Planning trip to Alaska and have a question about comms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
khildebr

khildebr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see OP is from Pleasant Valley. Is that in California? How many miles round trip to you plan on
Not California but in the Kansas City, MO area. Haven’t come up with the exact figure for mileage but know that our trip into Canada in the Alberta Province put a little over 5,000 miles on the Raptor. This trip should more than double that. Guess I need to plan on an oil change or two in the itinerary. :D

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy and frf rolodex
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not California but in the Kansas City, MO area. Haven’t come up with the exact figure for mileage but know that our trip into Canada in the Alberta Province put a little over 5,000 miles on the Raptor. This trip should more than double that. Guess I need to plan on an oil change or two in the itinerary. :D
when i lived in clark wyoming, it was 2600 miles one way to delta junction. milepost 426 (i think) has a hotspring. tourist attraction, but nice to visit. not sure if the license plate wall is still up at milepost 0, but cool to look at too. and of course the edmonton mall. go on a roller coaster ride while the wife shops.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ah a buddy of mine lives in KC. Great zoo there.

Diverdown3

Reaction score
Everyone told us bear spray was useless, just makes a bear madder.
But we did have 2 pistols and one rifle with us.
But keep in mind you cannot drive through Canada with them.
Good reminder. I would either you you borrowed your weapons from a friend in Alaska, or surprisingly found them inside your Raptor after arriving in AK.

Pikser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good reminder. I would either you you borrowed your weapons from a friend in Alaska, or surprisingly found them inside your Raptor after arriving in AK.
We shipped ours to a dealer in Alaska from a dealer in Utah and then sent back to same when we were leaving.

Chzhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wife and I were up there last year. FANTASIC trip. Flew in and rented a car to drive around. Also rented a Jeep for the Dalton Hwy. Didn't go all the way up to Prudhoe Bay, just made it to the Arctic Circle. Gas availability was not an issue but it was $7.50/gal. Be aware that if you drive the Dalton, be prepared for stone chips/cracked windshields. Thankfully I spent the $15 insurance on the rental for the cracked windshield, got a nice chip (4" crack) from the 2nd semi that passed us. Speed limit is 55 but semi's are going much faster and go balls out.

OP
OP
khildebr

khildebr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wife and I were up there last year. FANTASIC trip. Flew in and rented a car to drive around. Also rented a Jeep for the Dalton Hwy. Didn't go all the way up to Prudhoe Bay, just made it to the Arctic Circle. Gas availability was not an issue but it was $7.50/gal. Be aware that if you drive the Dalton, be prepared for stone chips/cracked windshields. Thankfully I spent the $15 insurance on the rental for the cracked windshield, got a nice chip (4" crack) from the 2nd semi that passed us. Speed limit is 55 but semi's are going much faster and go balls out.
Good to know about gas availability. I don’t mind carrying 5 gallons but 25 gallons didn’t thrill me. As for the Jeep windshield, don’t they all come from the factory with a crack?