedly. However, don’t knock a person if they buy either truck & don’t use it for its intended purpose. Perhaps they enjoy some of the finer things in life & don’t care to beat the **** out it & will enjoy it all the same!

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I did not know you have to have the engine running. That really sucks.

Reactions: fts

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Absolutely. My number one priority is range, I routinely go way off pavement for a week at a time. 33 gallons at 5mpg(offroad) is a non starter. I'd have to carry 50 gallons of extra gas to get the same range. I wouldn't take a TRX if you gave it to me. Sorry.

Edit to add: If my only use was on road, I wouldn't buy either one. There a too many other fun toys that go much faster and handle better.
GordoJay, I’d take it. You ever got a present that you re-gifted to someone? Lmao Some things you just have to re-gift or resell.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
GordoJay, I’d take it. You ever got a present that you re-gifted to someone? Lmao Some things you just have to re-gift or resell.
You're right. I'd take it, drive the heck out of it for a month, sell it, and keep the money. I'd be tempted to see how high I could jump it ... maybe it would come down to whether I needed to count it as income and pay taxes on the value. I wouldn't destroy it if it cost me money.

Status
Not open for further replies.