Horsepower, Torque, and MPG Confirmed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bombsquad68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on displacement, I think the power numbers are extremely impressive when compared to other FI performance sedans and SUVs that are either V6 or V8. MPG gains, to me, are a bit disappointing. Not sure 18 highway is enough to make it worthwhile to abandon the 8. Could Ford have gotten 500+ power numbers and 20 highway with better gearing and cylinder deactivation with a 5.0 TTV8? If they could have, and even if I had to cut a flinstones trap door in it just to get 10 city, I would have taken that in a second and paid more.

What may make the the new MPG numbers even worse is that I assume city, which had the significant gains, was with engine start-stop active. I could easily see driving with this off.

To qualify and not to start a Gen 1 war, I would chose the TTV6 over the Gen 1 8. The numbers are better and I like FI. I do think though that Ford could have built an 8 with power numbers that exceeded the TTV6 and MPG very near the TTV6's rating.
Sure they could have but cylinder deactivation on a overhead cam twin turbo V8 would have added significant cost and complexity. Then you need the rest of the truck to handle the extra power and cooling requirements. Check out the 2017 Porsche Panamera Turbo at $150k base for that powertrain, because this isn't a OHV engine like the GM and Rams with cylinder shutdown.

At the end of the day, highway mileage is suffering because of poor aero and high rolling resistance, not because they shit the bed on designing the engine. All you have to do is look at the 22 MPG or whatever it was highway number for the standard F 150 with the new EB. That's what small tires, 6" narrower, lower to the ground with an big ass air dam will get you.

People in here complaining about the mileage need to look at a diesel if they want 22 MPG in a 35“ tired, widebody/wide track, lifted truck. I'll take 18 highway and get the lightweight, snappy powertrain that works in an offroad truck with 510 tq. This thing is going to be a beast without the extra cylinders.

Grizlbits

Reaction score
My 2014 F250 crew cab long box diesel only gets 16-17 mpg on highway (at 78 mph). 9-10 towing a car hauler at 78 mph. The diesel is not the answer for mileage either with the regen cycles it does. Every 350 miles it blows 2 gallons of fuel out the exhaust during the regen cycle. This new Raptor will be an interesting comparison versus my diesel.

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Captain Obivious you wouldn't happen to be a Gen 1 owner who knows the Gen 2 is a way better truck, would you?

Hahahaha. Such a cool guy. I owned a Gen 1 but sold it about a year ago. I drive a 485HP Charger now. You're reaching with the "way better truck" comment BTW. Nobody even knows if it's a way better truck or not as NOBODY owns one yet.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hahahaha. Such a cool guy. I owned a Gen 1 but sold it about a year ago. I drive a 485HP Charger now. You're reaching with the "way better truck" comment BTW. Nobody even knows if it's a way better truck or not as NOBODY owns one yet.

the marketing hype has made many believers..

SJRaptorG2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yeah, we can only go by what Ford is officially putting out, along with them using this info to sell 2017s. The following is a list off the top of my head and quotes from Ford, from their Ford website.

Better suspension travel
Better clearance
Better shocks
Better horse power
Better torque (and at usable rpms)
Better weight
Better tires
Better skid plates
Better lighter rust free body
Better brakes
Better dual exhaust
Better approach and departure angles
Better mileage range on full tank
Better Raptor specific frame
Better technology

(feel free to add or subtract)

“From headlamp to tailgate. From suspension to drivetrain. See how the unique features of the 2017 Raptor work in perfect unison… to take off-road performance to an intimidating new level.”

“The all-new Raptor is even more of a beast off-road. It features better running clearance than the first-generation Raptor. And that’s not all.”

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, we can only go by what Ford is officially putting out, along with them using this info to sell 2017s. The following is a list off the top of my head and quotes from Ford, from their Ford website.

Better suspension travel
Better clearance
Better shocks
Better horse power
Better torque (and at usable rpms)
Better weight
Better tires
Better skid plates
Better lighter rust free body
Better brakes
Better dual exhaust
Better approach and departure angles
Better mileage range on full tank
Better Raptor specific frame
Better technology

(feel free to add or subtract)

“From headlamp to tailgate. From suspension to drivetrain. See how the unique features of the 2017 Raptor work in perfect unison… to take off-road performance to an intimidating new level.”

“The all-new Raptor is even more of a beast off-road. It features better running clearance than the first-generation Raptor. And that’s not all.”

And? Have you never seen a new generation of vehicle that wasn't liked as much as the previous generation? You must read a lot of brochures. And just because someone tells you something is going to be awesome you don't go out and research what others are saying and wait for the truck to actually get in the hands of someone with an opinion that matters to you?

Last edited: