Drive modes not available error message. Gen 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on my issue. The drive modes were disabled again last Thursday. Without shutting off the truck, I took it to the service department and they were able to see the issue.

They have had the truck for 5 days, finally looked at it. Confirmed what a previous poster stated. They need to replace the left front shock solenoid. While they have it, they are updating all of my infotainment updates as I haven't been getting OTAs.

Waiting on the tech to call me to let me know how long the wait is on the part. Fingers crossed it isn't 2 months like the first guy that posted....

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So they called and they will have the part around the 10th. They offered to let me pick up the truck and then take it back when the part is in.

For the OTA issue, they said they pushed an update per the direction from Ford and the rest of the OTAs should arrive shortly thereafter. If this doesn't happen, they will address when the solenoid comes in.

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another update. You can see my last update was April 4th.

The service rep I was working with left the dealership. I have been trying for months to get assigned to another rep. Each one I talk to says that they will take my issue and call me when the part comes in or update me in a couple of days. Each time that doesn't happen.

Finally got through to the service manager on Monday. Apparently the part is in the dealership. Who knows how long it has been there. Service Manager is taking the truck in on Monday and will replace the solenoid as well as continue to work on the infotainment OTA issue as that was not resolved last time I was there. Will be about 90 days from when I first got this issue diagnosed to the fix. Way to go, Ford.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was also the driver's side shock sensor, caught up in plastic from the factory and pulled from it's hanger to rub the CV boot.

Dealer isn't wanting to fix it because they "can't replicate the issue", despite visibly stripped/rubbed wires and a picture I took of the plastic caught up on the wire.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine was also the driver's side shock sensor, caught up in plastic from the factory and pulled from it's hanger to rub the CV boot.

Dealer isn't wanting to fix it because they "can't replicate the issue", despite visibly stripped/rubbed wires and a picture I took of the plastic caught up on the wire.
Time to pay another dealer a visit.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time to pay another dealer a visit.
They can’t fix anything so far. Had the truck 8wk and now my truck is missing parts and more issues than before. Other dealers can’t get me in for 4-5mo. I’m sick of driving a 2016 Ford Escape and not being able to tow my boat to go fishing

McCarthy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reach out to ford customer relations. They will help. 4-5 months out (if true...) is insane.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reach out to ford customer relations. They will help. 4-5 months out (if true...) is insane.
I tried. They said that they cannot do anything to help with dealer wait times. The lady I spoke to pretty much argued with me and then we "lost connection" at some point after waiting so long.

I don't really know what to do with the truck. I waited so long for it and like the truck overall, but it sucks to pay this much for a truck and it be so faulty. To rub it in, not being able to fix it in makes it worse. Literally 8 weeks of being without my truck from Dec-April and the only thing that was fixed was they lost my sunroof wind deflector, misaligned sunroof so it leaks, and forgot to attach the privacy shield or whatever is below the sunroof so it flaps if a window is down and is droopy/sags when rolled back.

The dealer that is actually willing to work on it is acting like they are doing me a favor. Also, the $30/day rental reimbursement is a joke. I'm looking at a minimum of $47/day for a Nissan Altima and over $70/day for a pickup. No dealer here has any loaners except I "may be lucky enough" to get an Escape. My 2018 was a great truck and was only in the shop for cam phasers until 92k. I am at the point of wishing I would have kept it.

McCarthy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you live? Let's try to find a dealer that has a realistic wait time.

Last edited:

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you live? Let's try to find a dealer that has a realistic wait time.
South LA.

Having to drive over an hour to get to the dealer willing to help (the one I purchased at). Three local dealers, all refused loaners, and were sept-nov for appointments. 2/3 wanted the truck for "up to 48 HR" to then schedule an actual appointment at a later time. Of course all are without loaners. I got rid of my Lightning and we have a 3mo old baby so I can't take my wife's car.

It just doesn't make sense to me that these dealerships don't have a loaner for an 87k truck. My wife gets a loaner for an oil change, and they bring it to her/pick up her car and then drop it off when done. I didn't even have issues when I owned a Ram getting a loaner. It's a brand new truck, and Ford CS has been useless. I kept my appointment from two months ago with purchasing dealer (which is next week) but they are the ones who only fixed 1/5 things and that one is the messed up sunroof now missing parts. Small dealer with just a few repair bays.