Gen 3 Common issues we are now seeing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stalled going up a steep gravel incline in 2wd. Rear tires broke loose and dug in. I was trying to see if the Torsen axle would engage in 2wd, it did not. I just restarted the truck put it in 4H and crawled up. 200km and 1 day of ownership.
Not worried and probably not an issue, but I figured I’d share just in case.
The Torsen will do nothing in 2WD; there is no power going to the front axle.

Shinysideup

Reaction score
torsen is up front and only on the 21 & 22 Gen3s.. its limited slip in the rear till you turn the locker on... idk could be wrong
I have a ‘22 with Torsen. Now that I think about it, of course it would only engage in 4h and 4l since the torsen is pretty much a limited slip so it would need the front to be engaged and turning. Duh. My bad.
Anyways, it was the stalling that I found was odd, not the lack of traction.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a ‘22 with Torsen. Now that I think about it, of course it would only engage in 4h and 4l since the torsen is pretty much a limited slip so it would need the front to be engaged and turning. Duh. My bad.
Anyways, it was the stalling that I found was odd, not the lack of traction.
Hold the traction control button down for 10sec after just pushing it. Thank me later.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Hold the traction control button down for 10sec after just pushing it. Thank me later.
On the Gen2 you can just press and hold down the traction control button for approximately 7 seconds and it will not only disable traction control but also disablestability control feature too.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The fix for this was released in Service Message 51663. There is a software update for the DSP (amplifier).
Hey FordTechOne, any idea why my turn signals are sometimes normal, sometimes extra loud, and then today for the first time, they didn't make any click-click-click noise at all? I liked it being all silent, though the normal doesn't bother me. The extra loud is pretty annoying. Never had the silent though until this morning. Possible relation to stereo issues?

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey FordTechOne, any idea why my turn signals are sometimes normal, sometimes extra loud, and then today for the first time, they didn't make any click-click-click noise at all? I liked it being all silent, though the normal doesn't bother me. The extra loud is pretty annoying. Never had the silent though until this morning. Possible relation to stereo issues?
Any electrical or audio related mods? The IPC is the chime arbitrator; if there are DTCs in any of the audio system modules the chimes can revert to the IPC speaker.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Any electrical or audio related mods? The IPC is the chime arbitrator; if there are DTCs in any of the audio system modules the chimes can revert to the IPC speaker.
No audio/electrical modifications aside from a dash camera install that has been in it since day two of ownership. Looks like I made a change to the IPC through FORScan for something (I don't know which edit, I just see a backup file in my archive at home) but they usually sound off. I suppose it's not enough to bother me, was more curious than anything. I'll see if there are any DTC codes being thrown. Thank you!

jaibyrd

Reaction score
Anyone else getting a warning chirp when riding over some bumps? While riding on some bumpy class VI roads in both 4A and 2H with and without the driver assist on, I occasionally get a single chirp. Thought it might be the assist but shutting that off it still happens.