GEN 2 Quick Questions - Synthetic Oil and Rear Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Basil S2K

Reaction score
2019 with 50K miles on it.

Rear pads are almost done while fronts are fine. Why would rear pads wear out before the front? Mechanic said may be because of the e-brake but i never use it. He wants to also change the rotors as they can't be cut? seems strange. no doubt that the pads are almost done, heard the same when i get new tires mounted.

I've always gone to the dealer for service, people like that when I go to sell it. Dealer does the oil changes and uses regular oil, had to get oil changed and couldn't get to the dealer, they did synthetic. any issues? what do you all use?

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
The stability control system applies the rear brakes pretty often to keep the rear following instead of passing the front, among other times. This causes the rear to wear quicker. Also, the front pads are a LOT thicker than the rears.

OP
OP
B

Basil S2K

Reaction score
ok that makes sense thanks.

Still have questions on replacing the rotors.

localbrew

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most shops stopped cutting rotors a long time ago. Just easier and quicker to replace the rotors, plus they make more money that way. I rarely do pads and not replace the rotors as well. I'm sure you'd be fine as long as your rotors aren't warped and within specs (thickness). I just replace them as a matter of piece of mind.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Removing mass reduces thermal efficiency. Would be far less noticeable on the rear set as they do far less work. Then again, many do fine with OE brakes as a whole. Myself and others not so much.

localbrew

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not my dealer cut my rears. And they have been without incident for over a year.
That's impressive, most shops won't do that any more. I had been doing that for years on previous vehicles and like you never had a problem. When rotor prices have dropped so significantly that's mainly when I would just replace them, or if I found them on sale I would just stock up on a set.

Where warping wasn't a factor and there was plenty of material left I've just replaced pads before as well. Probably not the most ideal but it was fine. I guess now a days I just error on the side of caution and just replace the rotors for piece of mind.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's impressive, most shops won't do that any more. I had been doing that for years on previous vehicles and like you never had a problem. When rotor prices have dropped so significantly that's mainly when I would just replace them, or if I found them on sale I would just stock up on a set.

Where warping wasn't a factor and there was plenty of material left I've just replaced pads before as well. Probably not the most ideal but it was fine. I guess now a days I just error on the side of caution and just replace the rotors for piece of mind.
The rear pads have a huge gap in them to bias braking so i assume that there was likely little to no wear on the rotors.

localbrew

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of saving $$ and yah I agree with you, likely little to no wear. I've got to do the front brakes on the wife's SUV when it cools off a bit here, fun times! lol