Differential and transfer case service needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '21 Gen 3 has 45K miles. Dealer is pushing front and rear transfer case flush and transfer case service. Are those really essential at this point?

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All lubrication fluids age, and they age whether the unit is used or not. I've done both differentials and the transfer case several times on my GEN1. The transfer case is easy - it actually has a drain plug! The differentials, not so, and you need the means to suck the old gear oil out. Either that or remove the covers, and that's not at all easy. Ford glues the covers on, and the access to the front differential cover is very, very limited. I have found that the best tool to remove the gear oil from the differentials is a vacuum device powered by compressed air.

OP
OP
ganooch

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All lubrication fluids age, and they age whether the unit is used or not. I've done both differentials and the transfer case several times on my GEN1. The transfer case is easy - it actually has a drain plug! The differentials, not so, and you need the means to suck the old gear oil out. Either that or remove the covers, and that's not at all easy. Ford glues the covers on, and the access to the front differential cover is very, very limited. I have found that the best tool to remove the gear oil from the differentials is a vacuum device powered by compressed air.
So do you feel that changing all three is essential at 45K miles?

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TC id do every 20k max, i do mine every 10k
Front and rear id do at 50k just to check them out and swap on a new rear cover

Technically speaking none of those are ESSENTIAL, but if keeping long term then yeah id do them all at 50k, TC and rear diff are easily doable by yourself, fronts a pain in the ass but doable by yourself.