Pads and Rotors Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CVP33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stopping distance is a function of tire traction. Once they slip, antilock, that’s the best you can do. I agree that improved performance from less brake fade and better feeling as they take less pedal pressure, but stopping distance from a pad change. Don’t buy it. Common sense will tell you your tire traction is key. If you change brake bias maybe be better. I agree better performance can be had, just not stopping distance if all things are equal except pads.
So if 2 cars are running the same tires on all four corners and weigh the same they will effectively stop in the same distance regardless of brake set up, brake pad compounds, rotor size, pad material, caliper setup and irrespective of drums or discs? You my friend have a lot to learn about how cars and trucks stop. LOL

Here’s some homework. Look up the stopping distance for a C7 Z06 with the performance iron brakes, then look up the stopping distance for the same C7 Z06 with Carbon Ceramic brakes. Same weight of the vehicles, same suspension, same tires……different brakes. Let me know what you find out and then ask me how I knew that.

Attachments

• IMG_1645.jpeg
    IMG_1645.jpeg
    308.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So if 2 cars are running the same tires on all four corners and weigh the same they will effectively stop in the same distance regardless of brake set up, brake pad compounds, rotor size, pad material, caliper setup and irrespective of drums or discs? You my friend have a lot to learn about how cars and trucks stop. LOL

Here’s some homework. Look up the stopping distance for a C7 Z06 with the performance iron brakes, then look up the stopping distance for the same C7 Z06 with Carbon Ceramic brakes. Same weight of the vehicles, same suspension, same tires……different brakes. Let me know what you find out and then ask me how I knew that.
Explain how once you slam the brakes and the anti lock brakes kick in, how you are going to stop quicker. Your tires are slipping and the system is controlling the slip. Stopping distance has more to do with tire traction and computer speed. If different pads change braking bias, from say, 70-30 to 80-20 then maybe improved stopping distance could be better. But, like I said, all things being equal, tire traction is the dictating factor.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pavement surface also matters a lot. If car and driver is doing 60-0 tests is that on a prepped surface or dusty broken pavement? A firmer pedal and pads with good initial bite sure do feel good though.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stopping distance is a function of tire traction. Once they slip, antilock, that’s the best you can do. I agree that improved performance from less brake fade and better feeling as they take less pedal pressure, but stopping distance from a pad change. Don’t buy it. Common sense will tell you your tire traction is key. If you change brake bias maybe be better. I agree better performance can be had, just not stopping distance if all things are equal except pads.
Biggest misnomer of all time...

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Explain how once you slam the brakes and the anti lock brakes kick in, how you are going to stop quicker. Your tires are slipping and the system is controlling the slip. Stopping distance has more to do with tire traction and computer speed. If different pads change braking bias, from say, 70-30 to 80-20 then maybe improved stopping distance could be better. But, like I said, all things being equal, tire traction is the dictating factor.
SO much wrong here... The key to stopping is threshold braking, NOT sliding and intermittently LOSING (intentionally releasing pressure) traction. ABS extends braking distance and was designed to maintain control while braking and maneuvering. NOT shortest possible braking distance. The greater coefficient of friction coupled with a less compressible pad, and less out gassing all equal up to more control at threshold. As a side note, with the Alcon setup I now have to TRY (hard) to get into ABS and its a rare event. Meaning I don't need to apply near the pedal pressure to achieve the desired result.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
SO much wrong here... The key to stopping is threshold braking, NOT sliding and intermittently LOSING (intentionally releasing pressure) traction. ABS extends braking distance and was designed to maintain control while braking and maneuvering. NOT shortest possible braking distance. The greater coefficient of friction coupled with a less compressible pad, and less out gassing all equal up to more control at threshold. As a side note, with the Alcon setup I now have to TRY (hard) to get into ABS and it’s a rare event. Meaning I don't need to apply near the pedal pressure to achieve the desired result.
So right I am, you just want sell stuff. I agree with your condition for improved performance but it was not the issue. The issue was all things being equal and just changing pads. Does that reduce stopping distance. No it does not. The abs will dictate based on available traction. Traction will dictate that on any system. If you take your system and swap out pads, not much will change as far as stopping distance.
I am sure there are ways to improve different performance parameters. Such as brake feel, less fade , wear etc…. If you make the abs faster or improve caliper performance you could gain because the system would be adjusting quicker, does not release as much, finer adjustments etc, but it would do that with different pads. Might have to push harder on the pedal to get the same level, but the system would respond the same.
Please explain how you are going to get more traction.
I wipe out rotors hauling as s down Wolf Creek pass every year. Would love to find a system that would correct that. Cooling is what I need, I read where these systems remove the rotor shroud, that would help but with all the mud I drive in, not sure that is wise.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy and frf rolodex
Supporting Member
Reaction score
e=mc²
a2 – b2 = (a – b)(a + b)
(a + b)3 = a3 + 3a2b + 3ab2 + b3 ; (a + b)3 = a3 + b3 + 3ab(a + b)
y = mx + b
ax^2 + bx + c = 0
5x^6 + 3x^2 + 11 = 0
v = ∆~x
∆t = d~x
dt = ~˙x
net = m~a = d~p
dt
C = [(x1 + x2 + x3)/ 3, (y1 + y2 + y3)/ 3]
dMr = 4 π r2 ρ(r) dr

you all got it wrong. i figured it out for you. jeez. it was cakewalk