Houston.... we have a problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update....
GAS has done a few diagnostics on the truck. Pulled all 6 plugs and most were fouled which was expected. Borescope down all 6 cylinders showed no scaring on cylinder walls and all pistons look good. Compression test on all 6 cylinders and all showed to be good. Tested all 6 of the port injectors which are ID1050s and they were good. Tested all 6 of the DI injectors which are stock and they are good. So as of right now the motor is good, which is great news.
The tech said the cam phasers and timing components are no good. Said the timing was off.

So waiting on an estimate to repair those. Hopefully that's all it is.
Any thoughts?

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update....
GAS has done a few diagnostics on the truck. Pulled all 6 plugs and most were fouled which was expected. Borescope down all 6 cylinders showed no scaring on cylinder walls and all pistons look good. Compression test on all 6 cylinders and all showed to be good. Tested all 6 of the port injectors which are ID1050s and they were good. Tested all 6 of the DI injectors which are stock and they are good. So as of right now the motor is good, which is great news.
The tech said the cam phasers and timing components are no good. Said the timing was off.

Any thoughts?
Id say its good news ! Basically means the motor doesn't have to come out . A new timing job will get you another 100k easily and if you want to sell it will boost value as the Achilles heel of the 3.5 has been addressed. Make sure all parts are the most recent fail proof iteration . Whatever you pay for the repair will probably be able to recoup when you sell.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ill add also a testament to the design and Goosetuned as you are all boosted out, tuned and running 85 and everything is in great shape internally.

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ill add also a testament to the design and Goosetuned as you are all boosted out, tuned and running 85 and everything is in great shape internally.
For sure! @GooseTuned Has been awesome!! Still don't know why anyone would go to anyone else for a tune.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update....

Any thoughts?
It's as I thought... As I mentioned I let my bad phasers go on WAY too long and driveability suffered and the noise was awful. Seems like yours got so ***** that the timing went t!its up. Pretty sure once you have new phasers, guides and chain you will be good to go. Have them check the solenoids too, I'm sure they will but just make sure.

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's as I thought... As I mentioned I let my bad phasers go on WAY too long and driveability suffered and the noise was awful. Seems like yours got so ***** that the timing went t!its up. Pretty sure once you have new phasers, guides and chain you will be good to go. Have them check the solenoids too, I'm sure they will but just make sure.
I hope so too!!
I will have them check them as well.
You could be worth just going ahead and swapping them while they are in there?