How touchy is Ford warranty and oil type?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Standard Mobil 1 is no longer a synthetic PAO oil, and hasn't been for a long time.

Syntec ruined it for everyone.

You have to buy their more expensive version of Mobil 1 to get the good oil now.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Standard Mobil 1 is no longer a synthetic PAO oil, and hasn't been for a long time.

Syntec ruined it for everyone.

You have to buy their more expensive version of Mobil 1 to get the good oil now.
The oil I use is Edge, why did syntec ruin it for everyone?

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would 'Like' to use Shell Rotella T6 15w-40 in, well everything! I want it in my Raptor and in my Explorer ST. I feel the higher zinc content and higher viscosity will improve engine life. Ford has lowered the viscosity specification in order to improve milage ....a tad! At the cost of longevity.

When I took my Raptor into the dealership a couple months ago and asked to have the T6 I purchased put in. They asked why and I told them. They put the oil in. This last week, I took the Explorer in and the tech called and said it would void my warranty. (I think that's what he said, it may have been along the lines of "that is the wrong oil for this vehicle, what you brought is for diesel engines, you should put in the correct oil") so I said ok, put in Motocraft oil.

Do any of the Ford pundits on here know if using this oil would indeed invalidate my warranty? I tried "chatting" with Ford support and she simply said tt your dealer, we don't know tech stuff.
15w is to thick for winter use, 5w40 T6 is what you want.
Diesel oil has higher zinc content as you said.

But so does any 40 weight oil.
The EPA controls what amounts of additives are allowed in oil.

Any 30 weight (5w30, 10w30, 5w20, 0w20) or lower is allowed around 800ppm zinc

Any oil 40 weight up (5w40, 15w40, 5w50) is allowed about 1200ppm.

Learn what the numbers mean, 15w will be to thick in temps below 40 degrees.

I have run 5w40 T6 in my wife's SHO for 10 years, last year had it apart to do the water pump and is was amazingly clean inside compared to what I see daily on vehicles running 20 weight oils. They just oxidize/vaporizer much easier.
Wife's car has had 0 issues other than water pump (which is unavoidable), Audio control module (electronics die when they want) and rear windows sunshade motor (that was a bitch to change).