Drive modes not available error message. Gen 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McCarthy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
South LA.

Having to drive over an hour to get to the dealer willing to help (the one I purchased at). Three local dealers, all refused loaners, and were sept-nov for appointments. 2/3 wanted the truck for "up to 48 HR" to then schedule an actual appointment at a later time. Of course all are without loaners. I got rid of my Lightning and we have a 3mo old baby so I can't take my wife's car.

It just doesn't make sense to me that these dealerships don't have a loaner for an 87k truck. My wife gets a loaner for an oil change, and they bring it to her/pick up her car and then drop it off when done. I didn't even have issues when I owned a Ram getting a loaner. It's a brand new truck, and Ford CS has been useless. I kept my appointment from two months ago with purchasing dealer (which is next week) but they are the ones who only fixed 1/5 things and that one is the messed up sunroof now missing parts. Small dealer with just a few repair bays.

The price of the truck is irrelevant, Why would someone who bought a raptor get a loaner, yet someone who bought say a 10k cheaper platty shouldn't? Nobody cares it's a raptor. They want it for 48h to diagnose it so they can book it in to fix it... I knew there was more to the story.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
It just doesn't make sense to me that these dealerships don't have a loaner for an 87k truck. My wife gets a loaner for an oil change, and they bring it to her/pick up her car and then drop it off when done. I didn't even have issues when I owned a Ram getting a loaner. It's a brand new truck, and Ford CS has been useless. I kept my appointment from two months ago with purchasing dealer (which is next week) but they are the ones who only fixed 1/5 things and that one is the messed up sunroof now missing parts. Small dealer with just a few repair bays.
You don't normally get a loaner during the diagnosis portion of your visit. The dealer is not going to eat the cost of the loaner when the problem may not in fact be a warranty issue. When it is determined the repair is on their dime, they normally set you up with a rental or loaner.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The price of the truck is irrelevant, Why would someone who bought a raptor get a loaner, yet someone who bought say a 10k cheaper platty shouldn't? Nobody cares it's a raptor. They want it for 48h to diagnose it so they can book it in to fix it... I knew there was more to the story.
Even with first day loaner on your ESP? When I lived in Houston, I generally got one the first day. Also, I’ve never heard of the 24-48hr diagnostic period. I have lived in several states and 6 cities, on my 7th F150, and have never been asked for that diagnostic drop off period before getting a service appointment. One of them offered a decent time for that (less than a month) but the other was in Sept when I called early June.

Also, the price/classification of the vehicle does seem like it would warrant at least an equivalent loaner. For example, a Fiesta owner would generally seem to require some sort of car, and obviously a truck owner would need some sort of a truck otherwise they wouldn’t have bought it. I’ve never had issues getting them until I got this truck, even my when my old 2018 went in for Cam Phasers, they gave me an F150.

Last edited:

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
Even with first day loaner on your ESP? When I lived in Houston, I generally got one the first day. Also, I’ve never wanted the 24-48hr diagnostic period. I have lived in several states and 6 cities, on my 7th F150, and have never been asked for that diagnostic drop off period.
You are correct....if you have the ESP, you should get a loaner on the first day.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't normally get a loaner during the diagnosis portion of your visit. The dealer is not going to eat the cost of the loaner when the problem may not in fact be a warranty issue. When it is determined the repair is on their dime, they normally set you up with a rental or loaner.
My 2011 had moulded leadframe problems. It was a dealer demo, and I was told by the salesman the warranty was from the day I bought it.

Anyway, they gave me a loaner from the dealer and then called me about the truck a week later. Turns out, the warranty was 3/60 from the date of delivery. I was at 64k. I was charged for the loaner from day one since the truck was out of warranty. Not sure it’s the same, but they did not eat the week of the loaner while diagnosing.

Also, the issues with this truck are documented with my original dealer and were attempted to be fixed by them, which was approved under warranty and in the system…so they wouldn’t be eating anything

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another update. You can see my last update was April 4th.

The service rep I was working with left the dealership. I have been trying for months to get assigned to another rep. Each one I talk to says that they will take my issue and call me when the part comes in or update me in a couple of days. Each time that doesn't happen.

Finally got through to the service manager on Monday. Apparently the part is in the dealership. Who knows how long it has been there. Service Manager is taking the truck in on Monday and will replace the solenoid as well as continue to work on the infotainment OTA issue as that was not resolved last time I was there. Will be about 90 days from when I first got this issue diagnosed to the fix. Way to go, Ford.
Final update. I am up and running now. Got the shock solenoid replaced and somehow the service tech was able to resolve the OTA issue. I now have full screen Android Auto. Service team was great to work with. I also had them do an oil change and they found a nail in my tire which they patched. Had to pay for the oil change and the patch, but the service manager gave me $50 off for the long lead time on fixing the shock solenoid. My total out the door was almost nothing.

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Final update. I am up and running now. Got the shock solenoid replaced and somehow the service tech was able to resolve the OTA issue. I now have full screen Android Auto. Service team was great to work with. I also had them do an oil change and they found a nail in my tire which they patched. Had to pay for the oil change and the patch, but the service manager gave me $50 off for the long lead time on fixing the shock solenoid. My total out the door was almost nothing.
any chance you can dm me a photo of your paperwork on the solenoid and ota issue? certain i have both and the dealers ive tried to work with have been not so great/terrible

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any chance you can dm me a photo of your paperwork on the solenoid and ota issue? certain i have both and the dealers ive tried to work with have been not so great/terrible
I can look in the truck after these calls I am on. The basics was that I had to take it in when the drive mode fault was present. Then they diagnosed it to identify the shock solenoid issue (I told them where to look based on feedback here, they confirmed). For the OTA issue, all the service advisor said was that the updates started coming in after they replaced the module.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
I can look in the truck after these calls I am on. The basics was that I had to take it in when the drive mode fault was present. Then they diagnosed it to identify the shock solenoid issue (I told them where to look based on feedback here, they confirmed). For the OTA issue, all the service advisor said was that the updates started coming in after they replaced the module.
Glad you got it all worked out. I think I have the OTA issue, but I am dreading another visit to my "helpful" Ford service team. Pretty bad when you liken it to going to the dentist.