Leadfoot 37" video from a dealership

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If this is true then i assume we should see all manufacturers listing the wheel/tire sizes on their cars/suvs/trucks now?
i’m thinking you confuse the EPA with California…
kind of remind me of the stupid stop/start system, should i also thank Ford for not giving me the option to permanently disable it?
Again, this is a fact, not an “if” please do your own research. EPA not anything to do with CA. And it didn’t need to be the tire size, the vehicle itself needs to be called something different if it’s going to have different ratings. I.e., Bronco vs Bronco Sasquatch, Mustang vs Mustang GT, etc. Ford decided to call this Raptor 37 instead of adding another name.

VelociRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure about the Bronco but in the case of Mustang
Again, this is a fact, not an “if” please do your own research. EPA not anything to do with CA. And it didn’t need to be the tire size, the vehicle itself needs to be called something different if it’s going to have different ratings. I.e., Bronco vs Bronco Sasquatch, Mustang vs Mustang GT, etc. Ford decided to call this Raptor 37 instead of adding another name.
Again, this is a fact, not an “if” please do your own research. EPA not anything to do with CA. And it didn’t need to be the tire size, the vehicle itself needs to be called something different if it’s going to have different ratings. I.e., Bronco vs Bronco Sasquatch, Mustang vs Mustang GT, etc. Ford decided to call this Raptor 37 instead of adding another na
I am not sure about the Bronco case but in Mustang case it is a totally different engine and many more changes that surely are major in mpg impact and it make sense, here we talk about upgrade from 35” to 37” tires.
If i ordered a BMW X5 with 22” wheels instead of 19” wheels it will not have any designation on it.
I hear what you say about EPA but i think something else is hiding, it doesn’t make sense that only Raptor have those restrictions.

VelociRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was stated in the early interview with the Ford engineer (AMB truck with tire on a rock) that the EPA required the 37 sticker from the factory on the tailgate. Also, auto start stop is deletable from the factory on new Raptor’s. -$50.

Fishy, so for 50$ i can pollute more without anyone knowing that i deleted the stop/start (with say a sticker on the back) but i have to have a sticker saying that my truck have bigger tires and is not as efficient as a normal truck that might not have stop/start???

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fishy, so for 50$ i can pollute more without anyone knowing that i deleted the stop/start (with say a sticker on the back) but i have to have a sticker saying that my truck have bigger tires and is not as efficient as a normal truck that might not have stop/start???
So you actually save $50, not pay $50. Your point is valid though. People who have removed the start/stop option have shown their window sticker with lower MPG. Following the EPA's logic, those vehicles should have a big sticker on the side that has the start/stop button with a big X over it.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If i ordered a BMW X5 with 22” wheels instead of 19” wheels it will not have any designation on it.
I hear what you say about EPA but i think something else is hiding, it doesn’t make sense that only Raptor have those restrictions.

Because the 22” wheels in your example are wrapped with virtually the same overall size tire as the 19” wheels. The 37” tires on the Raptor’s are larger than their 35” counterparts and impact revs per mile, final drive ratio, fuel economy, and many other aspects of the trucks performance and factor into EPA fuel economy ratings..

Last edited:

VelociRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because the 22” wheels in your example are wrapped with virtually the same overall size tire as the 19” wheels. The 37” tires on the Raptor’s are larger than their 35” counterparts and impact revs per mile, final drive ratio, fuel economy, and many other aspects of the trucks performance and factor into EPA fuel economy ratings..

I would partially agree since larger wheels add weight to the car and have more wind resistance increasing the drag coefficient resulting lower mpg.
Either way it is a BS label as the difference in both cases is negligible.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you look at the many, many posts here it’s not uncommon for those who switched to 37s to lose ~2 mpg, that’s effectively a ~12% loss and not insignificant.

VelociRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look at the many, many posts here it’s not uncommon for those who switched to 37s to lose ~2 mpg, that’s effectively a ~12% loss and not insignificant.

A person paying 90k for a Raptor shouldn’t be worried about mpg and especially if they purposely put bigger tires, i upgraded mine from 33 to 35 and the diff was not even close to 2mpg.