Guys with icons ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
glad you're happy and thanks' for the feedback. It would be cool to put a bottle of water in the cup holder with a gopro on it. If anyone else does this.

OP
OP
ntm

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glad you're happy and thanks' for the feedback. It would be cool to put a bottle of water in the cup holder with a gopro on it. If anyone else does this.

It'd look the same more or less.
Because you can't tell what's going on outside the vehicle.
I started shooting video, but it really doesn't convey what you're actually feeling.
For slow speed across washboard stuff it would have been dramatic, but there is so much more going on with the chassis handling wise that it would be unfair and biased to show one speed in one type of terrain and have people make decisions based on that.
You'll just have to take my word for my prior statements, I wouldn't lie to you Wilson :smile:

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
lol not implying that. I'll go back to my previous statement ride and drive the difference setups if you can or just take ntm word for it! I would agree you have to see it in person to get any idea of what it's doing. I have seen the fox 3.0 in action and compared to stock no comparison.

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it, but why are you sticking with the ICON rear shocks? Is it because you already had them and felt they were up to the job and no need to change or was there another reason you kept them?

Sorry for the question if you already answered it...I'm just curious.

OP
OP
ntm

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it, but why are you sticking with the ICON rear shocks? Is it because you already had them and felt they were up to the job and no need to change or was there another reason you kept them?

Sorry for the question if you already answered it...I'm just curious.

The shin guards, the adjustment knobs, and the silent valve seats.
Mainly the shin guards though, that's a huge feature to me since I'm offroad all day, every day.
And I don't feel that the rear end is lacking at all, they are working very well indeed.

Off Road WannaBe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome review comparing both shocks. I didn't get to really take a run on the weekend like I had planned to compare the stockers more with what you've been saying on the icons. I did managed to go down one dirt road for 10mins. Iv got a couple questions on what I noticed.

I know it was asked but what tires and psi are you running? I'm still running the bfg's in my other post talking about on road manners I said I was running 45psi before I blasted down the dirt road I dropped to 35psi the same psi I was running with stock shocks and on. On the little stuff it made a big difference soaking up the slow little stuff with more side wall flex. You can still feel the stiffness but its not truck jarring anymore.

On the springs you mentioned you were pretty sure spring rate is was your biggest issue for the slow speed stuff, the dirt road I was on had sections of pots holes now going through those at a good clip with the stockers the truck wouldn't roll as much side to side but you could feel they couldn't keep up and have a wheel off the ground here and there. With the icons the truck would roll more going in and outta the holes so the ride was ruffer but the wheels were always on the ground for me. So the question and this one is for dylan too if a softer spring was made and put on with the valving untouched do you think that would be enough remove the stiffness while keeping the wheels grounded. Or would you run into rebound and bottoming out problems not have to fight the bigger spring?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ntm

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome review comparing both shocks. I didn't get to really take a run on the weekend like I had planned to compare the stockers more with what you've been saying on the icons. I did managed to go down one dirt road for 10mins. Iv got a couple questions on what I noticed.

I know it was asked but what tires and psi are you running? I'm still running the bfg's in my other post talking about on road manners I said I was running 45psi before I blasted down the dirt road I dropped to 35psi the same psi I was running with stock shocks and on. On the little stuff it made a big difference soaking up the slow little stuff with more side wall flex. You can still feel the stiffness but its not truck jarring anymore.

On the springs you mentioned you were pretty sure spring rate is was your biggest issue for the slow speed stuff, the dirt road I was on had sections of pots holes now going through those at a good clip with the stockers the truck wouldn't roll as much side to side but you could feel they couldn't keep up and have a wheel off the ground here and there. With the icons the truck would roll more going in and outta the holes so the ride was ruffer but the wheels were always on the ground for me. So the question and this one is for dylan too if a softer spring was made and put on with the valving untouched do you think that would be enough remove the stiffness while keeping the wheels grounded. Or would you run into rebound and bottoming out problems not have to fight the bigger spring?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

I'm running goodyear duratracs at 38 psi.
If you went to a softer spring rate the compression and rebound would definitely need to be adjusted.
The high rebound damping is a byproduct of the stiffer spring rate, and part of why you were seeing your truck rocking back and forth with slower speeds, rather than the suspension drooping out into those holes a bit more independently.
The stiffness is caused by the damping, but the damping is necessary to control the spring rate, if you follow me...
I was just thinking that with a softer spring rate, perhaps Dylan could build a bit more compliance into the suspension at lower speeds.

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After riding in an icon equipped raptor, I'm anxious to feel Fox's. I wasn't too impressed with the icons. A little was the fact he was running too stiff of rear springs not knowing. The rear on your truck NTM, I can see why your liking the rear icons with the knob adjustability. You do know u can get fox to install the adjustment knobs on their shocks for $70 a side I believe. The rear suspension is what allows for a comfortable ride or not which I can also see y your keeping the icons for quick adjustability. Is this a main culprit why ur sticking with icons in the rear?! I'm anxious to see if you'll try fox again with rear knobs to finish off your findings.

Method NV/37's
Boatec front and Rear fenders
Rigid dually's in fogs
FOR NOW!

Last edited:

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is the OP response from above:

The shin guards, the adjustment knobs, and the silent valve seats.
Mainly the shin guards though, that's a huge feature to me since I'm offroad all day, every day.
And I don't feel that the rear end is lacking at all, they are working very well indeed.

After riding in an icon equipped raptor, I'm anxious to feel Fox's. I wasn't too impressed with the icons. A little was the fact he was running too stiff of rear springs not knowing. The rear on your truck NTM, I can see why your liking the rear icons with the knob adjustability. You do know u can get fox to install the adjustment knobs on their shocks for $70 a side I believe. The rear suspension is what allows for a comfortable ride or not which I can also see y your keeping the icons for quick adjustability. Is this a main culprit why ur sticking with icons in the rear?! I'm anxious to see if you'll try fox again with rear knobs to finish off your findings.

Method NV/37's
Rigid dually's in fogs
FOR NOW!

OP
OP
ntm

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Method NV/37's
Rigid dually's in fogs
FOR NOW!

I might do some testing of a set of fox 3.0 rears that have been valved specifically for cold weather later this winter. But no plans in the near future.
With the icons on all four corners and the nationals out back, I found the rear to ride much better than the front.
The icons would actually be more balanced with a bit stiffer rear spring to be honest.
I had zero issues with the rear, it was the front that was a bit harsh over washboard and chop.