GEN 2 Engine auto on/off annoyance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hamm3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get why it's there - my gripe is just that they force it on for each new engine cycle. If they gave us the ability to turn it off permanently, that doesn't prevent people that want it on from keeping it on.
I can agree with that.

photoneffect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, I just don't get the hate over it.
I've spent a lot of time driving my dad's '17 FX4 with the 3.5/10spd and I absolutely love the start-stop on it. You can't even tell it's happening other than the truck gets super quiet which I think is pleasant. Not to mention all the gas it is saving.
However, I feel it's intelligent to reach over and just tap the switch in something like a drive-through. You know, something where you're constantly inching forward?

Anyway, to each their own. Auto start-stop and the Pano-roof are two features of the new Raptor I would love to have on mine.

You might understand if you actually had it. The engine turning off isn't the issue. It's when it turns back on. It's loud and jerky enough that every single passenger you have will remark on it. If I'm just trying to relax on a drive home it's the first thing I notice that is offputting in an otherwise fantastic drive.

Hamm3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might understand if you actually had it. The engine turning off isn't the issue. It's when it turns back on. It's loud and jerky enough that every single passenger you have will remark on it. If I'm just trying to relax on a drive home it's the first thing I notice that is offputting in an otherwise fantastic drive.
There were 4 of us in the truck, and we all spent an entire weekend in it.
Not a single person commented on it negatively. The only comments that were made, "It is eerily quiet in here."

photoneffect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There were 4 of us in the truck, and we all spent an entire weekend in it.
Not a single person commented on it negatively. The only comments that were made, "It is eerily quiet in here."

Guess we just have different friends! I've had 10 people in mine so far and every single one of them said something to the effect of "what the hell was that?!" I then explain and its half and half whether they say "that's cool" or "that's dumb", but the conversation always happens.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Guess we just have different friends! I've had 10 people in mine so far and every single one of them said something to the effect of "what the hell was that?!" I then explain and its half and half whether they say "that's cool" or "that's dumb", but the conversation always happens.

I find mine to be a bit on the inconsistent side. sometimes the start up is smooth as silk. Other times, the whole truck lurches forward. Also, the restart coming off the brake pedal sometimes seems like i have to come completely off the brake, other times I just lightly lift and the truck starts. it can be a little quick too, it nabbed me in my driveway and I shifted into park and the truck started back up !

photoneffect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find mine to be a bit on the inconsistent side. sometimes the start up is smooth as silk. Other times, the whole truck lurches forward. Also, the restart coming off the brake pedal sometimes seems like i have to come completely off the brake, other times I just lightly lift and the truck starts. it can be a little quick too, it nabbed me in my driveway and I shifted into park and the truck started back up !

Yeah same here. I've never been in another car that had it so I can't really judge how it compares, but on average it's not smooth enough to warrant leaving non-disabled. I just don't see the value of this system whatsoever.

ron.bumpus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
disable it with Forescan
BCM 726-48-02 x0xx xxxx xxxx

X leave alone
2nd character change to a 0

Over a week now and no issues, and NO auto stop/start

guernsej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple things to consider regarding start/stop

-EPA disallows use of start/stop during MPG testing if it can be permanently disabled by the user. Start/stop usually reduces consumption by 5-10% during the city cycle so manufacturers are disinclined to provide the feature unless it meets EPA testing requirements.

-Start/stop is generally considered to be low impact on the engine (starter components have already been engineered to handle increased ignition cycles) but stressful for the battery (usually resulting in the use of very large, very expensive AGM batteries). Your starter components are probably going to last a long time regardless, but disabling start stop can greatly extend the life of your battery.

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really wonder how many guys commenting have driven one that has a rough start? It makes it feel like your driving a POS or even to have passengers comment.

It drove me crazy in my 12' F150 at a prolonged stop light/sign my truck would shutter every so often. I could shift from drive in to neutral and the shutter would go away and I noticed my RPM's would go up. I took it into the dealer and they claimed it was normal, took it in multiple times. Yep it was normal, same issue in wife's 13 and 16 F150's. Well normal isn't acceptable to me.

Got a tuner and adjusted the low RPM's in drive and issue went away. To each their own, but I prefer a smooth idle and take off. Will be doing one of the mods, as I too wish it just memorized last settings. Even hate it how tow haul mode turns off....fuel up on long trips with trailer and drive down the road realizing truck isn't responding right, oh didn't turn back on tow/haul mode...arrggh and these things know the trailer is yet connected...stupid.

^ this. I just pulled a trailer 1100 miles, and it drove me crazy. Why is it that the truck knows the trailer is there, but doesn't engage tow/haul mode automatically? At least if it won't engage automatically, it should STAY engaged after I engage it manually. I just don't understand how it detects a trailer and automatically adjusts the blind spot distance and does other things like increasing the number of flashes when you "tap" the blinkers, but doesn't engage tow/haul mode. Crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk