Drove a Gen 2 for the first time - Pros and Cons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

derklink

Reaction score
Soo, yesterday...I drove a "regular" F-150 with the 2.7. I really liked it and was surprised how quick it is from a dig. Turbos spooling up very fast. The 10-speed also seemed smoother (probably more tuned for comfort). Suspension and overall ride comfort is of course way inferior compared to the Raptor. Interestingly, during my test drive, a Gen 2 Raptor with aftermarket exhaust flew by me as if some higher force wanted to tell me..."get the Raptor". I think I've made my decision in favor of the F-150 with the 2.7 which will be fine for my needs (daily commute and family vehicle and the occasional haul for projects and helping friends without a truck move stuff).

Any thoughts on the Tremor or is that blasphemous to ask here? ;)

Jetjock15

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2.7 is a very impressive motor. My 2015 is lifted on 34x11.5s or close (metric). Had 33x12.5s before. It has no issues. Very zippy. Lots of torque. Think for anything but towing it’s the motor to beat. One time a sensor on head was leaking oil. Easy fix. Zero other issues. I’m at 160k and driving everyday. It’s fun to drive but like I said before my 15 is the 6 speed so hard to compare. A 3.5 with 6 speed would be a hoot

OP
OP
D

derklink

Reaction score
Why do you not want the 3.5?
I’m open to it but I don’t tow so I guess I don’t “need” it. However, since the 2.7 is the base engine, there seem to be a lot less Lariats with that engine. From my research (please feel free to disagree):
- 2.7 is more reliable
- 2.7 gets better gas mileage
- 2.7 has more pep from a stop (smaller turbos spool up faster)

Downside could be:
- in case I decide to tow later, the 2.7 is of course worse than the 3.5
- maybe the 3.5 holds its value slightly better ‘cause more people want it?

I also briefly considered the hybrid but I don’t do much city driving and that’s where it’s seems to shine plus the added complication of the hybrid system and battery

Reaction score
Bro owning a Raptor doesn’t mean you need to be in a Baja race everyday. You drive this truck around as a daily and use the truck when you need I have a 5500 trailer I pull with zero issues other then a visual squat. I take my children to the skatepark with their bikes and scooters and skateboards on Sundays. I get wood from Lowe’s and take stuff to the dump. It’s a fun truck and awesome at being a truck. Towing capacity is less fuel mileage is less but trust me using this as a daily is so worth it. Plus the few times I get off road it’s amazing. I hunt once a year elk in Colorado and I take my children camping but other then that I drive 100 miles a day 3 days a week for work to commute and I love this truck. Join the club.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A regular F150 will tow more weight and can handle more weight in the bed. As far as people saying its a waste if your not off roading, well how many people actually buy Mustangs and other muscle cars and never go to a drag strip or buy a Corvette and etc and never go to a Track. Smiles with Miles can mean alot.

Sharpie69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A regular F150 will tow more weight and can handle more weight in the bed. As far as people saying its a waste if your not off roading, well how many people actually buy Mustangs and other muscle cars and never go to a drag strip or buy a Corvette and etc and never go to a Track. Smiles with Miles can mean alot.
Smiles per mile, that's 100% true