Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

full-race geoff

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been enjoying reading this write up but I have I a few questions that I hope you can answer:
1. You mention the Melling M490, why not the Melling M390HV?
2. I didn't see in your list of parts any of the replacement P/Ns for the bolt. I was under the belief that some of these bolts such as the one for the Crank Pully was a torque to yield and only one time use?
Thanks,
Antonio

1. Melling 390HV fits only Gen 1 ecoboost 3,5L (2011-2016 f150, 2015-2017 expy/navi and 2013-2024 transit). this is a traditional pump with a spring to regulate pressure. melling pre-installs a stiffer spring for higher static oil pressure than OEM - and I don't think that's a good thing for the turbos. Melling does include an optional softer spring which you can swap in... I feel that should be the standard spring the pump ships with, but I digress.

Gen2 ecoboost uses a solenoid to regulate oil pressure, its a well engineered and highly effective solution. ford got this part right. and the ability to programmatically adjust oil pressure is incredible

2. its in there: HL3Z-6A340-A
1725502080549.png
although i realized i forgot to mention the phaser bolts, will add that when i get some time

Last edited:

TheClaw

Reaction score
Compressor inlet visual comparison:
OEM sized compressor inlet on top, will choke around 19psi boost.
Oversized inlet on bottom, to suit Garrett's large diameter ported shroud compressor inlet
View attachment 465695

Is this a modification to the oem inlet or aftermaket? I currently have the small adapter and stock inlet but want to use the oversized adapter. Thats a huge choke point.

OP
OP
F

full-race geoff

Reaction score
@TheClaw - these are the Garrett Powermax turbo inlets in the photos!

Thanks for your responses above
my pleasure
I was able to find out and change alot to my cam phaser install before it was to late. Cant wait to see your build complete!!!

:biggrin:

@dillard09 - do you have access to the motor with broken crankshaft? Would love to see a photo of the front of the harmonic balancer crank pulley and get a visual on the elastomer

Last edited:

Ted Judson

Reaction score
Hello,

I need to replace my 2018 Raptor motor with 111k miles due to what appears to be a bad oil pump. I see you are very knowledgable about Gen2 and Gen3 motors. I am planning on getting a low milage used motor. Should I get a Gen 3? Does it matter what year. Are there any problems I will find going with the Gen 3? Also while the motor is out and before I put it in should I change anything like oil pan or anything else? Thank you in advance for your time.

Last edited: