I've got Spark Knock!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard a slight rattle type sound when i tap the gas quickly and especially when coasting.

I double checked my Volant to make sure it was tight.

Then had the muffler shop check the exhaust twice as I thought a pipe could be hitting the bed frame causing the sound.

Then I took it to Team Ford and took the foreman who works on quite a few raptors on a test drive. In less than a minute he said no doubt its Spark Knock.

He asked if i hear this in the early AM, i honestly don't. I don't hear it at night either. He was saying that its very common and little to nothing can be done to fix it. In vegas when it gets 110+ many vehicles have it I was told.

He also implied it may be the Volant that is causing it.

Anyone else experience Spark Knock in hot weather. It's tiny and difficult to hear especially with my 44 flowmaster but it still bugs me.

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I get this every now and then with my Tahoe and everything is in working order. I haven't had it happen in the Raptor (6.2) yet but I run super unleaded.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bummer. I've never even heard a hint of the same thing and out where I work I've seen 118 on the outside temp gauge.

From what I believe FSM06 said here someplace, it could be that the stock tune does not have enough "fine tune" to adjust the mixture properly with an aftermarket "cold air" intake. That could definitely be part of the problem.

(the computer has a baseline air/fuel mixture setting but, depending on sensor readings, it can richen or lean the air/fuel mixture a small amount... the Volant might need more or less fuel than this fine tune is capable of compensating for.)

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bummer. I've never even heard a hint of the same thing and out where I work I've seen 118 on the outside temp gauge.

From what I believe FSM06 said here someplace, it could be that the stock tune does not have enough "fine tune" to adjust the mixture properly with an aftermarket "cold air" intake. That could definitely be part of the problem.

(the computer has a baseline air/fuel mixture setting but, depending on sensor readings, it can richen or lean the air/fuel mixture a small amount... the Volant might need more or less fuel than this fine tune is capable of compensating for.)

Now that you mention it Mark, I do remember someone mentioning how you needed to do a tune if you installed a CAI.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
X2 what Mark said. RIKU, pull the Volant and make no other changes. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the pinging goes away.

PS: if you're pinging, your knock sensors are picking it up, and your ECU is retarding your timing in efforts to cure the ping. If you're worried about giving up the potential performance benefits of the Volant, don't be... You're giving up far more performance via the knock retard (since the knock sensors are in play, thanks to the Volant where without the Volant the knock sensors probably wouldn't be in play... Hopefully that makes sense)

OP
OP
RIKU

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I made the mistake of tossing the old air filter box. So I either get a new one and sell the volant or is another viable option to get a tune?

In regards to using 91 or 92, I was told not to do this by the foreman because that alone could give you some knocking with the Raptor.... weird

Anyway it's really hard to notice i have to tap the peddle quite a bit in very hot weather to get it to duplicate. Not willing to lose the volant for something so small.

Lot's of F150 guys are telling me to get the EDGE tune over the SCT JDM tune. Wondering if anyone can shed some light on how the two are different in make up.

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I made the mistake of tossing the old air filter box. So I either get a new one and sell the volant or is another viable option to get a tune?

In regards to using 91 or 92, I was told not to do this by the foreman because that alone could give you some knocking with the Raptor.... weird

Anyway it's really hard to notice i have to tap the peddle quite a bit in very hot weather to get it to duplicate. Not willing to lose the volant for something so small.

Lot's of F150 guys are telling me to get the EDGE tune over the SCT JDM tune. Wondering if anyone can shed some light on how the two are different in make up.
If you plan doing more things to your truck other then a CAI and catback you need the SCT. Edge doesn't do custom tuning.

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100% fact.... CAI must require a tune as you are messing with air ratio. I mean you can add CAI and do nothing, but the added option will more than likely produce negative rather than positive effects. A good CAI and well written tune can provide HP gains and other goodies, but done partially will net worse performance for the most part. Good luck.....