Houston.... we have a problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
more than likely cam phaser issues.. hopefully its not a new engine deal..
I'm hoping it's just cam phasers too. The rattle over the last 5k miles got pretty bad. It mostly sounded like it was all on the passenger side too. That's the side that I had the camshaft position sensor say it was bad and the side that has the O2 sensor stuck rich. So I'm hoping the dig in and it turns out to be just bad cam phaser or a chain Mayne. Fingers crossed

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cam phasers rattle at start up after sitting 6 plus hours. This is because below 1200rpm the lock pin is supposed to engage and lock the 2 pieces of the cam phaser together making it one piece.

Over time the cam phaser will drain of its oil.

At shut off the phaser is supposed to lock and at start up is supposed to be locked,.while the phaser fills with oil.

The oil draining is normal. The rattle noise is the 2 parts of the phaser hitting each other while the phaser fills with oil, because the lock pin has failed to lock the two parts together . This noise will last about 6 seconds.

Sorry OP but I am fairly curtain you have much bigger issues.

It is possible the VVT solenoid(s) that control the phaser(s) are stuck causing one or more phasers to either go to max cam retard or advance. This might account for the excess fuel, but having seen that problem about 50 times on various vehicles I have never heard that problem cause engine noise, as the phaser is designed to go that far retard or advance.

Again, I thing something real serious is going on and I am extremely curious.

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam phasers rattle at start up after sitting 6 plus hours. This is because below 1200rpm the lock pin is supposed to engage and lock the 2 pieces of the cam phaser together making it one piece.

Over time the cam phaser will drain of its oil.

At shut off the phaser is supposed to lock and at start up is supposed to be locked,.while the phaser fills with oil.

The oil draining is normal. The rattle noise is the 2 parts of the phaser hitting each other while the phaser fills with oil, because the lock pin has failed to lock the two parts together . This noise will last about 6 seconds.

Sorry OP but I am fairly curtain you have much bigger issues.

It is possible the VVT solenoid(s) that control the phaser(s) are stuck causing one or more phasers to either go to max cam retard or advance. This might account for the excess fuel, but having seen that problem about 50 times on various vehicles I have never heard that problem cause engine noise, as the phaser is designed to go that far retard or advance.

Again, I thing something real serious is going on and I am extremely curious.
I'm glad others are more knowledgeable at that stuff cause I'm not. Thank for helping getting me learned up. I'm really hoping it's not something worse and trying to be positive. It's possible it could be. That's only a fully built motor by RMB and cost a pretty coin already.
Is it possible the VVT solenoid is stuck and also cam phaser issues that's compounding the issue? Again im grabbing

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm glad others are more knowledgeable at that stuff cause I'm not. Thank for helping getting me learned up. I'm really hoping it's not something worse and trying to be positive. It's possible it could be. That's only a fully built motor by RMB and cost a pretty coin already.
Is it possible the VVT solenoid is stuck and also cam phaser issues that's compounding the issue? Again im grabbing
Wishing you the best out come!!!!

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, my phasers started making noise at around 11k miles - I left them alone for almost 5 years because I was scared the dealer would botch the job. Long story short, by the time I was at 44k miles, the motor sounded awful, even at idle and all the time. Sounded like something was broken in the motor. Turns out, if the phasers get bad enough, like mine did, they sound bad all the time. Hopefully, that is all yours is too.

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, my phasers started making noise at around 11k miles - I left them alone for almost 5 years because I was scared the dealer would botch the job. Long story short, by the time I was at 44k miles, the motor sounded awful, even at idle and all the time. Sounded like something was broken in the motor. Turns out, if the phasers get bad enough, like mine did, they sound bad all the time. Hopefully, that is all yours is too.
Mine sounded pretty bad. Was actually embarrassed idling around people. Ha.
It still ran great but never really got above 3-4k rpms until the time I did and it started running really rough. I was even getting around 14.5mpg at 70. Which is good for me. Ha
Man I hope it's just the cam phasers or something related and not anything motor related. Everything has always sounded like it was the passenger side cam phasers and then when it acted up it was passenger side camshaft sensor and O2 sensor.
And it didn't throw the camshaft sensor code until it messed up. So...... fingers crossed still

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine sounded pretty bad. Was actually embarrassed idling around people. Ha.
It still ran great but never really got above 3-4k rpms until the time I did and it started running really rough. I was even getting around 14.5mpg at 70. Which is good for me. Ha
Man I hope it's just the cam phasers or something related and not anything motor related. Everything has always sounded like it was the passenger side cam phasers and then when it acted up it was passenger side camshaft sensor and O2 sensor.
And it didn't throw the camshaft sensor code until it messed up. So...... fingers crossed still
My noise was more on pass side as well, FYI. It actually sounded like a bent rod or something at idle, it sounded really bad. Once the phasers were replaced it purrs like a kitten again.

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My noise was more on pass side as well, FYI. It actually sounded like a bent rod or something at idle, it sounded really bad. Once the phasers were replaced it purrs like a kitten again.
That's what mine sounded like too. That makes me feel a bit more positive. Thanks!!!