GEN 1 Possible Injector ticking? Not sure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NoahE

Reaction score
Hey all,

New here and just recently purchased a 2012 Raptor with around 154k miles on it. Picked it up from AZ and drove it back to MN.

Recently I’ve been hearing a steady ticking noise coming from the engine bay. I can hear it inside the cab and outside without even having the hood up. It gets faster as I increase RPM as well, but it stays steady at idle. I have noticed that it got a little louder with time, but I cannot find any thread/video talking/replicating this sound. Also, when I start slowing down from around 60mph it will randomly stop when downshifting, then come back when I reach around 30-40mph. Really confused with this one.

I just brought it in to the ford dealership today to have them take a look at it and was told they’re just noisy injectors and not to worry about it… I’m new to the 6.2s but want some more experienced opinions on this. I’ll have a video attached as well for the noise.

Attachments

• IMG_0035.mov
    14.3 MB

mtnghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like injectors to me, try running some Lucus fuel additive. It’s almost an oil, and it goes into the fuel tank. Should quiet down and clean those suckers at the same time.

OP
OP
NoahE

NoahE

Reaction score
Sounds like injectors to me, try running some Lucus fuel additive. It’s almost an oil, and it goes into the fuel tank. Should quiet down and clean those suckers at the same time.
Thanks, definitely going to try that out and see if it helps.

mtnghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering as under normal circumstances I would not suggest additive. Most owners manuals suggest never adding anything to any of the fluids including the fuel. In the case of my injectors being louder than normal in another vehicle I tried the Lucus and it quieted them down. It also helped with the whine from the fuel pump that occurred only when running E85. I think ethanol just dries everything out and this stuff just re lubricates it. Anyway, if it doesn’t help I will try and think of something else. Likely one or more of the injectors is tired.

Justbob

Reaction score
99% sure that is the injectors. I would say though that my truck only really does this on start up and once the engine is warm, you can barely hear it. I second the use of the fuel injector cleaner.

OP
OP
NoahE

NoahE

Reaction score
Just wondering as under normal circumstances I would not suggest additive. Most owners manuals suggest never adding anything to any of the fluids including the fuel. In the case of my injectors being louder than normal in another vehicle I tried the Lucus and it quieted them down. It also helped with the whine from the fuel pump that occurred only when running E85. I think ethanol just dries everything out and this stuff just re lubricates it. Anyway, if it doesn’t help I will try and think of something else. Likely one or more of the injectors is tired.
So it looks like it did quiet down for a couple days, but after those couple days right back to it. When I originally brought it to the Ford Dealer he said it’s normal for them to be a little louder, and he wouldn’t want to try and sell me anything at that point.

OP
OP
NoahE

NoahE

Reaction score
99% sure that is the injectors. I would say though that my truck only really does this on start up and once the engine is warm, you can barely hear it. I second the use of the fuel injector cleaner.
I’d definitely say it’s louder on start up, but only quiets down a little when engine gets warm. Ran through a tank with the fuel cleaner and it helped for a little, but the noise came back to about the same noise level.

mtnghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a stronger cleaner is needed, such as sea foam. Worth a shot at $7 at Walmart. Worst that can happen is you get better fuel mileage and a cleaner engine and fuel system.