Gen 3 Common issues we are now seeing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s what you need to be asking. If they’re not working on the vehicle, there is no reason for it to sit there on their lot, especially if you’re paying for a rental out of pocket.

You mentioned ForScan mods in another thread, have you modified anything? You also said the window issue was resolved by simply resetting the auto up function.

The majority of infotainment system issues are caused by the devices paired to the system. Have you done a Master Reset and verified both Sync and your devices are updated to the latest software levels?

Only in California does everyone think they’re entitled to have everything “bought back” for even the most mild of inconveniences. Your service writer is suggesting “buy back” because it costs them nothing and they don’t have to deal with it anymore. Ask them to trade you out of it for a ‘23 at no additional cost to you and see how their attitude changes.
I can say this .... I know youre a tech and passionate about your job... but you would be amazed how awful most dealers are. AMAZED man. Everything these people are saying I can say ive seen it even at the dealer I was a service advisor for.

As a side note here... If someone gets their truck bought back cause of the exhaust... id be shocked lol

Mallon3194

Reaction score
That’s what you need to be asking. If they’re not working on the vehicle, there is no reason for it to sit there on their lot, especially if you’re paying for a rental out of pocket.

You mentioned ForScan mods in another thread, have you modified anything? You also said the window issue was resolved by simply resetting the auto up function.

The majority of infotainment system issues are caused by the devices paired to the system. Have you done a Master Reset and verified both Sync and your devices are updated to the latest software levels?

Only in California does everyone think they’re entitled to have everything “bought back” for even the most mild of inconveniences. Your service writer is suggesting “buy back” because it costs them nothing and they don’t have to deal with it anymore. Ask them to trade you out of it for a ‘23 at no additional cost to you and see how their attitude changes.
I
Does your dealer have a partnership with a rental company, like Enterprise or somebody? If my dealer didn't have any loaners, they'd ALWAYS get me set up with a rental...absolutely nothing out of pocket.
Does your dealer have a partnership with a rental company, like Enterprise or somebody? If my dealer didn't have any loaners, they'd ALWAYS get me set up with a rental...absolutely nothing out of pocket.
They do with enterprise so they have covered some cost but it’s not the full amount.

Mallon3194

Reaction score
I can say this .... I know youre a tech and passionate about your job... but you would be amazed how awful most dealers are. AMAZED man. Everything these people are saying I can say ive seen it even at the dealer I was a service advisor for.

As a side note here... If someone gets their truck bought back cause of the exhaust... id be shocked lol
Agreed if it was just the exhaust issue it wouldn’t bother me so much, it’s the fact it’s been in and out so many times and still hasn’t been resolved

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed if it was just the exhaust issue it wouldn’t bother me so much, it’s the fact it’s been in and out so many times and still hasn’t been resolved
What dealer is it? If they can’t fix issues that simple then it needs to be escalated to Ford corporate, meaning a Field Engineer. They can request one by contacting the technical hotline.
?

Mallon3194

Reaction score

yea I do ask them, it’s (we are still working on it)

No mods bar a different set of wheels, I’ve lifetime warranty on it so I don’t want to lose that by modding anything, yes it works for a week or so then does it again, so not sure what’s up with it ( window)

And I’m from Ireland so the Cali thing done really apply, I just don’t have time to keep going in and out with a truck that’s one of the most expensive trucks out there!

Mallon3194

Reaction score
What dealer is it? If they can’t fix issues that simple then it needs to be escalated to Ford corporate, meaning a Field Engineer. They can request one by contacting the technical hotline.

?
Haha I’ve tried that the first time it went in and the called and said they fixed it (reset battery) said Weil open up some red ticket or some shit. I went on holidays came back 3 weeks later hadn't had a single call or email about it, so I went in and they said we didn’t raise a case!

Ford corporate said you’re supposed to try another dealership, but again I couldn’t get a rental from a dealership I had no affiliation or relationship with that was further from me, so I didn’t go that route!

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh I have seen it first hand as well, it’s beyond unacceptable. The industry is certainly short handed as a whole, but dealers still need to be held accountable for doing their job. Unfortunately it’s too easy for them to push it back to corporate to try and make their problems go away.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha I’ve tried that the first time it went in and the called and said they fixed it (reset battery) said Weil open up some red ticket or some shit. I went on holidays came back 3 weeks later hadn't had a single call or email about it, so I went in and they said we didn’t raise a case!

Ford corporate said you’re supposed to try another dealership, but again I couldn’t get a rental from a dealership I had no affiliation or relationship with that was further from me, so I didn’t go that route!
Corporate can usually set you up for a rental, I would certainly ask. They’ll typically recommend a dealership that they have a good relationship with who is actually willing to look at the vehicle and diagnose/repair it as necessary. I would also request a field engineer, they have the ability to assign one to your case. Although it hasn’t been into another dealer yet, the number of previous visits should meet the criteria to have a field engineer involved for a proper diagnosis/repair.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh I have seen it first hand as well, it’s beyond unacceptable. The industry is certainly short handed as a whole, but dealers still need to be held accountable for doing their job. Unfortunately it’s too easy for them to push it back to corporate to try and make their problems go away.
yup. Exactly why I quit being a SA and went back to school.

sc85fiero

Reaction score
This. Service departments make way more profit than new car sales. Or used car sales. Or financing. The ideal SA, from management perspective, is one who can sell lots of unnecessary service. "Look at this! Your transmission fluid. Notice how it smells bad. You need to take care of it now!" (It always smells bad) Pushing out warranty service pumps the profit margin because warranty pays the least. Lying to delay warranty work makes the dealership more money sooner. If the customer gets frustrated and avoids bringing other warranty work in, even better. Most SAs are on commission. The honest ones get pushed out or make so little money they leave. It's one place where you want the FNG on your team. The greenest kid around.
I know this is sort of off topic and an older post, but I was just reading through this thread and had to chime in on this, almost every aspect of this post is false.

At some level, the service department does create more profit for the dealership, but from an owner/dealer principal perspective the revenue generated from the service department goes towards what they call "service absorption" which is in a nutshell, the profit generated by the service department goes towards overall dealership operating expenses. 100% service absorption means the service department's gross covered all of the operating expenses of the entire dealership, therefore whatever sales generates is operating profit.

But not to get too far off topic, the real reason I am responding to this post is the completely false narrative that many people push about the service department making less money on warranty repairs. In fact, it is quite the opposite. Ford dealers operate on a negotiated labor rate which is GENERALLY, though not ALWAYS a higher labor rate than customer pay door rate. What happens is as the market adjusts and dealers increase their customer pay door rate, they can do a labor study and Ford will increase their warranty labor rate ABOVE the average customer pay door rate. Most of the time the service department is operating at this higher warranty labor rate until the market adjusts again and the customer pay door rate increases at which time they can perform another labor rate study.

Once people understand that warranty actually pays the dealer MORE than customer pay door rate, the rest of the narrative (dealers don't want warranty work, dealers would rather deny warranty repairs, or simply not performing warranty repairs "pumps up the profit margin") completely falls apart.

I can also tell you that in the 23 years Ive been in dealerships professionally at several different positions, the way service departments and service advisors operate have changed dramatically in the last 5-10 years. Now the almighty survey is king at a dealership. I personally know that most Ford dealerships (not all) would rather lose a few dollars here or there than to get bad surveys. Too low a CSI score can actually cost the dealership tens of thousands of dollars PER MONTH. One way to **** off an owner/dealer principal? Hit their personal income for $50,000 one month because the service advisor tried to sell "unnecessary" services too many times.

Times have changed, opinions like this seem to stick around but dealerships that operate to "rip off customers" don't stick around long anymore. Everyone is learning how to change and adapt to the increase amount of information out there. Service personnel are either embracing it or moving on.

Sorry for the long winded post and Im not personally attacking you, but part of my job is dealing with misinformation like this in my community and I feel the need to correct it when I see it.

-Joe