I've got Spark Knock!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RIKU

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments, so I guess we can now dive into the subject of what is the absolute best tune? Should I have the tune installed and adjusted in person or is mail order fine?

Right now I only feel decent about the jdm tune as they seem to be participating and doing quite a bit actively with us raptor folks .

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my CAI I bought from the same for the tune. FRPP was the best for my GT500. Couple words of caution. Use someone who either designed or is familiar with your CAI as each may or could differ as it relates to air flow, thus could effect the tune. Next, use someone who is familiar with the truck , trans, and motor. I assume you have the 5.4 as the 6.2 in my opinion is to new for me to trust a tune on. Last, keep in mind that ANY CAI could VOID your warranty should you have motor issues down the road. Don't buy the BS of "well you just remove it before taking it to the dealer" as they can tell, trust me. Any mod should be carefully considered and the benefit must out weigh the harm or chances of voiding a warranty and cause issues. As you can tell, for me, a properly installed CAI and tune is cool, but I choose FRPP as they were the only one that would not void my warranty. You have a 50k truck, just be smart about the mods!

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
RIKU just to make sure we're on the same terminology page, when you say "what is the absolute best tune" I think you're trying to ask "who is the best tuner"?

SCT is a company that makes both tuning software to run on a PC and a handheld unit used in conjunction with their tuning software to tune your truck. These tools are used by your tuner (a PC running the SCT software plugs into their handheld, and the handheld plugs into your truck). The idea here is that while your truck is subjected to specific situations (on a dyno) the PC via the handheld will read real time data and give the tuner real time feedback. He/she can then make tweaks of the parameters and retest, further tweaking as needed. Maybe an hour (or if you're really modded, it could be several hours), you've got a tune dailed in to your very specific truck. The bummer is, as you can probably tell, this is an expensive way to go; you need to hire someone's expertise, they need to have purchased (the expensive) software, you need to buy the handheld and you need to buy the dyno time. Its not unrealistic to be invested $1000 before walking away happy.

The Edge device is a handheld device used to deliver a tune, tuned by someone you'll never meet on some other truck that may or may not resemble anything like yours. But, relatively speaking, its cheap. A couple hundred bucks and you're done.

The former scenario is by far the best option; SCT makes the tool and you find someone you're comfortable with using it (a "tuner"), to develop a custom tune for your truck. There are hundreds of highly qualified tuners across the country; SCT can direct you to several folks in your area.

Applying a tune via the Edge device is ok, but by no means is it the best way to go since your specific truck (with your mods) was not in front of the tuner, when he/she was developing the tune you just applied.

So back to your JDM reference; I cannot comment on JDM as a tuner since i have no personal experience. However I have heard several good and bad things. Its worth doing a little more research I think, at the least. Having said that, lets say you decide to go with them. How will the tune be delivered? Will JDM have your truck on their dyno, developing a tune specific for your mods (aka my first scenario?) Or will they be selling you the SCT device with a premade tune on it (aka very similar to my second scenario)?

The former is a very good way to go. The latter is probably little better than the Edge device.

OP
OP
RIKU

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
go to www.sctflash.com and find a local tuner. I'm using the JDM tune until I can get to my tuner to check A/F and make corrections to the tune.

Thanks Tank, isn't the JDM tune a modified SCT flash? pardon my ignorance. If so i assume it's ok to start with the JDM tune and then take it to a local tuner?

On a side note I read offroad magazine a bit and see lots of serious off road machines with CAI, exhaust, and no tune whatsoever, what gives with that?

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not to answer for tank, but to the best of my knowledge SCT doesn't offer a "flash". They provide the tools for others to develop a flash. JDM is one of those others.

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not to answer for tank, but to the best of my knowledge SCT doesn't offer a "flash". They provide the tools for others to develop a flash. JDM is one of those others.

SCT does sell there own flash tunes like other places but it is very conversetive. Also something to consider SCT is based in South FL you live in Vegas the air quality is night and day different and can effect the tune.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Copy that Tank. Thanks for the clarification. And great point regarding the air quality/temp/density. That can (and does!) make a huge difference.

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your manual under replacing your battery...

I had to perform that procedure when i did my home fabricated CAI....as when i would start my truck in the AM, had an erratic startup...and in the manual, it specifically states the truck will encompass these problems till the computer relearns your setup...

After i ran through those procedures, took it out on a nice long drive...zero issues since then and my MPG's increased.

I would at the very least try this first before you spend 500 dollars on a tune JMHO.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great point Jesse! My truck ran crappy when brand new... especially the idle. I performed the "reset" outlined in the manual and it seemed to make a difference.

(page 372 of the 2010 manual)