I've got Spark Knock!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RIKU

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The spark knock is really getting to me. :mad2:

My motor mods are Volant CAI, Flowmaster 44 Catback, and now a Superchips tuner.

The spark knock hasn't changed so I'm going to switch to 91 octane fuel.

I do have a few questions for those who have knowledge on this:

1. How many tanks after I switch to 91 should i give it to tell a difference?
2. If that doesn't work is octane booster my last shot?

Im just totally perplexed on what to do about this problem. any suggestions?

The foreman at ford blames the CAI & Temp, the guys at 4Wheelparts thinks thats BS. JDM says its due to using 87 octane and if that doesn't do it the CAI needs a specific tune, superchips thinks its octane.

On a side note I was told that tuners are not really adjusted for a specific CAI and that the tuner simply notices a difference in air levels and adjusts accordingly. It has no idea if it's a CAI or a change in altitude or temp.

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You should get an obd2 tool, plug it in while driving and do a data capture. There should be data that corresponds to when the engine knocks to help track it down.

The answer to question 1 is immediately.

The car uses a mass airflow sensor. The truck should know the exact amount of air entering the motor UNLESS you have unmetered air going in AFTER the maf! A leak or loose hose.

There is something wrong with the truck. You should not need octane boost when there are other trucks running around with more mods than you on pump gas.

My guess is the superchips tune.

What happens if you go back to stock tune?

OP
OP
RIKU

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tune went on weeks after the knocking started but has increased the knocking by a little bit.

I'm on my first full 91 octane tank today.

I want to find someone with an obd2 tool in Vegas. Looking for the best and willing to pay for professional help. Any suggestions?

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The tune went on weeks after the knocking started but has increased the knocking by a little bit.

I'm on my first full 91 octane tank today.

I want to find someone with an obd2 tool in Vegas. Looking for the best and willing to pay for professional help. Any suggestions?

Go to auto zone and buy one of the orange obd2 tools that does live data capture. It will work with any obd2 car or truck so it's a good investment.

I have one and it's great.

OP
OP
RIKU

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks but wouldn't 4wheel parts have one of these on hand to check out my issue?

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks but wouldn't 4wheel parts have one of these on hand to check out my issue?

Don't know I don't shop there. Remember you need to drive around with the device connected for a while doing real time data collection.

Call up 4wheel parts and see if they will let you borrow one to do this. Then you will need someone to interpret the data.

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eh...hence the reason why i hate aftermarket tunes, especially if my truck is still under warranty. I did it to my 05, took it out quicker than when i had it installed.

My setup is almost identical to yours, minus the tune...i got no knock at all...all i run is 87 and E85, and i get great mpg's. If anything, put everything back to stock, take it to the dealer and start from scratch....oh wait, i forgot you tossed the stock air filter setup....or see how much are they and go from there. I would send you mine, but i use it anytime i bring the truck to the dealer...oil changes and such.

OP
OP
RIKU

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eh...hence the reason why i hate aftermarket tunes, especially if my truck is still under warranty. I did it to my 05, took it out quicker than when i had it installed.

My setup is almost identical to yours, minus the tune...i got no knock at all...all i run is 87 and E85, and i get great mpg's. If anything, put everything back to stock, take it to the dealer and start from scratch....oh wait, i forgot you tossed the stock air filter setup....or see how much are they and go from there. I would send you mine, but i use it anytime i bring the truck to the dealer...oil changes and such.

It's not the tune guys, The problem existed weeks before the tune went on. The tune has made it more apparent but not by much.

I'm starting to think a lifter is bust or faulty on it. There is no way its the Volant or Flowmaster 44 catback as I know others guys with this setup and no knock.

I'm returning it to standard tune, going to take it in to ford with the CAI still on it as I dont have the stock airbox.

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I have one question here that is very important and I'm surprised nobody else asked.....

When spark knocked, what did he say when you opened the door?