Headed to Baja with EXO in my 22 (35” tires) which suspension MODS are needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

catinthehat85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been on 3 and going on 4th this feb..

Yes, they have all the tools/jacks, but you are to have your own.. if you cannot change a tire, well, have your girlfriend do it! :evillol:

They'll ask you if you're good or if you need help. And sometimes another participant will stop and help.. but you should bring your own stuff always. if you don't have two spares, then you'll just end up on the pavement after your first flat LOL.. not as fun.
They are pros and have been doing this for like 12+ years.

oh.. and stockers, that's what our trucks are made to do.. sure you won't go 75 over those whoops.. but you can still keep up on the rest of it for sure. Last time i went, I had a completely stock 22 37" pkg and I was 'keeping up' with the modded crowd and even got a few 'atta boys' saying they like following me cause I was ..and quote.. ' Haulin ' ..... i said, yea.. thanks.. it's the truck. makes me look like a semi pro! these trucks are quite impressive in there stock form and this trip will definitely show you that. You will be smiling the ENTIRE time.. and have hard time going to sleep thinking about what you just did.. 80 on a beach.. 75+ plus through the washy stuff, sooo soft and floaty.. mmmm can't wait till feb..
That sounds awesome! I just completed a full mid travel build on my gen 3 and considering an EXO trip. I’m pretty happy with the trails we got local here in socal, still on the fence if a trip down south is worth the extra expense. They definitely sound well organized and got you covered if anything happens.

Peterb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds awesome! I just completed a full mid travel build on my gen 3 and considering an EXO trip. I’m pretty happy with the trails we got local here in socal, still on the fence if a trip down south is worth the extra expense. They definitely sound well organized and got you covered if anything happens.
baja has constantly changing terrain and scenery plus the pacific or the sea of cortez are daily features, you have to do it once

catinthehat85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
baja has constantly changing terrain and scenery plus the pacific or the sea of cortez are daily features, you have to do it once
I hear you, the videos look incredible. Do they take you down zoo road? I’ve always been curious how my setup would do on that stretch.

Peterb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
exo is very professional, nice hotels and meals, you can drive fast or slow, exo has an entertainment guy… his only job is to feed you tequila and beer…. after the day’s driving. zoo road? not familiar… by the way the lead driver is in a gen3 stock rear coils with minor mods, shocks, bumpers, 37s… he is friggin fast, the pre runner guys were not faster and couldn’t figure it out

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
exo is very professional, nice hotels and meals, you can drive fast or slow, exo has an entertainment guy… his only job is to feed you tequila and beer…. after the day’s driving. zoo road? not familiar… by the way the lead driver is in a gen3 stock rear coils with minor mods, shocks, bumpers, 37s… he is friggin fast, the pre runner guys were not faster and couldn’t figure it out
Yes they area all pros for sure.. they even stress, only go as fast as you are comfortable with.. hotel is not going anywhere.. and there's plenty of tequila/beers waiting lol.. One of the guys is involved with SVC and knows these trucks like the back of pants at this point..

lead driver is in a gen3 stock rear coils with minor mods

are you talking about Gordon? Orange Gen3? they're not 'minor' mods.. not last time I saw him.. his is pretty preettty gooood. Even Jerimiah's Gen 3 has got some improvements.. maybe his your referring to?

but all in all.. I've seen lots of 'stockers' on his trips and we all do fine.. newer ones do better with the live shocks vs non live.. unless you start going the RPG ext reservoirs, then it's a different game.

bottom line? I went on two overlanding trips, overall less speed for the day (the moods are set, there's still plenty of places to open up.. like on the beach..my 14 son at the time drove over 60 on the beach and we'll never forget that for sure..) and more camping exploring kind of pace. with in that trip, I was told i should go on the bigger and more 'intense'
runs... I said, nah.. I wouldn't keep up! You all be at dinner and I'd be pulling into hotel at dessert time.. they laughed, and said... noooo.. plenty of stock raptors go with us.. all the time.. and do just fine and can get through the same route in the same times.. give or take a few prerunners..LOL.. but seriously.. signed up for the next one once i got my gen 3, and this is what it comes down to.. as they say in the driver's brief when you first meet up... ' go as fast as your are comfortable going and can see '

That's it.. it's up to you (and your truck's computers if you dare leave those on)

where's zoo road? don't know if we've been on or not..

Rick at FMS

aka:Rick @ FreedomMotorsports
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Been on an EXO run. Stock truck would be fine then you can determine after the trip what you want to upgrade. I would get a 3rd brake light upgrade so the person behind you can see you in the dust. You NEED to have a GPS unit (EXO likes Lowrance) and a 50watt UHF radio.