GEN 2 Engine auto on/off annoyance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ReefBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change your driving habits.

Stop inching up over and over again.

Anyhow, if you do a couple rapid stops, it disables until you move a certain distance.

photoneffect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change your driving habits.

Stop inching up over and over again.

Anyhow, if you do a couple rapid stops, it disables until you move a certain distance.

Change your car.

Stop letting a car dictate how you drive.

Seriously, it's a stupid feature. Every time it turns my car off I dump a gallon of gas on the ground. Take that environment!

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really wonder how many guys commenting have driven one that has a rough start? It makes it feel like your driving a POS or even to have passengers comment.

It drove me crazy in my 12' F150 at a prolonged stop light/sign my truck would shutter every so often. I could shift from drive in to neutral and the shutter would go away and I noticed my RPM's would go up. I took it into the dealer and they claimed it was normal, took it in multiple times. Yep it was normal, same issue in wife's 13 and 16 F150's. Well normal isn't acceptable to me.

Got a tuner and adjusted the low RPM's in drive and issue went away. To each their own, but I prefer a smooth idle and take off. Will be doing one of the mods, as I too wish it just memorized last settings. Even hate it how tow haul mode turns off....fuel up on long trips with trailer and drive down the road realizing truck isn't responding right, oh didn't turn back on tow/haul mode...arrggh and these things know the trailer is yet connected...stupid.

HUFN8OR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stupid, stupid "feature."

It's become habit now for me to just press the button to turn it off every time I start up. That and I use Sport mode a lot.

Cobragt

Reaction score
I just automatically put mine in Sport on every start. I use it 100% of the time even on the Interstate. At just over 1100 miles it is over 16 miles per gallon on Regular gas and runs great. This is in the mountains of West Virginia where my house is at 2517 feet and I have to cross the mountain at over 4500 feet on most trips. I even like how it gears itself down going down the mountain. I believe this will make the brakes last much longer because I usually do not have to touch the brakes much at all while going down the mountain. I only have 2 red lights in the whole county so I could not save anything at stop lights except on trips anyway.

OP
OP
X

xil3

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm just remembering to push the button all the time now.

Yesterday evening, the general manager of the dealership called me and we had a long chat - he pretty much agreed that it wasn't a good feature on a performance truck like this. He said that if enough people complain, they'll push a software upgrade that will allow you to disable it.

I doubt Ford will do anything about it. They probably get lots of money back from the government for reaching a certain MPG goal, which this obviously plays a big part in.

Hamm3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, I just don't get the hate over it.
I've spent a lot of time driving my dad's '17 FX4 with the 3.5/10spd and I absolutely love the start-stop on it. You can't even tell it's happening other than the truck gets super quiet which I think is pleasant. Not to mention all the gas it is saving.
However, I feel it's intelligent to reach over and just tap the switch in something like a drive-through. You know, something where you're constantly inching forward?

Anyway, to each their own. Auto start-stop and the Pano-roof are two features of the new Raptor I would love to have on mine.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He said that if enough people complain, they'll push a software upgrade that will allow you to disable it.

I doubt Ford will do anything about it. They probably get lots of money back from the government for reaching a certain MPG goal, which this obviously plays a big part in.

I think if enough people complain they will do something. It's a simple software upgrade that should be added, keep last settings or reset to default.

I don't see why they couldn't add this and make it yet pass government requirements...from memory a new Dodge car I drove I was able to go into the settings and disable it...I am sure though with a battery change/system reset it would go back to enabled...

Come on Ford.

OP
OP
X

xil3

Reaction score
Man, I just don't get the hate over it.
I've spent a lot of time driving my dad's '17 FX4 with the 3.5/10spd and I absolutely love the start-stop on it. You can't even tell it's happening other than the truck gets super quiet which I think is pleasant. Not to mention all the gas it is saving.
However, I feel it's intelligent to reach over and just tap the switch in something like a drive-through. You know, something where you're constantly inching forward?

Anyway, to each their own. Auto start-stop and the Pano-roof are two features of the new Raptor I would love to have on mine.

I get why it's there - my gripe is just that they force it on for each new engine cycle. If they gave us the ability to turn it off permanently, that doesn't prevent people that want it on from keeping it on.