Is idling bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KODIAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what’s contributing to the smoking? Bearing seals on the turbos? I can’t imagine it’s the motor itself in this day and age. I would have imagined Ford endurance testing accounted for this?

I remember the days when you shouldn’t let some particular small blocks idle long as the cam lobes weren’t pressure oiled, or some motor’s will burn up the valve seals and even lower tension rings would let a lot of blow by through.

Allegedly it’s leaky valve covers covered by the TSB. After they swapped mine on my 2018 they basically said just watch the oil level.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Allegedly it’s leaky valve covers covered by the TSB. After they swapped mine on my 2018 they basically said just watch the oil level.
They don’t leak; the issue was with the integral PCV system allowing oil to enter the intake system, which resulted in smoke after an extended idle. The TSB has the dealer replace the valve covers with the updated ones.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They don’t leak; the issue was with the integral PCV system allowing oil to enter the intake system, which resulted in smoke after an extended idle. The TSB has the dealer replace the valve covers with the updated ones.
Yeah this sounds like old news at this point. This was a while back. So the smoking problem should not be at this point.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah this sounds like old news at this point. This was a while back. So the smoking problem should not be at this point.
It wasn’t a recall, it was a TSB. So only people that noticed excessive oil consumption or idled for long periods would have had the updated parts installed.

Grizzly

Reaction score
You'll be fine. I live in AZ and in my previous job I had two EcoBoost F-150s that I put about 120k miles on each with no issues. Wasn't at all uncommon in the middle of the summer for me to turn it on at 4AM and not turn it of till 6-7PM other than once or twice to fill us for gas.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Which TSB covers this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tday1103