Houston.... we have a problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been stage 2 custom goose tuned since around 7k. I plan on doing full race power max turbos and finishing off exhaust now that I don’t have a truck payment.
Good choice!! I have been on Powermax stage 2 and all the extra mods for the @GooseTuned E85 for awhile and it has been a blast!!!

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I see a ford cam phaser kit HL2Z6C590A for 454.30 at Lakeland ford. Is this correct updated phasers?

There is no kit from Ford, some online retailers may sell it that way though.

part number HL2Z6C590A is a Cam Phaser INSTALLATION kit. it contains:

Cam phaser bolts (torque to yield one time use)
crank seal
oil filter
water pump gasket
water pump bypass tube seal
intake manifold gaskets
crankshaft bolt
2 "cam timing assembly engine variable" (assume this is Phasers, but the basic part # listed is not the same as a phaser alone)
2 "cam timing assembly engine variable" (assume this is Phasers, but the basic part # listed is not the same as a phaser alone, assume it is 2 intake and 2 exhaust phasers)
cam cover gasket
cam cover gasket
cam cover seal
thermostat seal
high pressure fuel pump seal
and 4 6 mm bolts, 1 20 mm long and 3 35 mm long

it does not have timing chains, guides or tensioners which my shop almost always replace. Also this kit has not been out very long and the two dealers I get parts from where not aware of it as of 6 weeks or so ago when I found it looking up parts. We do about 2 phaser jobs a month, the kit was not in the parts catalog 8-12 weeks ago.

Since neither dealer knows exactly what is in the kit,(phasers and if they are the latest design) I am still ordering parts individually.

OH and lastly, lakeland Ford selling that kit for $454.30 is seriously nuts. That is below my cost, I would think bordering on their cost. I would be impressed if they are making more than 5% at that price. MSRP is $641.67

PSSSS, one dealer I get parts from still has 14 of the OLD cam phaser part # in stock (i refuse to buy them) so they are out there, and are 1/2 the price of the latest design (the old part number is still in the parts catalog). This and the price of the kit make me wonder if it has the older phaser design in the kit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
part number HL2Z6C590A is a Cam Phaser INSTALLATION kit. it contains:

Cam phaser bolts (torque to yield one time use)
crank seal
oil filter
water pump gasket
water pump bypass tube seal
intake manifold gaskets
crankshaft bolt
2 "cam timing assembly engine variable" (assume this is Phasers, but the basic part # listed is not the same as a phaser alone)
2 "cam timing assembly engine variable" (assume this is Phasers, but the basic part # listed is not the same as a phaser alone, assume it is 2 intake and 2 exhaust phasers)
cam cover gasket
cam cover gasket
cam cover seal
thermostat seal
high pressure fuel pump seal
and 4 6 mm bolts, 1 20 mm long and 3 35 mm long

it does not have timing chains, guides or tensioners which my shop almost always replace. Also this kit has not been out very long and the two dealers I get parts from where not aware of it as of 6 weeks or so ago when I found it looking up parts. We do about 2 phaser jobs a month, the kit was not in the parts catalog 8-12 weeks ago.

Since neither dealer knows exactly what is in the kit,(phasers and if they are the latest design) I am still ordering parts individually.

OH and lastly, lakeland Ford selling that kit for $454.30 is seriously nuts. That is below my cost, I would think bordering on their cost. I would be impressed if they are making more than 5% at that price. MSRP is $641.67

PSSSS, one dealer I get parts from still has 14 of the OLD cam phaser part # in stock (i refuse to buy them) so they are out there, and are 1/2 the price of the latest design (the old part number is still in the parts catalog). This and the price of the kit make me wonder if it has the older phaser design in the kit.
What is the latest cam phaser parts numbers to make sure I got the latest.
Thanks for yalls help!

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ML3Z-6C525-A AND ML3Z-6256-A are the newest and retail for $170 and $88.33 respectively.

HL3Z-6C525-CD AND HL3Z-6256-CD are the previous numbers. And are $56.50 each. I believe the warehouses are out of these now. But still a bunch around in dealer inventory. Again one of my dealers has 14 left of these. Other dealer doesn't have any left.

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ML3Z-6C525-A AND ML3Z-6256-A are the newest and retail for $170 and $88.33 respectively.

HL3Z-6C525-CD AND HL3Z-6256-CD are the previous numbers. And are $56.50 each. I believe the warehouses are out of these now. But still a bunch around in dealer inventory. Again one of my dealers has 14 left of these. Other dealer doesn't have any left.
Perfect!! Those are the parts numbers on my quote. Thank you!!

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Good find on the kit.

HL3Z-CD is the correct part number for 2017-2020 per Ford eCat; it’s the revised design that went into production post-TSB in 11/30/19.

ML3Z-A is the 2021 part number that is backward compatible with the 2017-2020 engines.

I suspect one HL3Z-CD inventory is completely exhausted they’ll just update the catalog with a supersession to the ML3Z parts. No sense in paying two suppliers to make both.

Baja Mode

Reaction score
Good find on the kit.

HL3Z-CD is the correct part number for 2017-2020 per Ford eCat; it’s the revised design that went into production post-TSB in 11/30/19.

ML3Z-A is the 2021 part number that is backward compatible with the 2017-2020 engines.

I suspect one HL3Z-CD inventory is completely exhausted they’ll just update the catalog with a supersession to the ML3Z parts. No sense in paying two suppliers to make both.

The dealer just did the phasers on my truck and used one HL3Z and one ML3Z, so I suspect you’re right that they’re still using up old stock.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good find on the kit.

Fair enough.

I don't have access to Ford eCat. I have access to a program/website called repairlink. It is an OEM catalog for all makes. It then automatically links to my local dealer(s).
Looking up phasers for a 2019 It brings up both part numbers, when I have called the dealer to clarify, both tell me the ML3Z is the latest so that is what I always use.