Houston.... we have a problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lane2018

Southern Raptor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious… I understand the cam phaser noise will get progressively worse as time goes by. But most of what I’ve read says it is only an annoying “noise”problem. So, I’m hearing it can actually cause engine damage/failure if left unattended long enough?

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious… I understand the cam phaser noise will get progressively worse as time goes by. But most of what I’ve read says it is only an annoying “noise”problem. So, I’m hearing it can actually cause engine damage/failure if left unattended long enough?
I'm not sure. The is really my first time to deal or even look into it. Didn't want to look at it and jinxs myself. Ha.
I may have had a little rattle for a long time but just got use to it and thought it was normal. But mine got really bad on start up to the point where I was embarrassed to start my truck around people. That was only for the last 5-6k miles. The truck still ran good and even was getting some of my best MPG on the highway. It was all just noise until it wasn't. Can I say that muly engine problems was completely the fault of bad cam phasers, not 100% sure but it's looking like it.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If left for long enough, they will get to the point where they sound like your engine has a rod knock at idle, and they will eventually fall apart. It takes some time to get to that point, and one they start knocking at idle you'll also get timing codes. But really, if you have noisy phasers, bite the bullet and get it fixed. A good indie shop will do it for <$3500, and thats not really that expensive as far as major repairs go. And certainly much cheaper than an engine.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I see a ford cam phaser kit HL2Z6C590A for 454.30 at Lakeland ford. Is this correct updated phasers?

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I have 82k on my 18 and have a little rattle on cold start. I’ve changed my oil around 3k since new

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have 82k on my 18 and have a little rattle on cold start. I’ve changed my oil around 3k since new
That's the way mine was. I had about 80k on the new motor and that's when my cold start rattle begin. Then around 100k it went to rattle on every start and at idle. Was embarrassing just to idle around people. I also changed oil from 3-5k

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve been stage 2 custom goose tuned since around 7k. I plan on doing full race power max turbos and finishing off exhaust now that I don’t have a truck payment.