5.2 vs. 3.5 EB Longevity & Reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mstgkillr

Reaction score
I daily drive my 21’ Raptor and I am quickly closing in on 60k miles. I see many high mileage 3.5 EBs out there, but not a lot of info on the SC 5.2. I am thinking of upgrading to a Raptor R, but concerned with the overall longevity and reliability of the engine. I’m hoping for whatever I keep to go ~250k miles. Any thoughts?

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I recommend changing oil every 3k, my 18 has almost 83k on it and has been problem free! I also upgraded a bunch of stuff when truck was new as well as a custom stage 2 tune from @GooseTuned. I too was thinking about an R but I will not pay the outrageous over the top price!!!!! I choose to keep my 18 and will be doing Garett power max stage 2 turbos and supporting mods. Even if it blows there is always the option to buy a built block and go mid/long travel for less than the cost of the R, considering you own your truck. Just my 2 cents

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are likely zero 150K mile 5.2 supercharged engines in any vehicle out there let alone 250K. I don’t think there will be any difference in longevity between the two. One has proof and the other doesn’t, but I wouldn’t have doubts with either if aggressively maintained.

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I daily my R. I got it in April and it has 8k already.

I had the same concerns, but look how many hellcats have made it to high mileage. Not the same engine, but it goes to show a supercharged V8 should be able to daily without too much trouble.

I don’t drive the shit out of it everytime I go somewhere, and I change the oil every 5k. Hopefully that works out

Reaction score
I daily drive my 2023 R. I bought it a year and 2 months ago. Just about to hit 50k miles this week… and I actually use it to do truck stuff… it pulls a trailer with car on it weekly with no issues… the only issue I have had has been with the rear end… which they fixed under warranty at 28k miles…

Last edited: