Deal or No deal - Real world ADM - Being Transparent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not saying everyone will be lying but there will no doubt be a few that will. If you think the opposite then you are quite naïve and we obviously don't live in the same reality. I've been on this planet we call Earth for a few years and this isn't my first rodeo.

:rolleyes:
Me: I don't think many are outright lying...
You: I'm not saying everyone will be lying but there will no doubt be a few that will.

How the heck are you interpreting those statements as opposites?

RaptorWhoSaysNI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:rolleyes:
Me: I don't think many are outright lying...
You: I'm not saying everyone will be lying but there will no doubt be a few that will.

How the heck are you interpreting those statements as opposites?
I didn't......I said "IF".........

I'm not going to argue semantics, I agree with you.

Last edited:

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Before your next vehicle purchase, read up on negotiating and practice at some swap meets or something. This is basic human interaction, like when you interview for a job and the interviewer asks you what you expect to make --and-- you’re either not sure or grossly undervalue your service. The interviewer wants to hire at the least amount possible with the most skill for the buck, usually, here the vehicle seller wants to milk you for every dollar possible, and did.

But leverage is the biggest factor in any negotiation. The seller asked for more money because they can easily sell the vehicle to another customer, why buyer will have a hard time finding a better deal, if they can find another deal at all. It's entirely possible that OP could have threatened to walk away and seller would have gone back to MSRP, but are you willing to walk away and wait another 6-12 months over 5k?

OP
OP
gobluejd

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
Before your next vehicle purchase, read up on negotiating and practice at some swap meets or something. This is basic human interaction, like when you interview for a job and the interviewer asks you what you expect to make --and-- you’re either not sure or grossly undervalue your service. The interviewer wants to hire at the least amount possible with the most skill for the buck, usually, here the vehicle seller wants to milk you for every dollar possible, and did.

I am quite capable of negotiating. I am 50 years old and have bought/leased many cars, few homes and even deal with Verizon and the dreaded COMCAST. And I do quite fine.

Here are the facts whether you like them or not:

I did NOT care what he made on my lease trade in. Whether he decided to pay remaining payments and I walk away. OR he bought the vehicle and made a profit. I WANTED TO WALK AWAY. It was a lease. I got out of it what I EXPECTED. I have sold leases in the past and made money. However Ford is not allowing leases to be bought by 3rd party, only to a dealer or lease holder. Selling out right and or trying to make a few thousand dollars was not in my plans. To much work for what I felt was a waste of my time with no guarantee of outcome, headache of taxes, transfer of title etc.

He told me upfront there could be a $5k ADM, but if there was he would split it and it would be up to the owner. I have bought/lease many vehicles from him. I actually trust the guy. So worst case, I am in for $2500 ADM. I didn't care, I felt any what half of the guys hear are explaining, some are upwards of $15k.

So I have a $5k ADM (which was a possibility upfront) in which he is giving me half back on something I was not expecting.

I do not care if people are in fact paying ADM, not paying ADM, under MRSP. I walked into the whole thing knowing there was a possibility of paying over MRSP of $5k. I made it out with $2500 ADM. He did not go back on his word, he split it.

I do not care what he makes on my lease, what he makes on selling at MRSP.

On a side note, when I was there he had a guy fly in from Texas and bought a Shelby GT at $50k ADM. I saw the paper work. The guy just arrived.

ashleyg

Reaction score
This thread magnifies the importance of finding a good dealer and establishing a good relationship. I can understand paying MSRP, but paying ADM is silly. Too many dealers that will sell for MSRP or under if you are willing to look around or use the search function on this forum. Texas is a cheap flight from most of the country and a helluva lot cheaper than paying MSRP or over.
I was tracking a 37 heading to Texas, they wanted $20k over...."in production" not "built" yet... within 2 days they were paid in full cashiers check sight unseen, before delivery... Very very few 37's are going for MSRP..... $20k all day long out here in socal...even my usual dealer in Fresno had to order way over MSRP

WestTXRaptor6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was tracking a 37 heading to Texas, they wanted $20k over...."in production" not "built" yet... within 2 days they were paid in full cashiers check sight unseen, before delivery... Very very few 37's are going for MSRP..... $20k all day long out here in socal...even my usual dealer in Fresno had to order way over MSRP
Correct. Plenty of dealers in every state selling limited production vehicles over sticker. My point is to find a dealer that is easy to deal with and does not charge that ********. It's not that hard to do.

WestTXRaptor6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am quite capable of negotiating. I am 50 years old and have bought/leased many cars, few homes and even deal with Verizon and the dreaded COMCAST. And I do quite fine.

Here are the facts whether you like them or not:

I did NOT care what he made on my lease trade in. Whether he decided to pay remaining payments and I walk away. OR he bought the vehicle and made a profit. I WANTED TO WALK AWAY. It was a lease. I got out of it what I EXPECTED. I have sold leases in the past and made money. However Ford is not allowing leases to be bought by 3rd party, only to a dealer or lease holder. Selling out right and or trying to make a few thousand dollars was not in my plans. To much work for what I felt was a waste of my time with no guarantee of outcome, headache of taxes, transfer of title etc.

He told me upfront there could be a $5k ADM, but if there was he would split it and it would be up to the owner. I have bought/lease many vehicles from him. I actually trust the guy. So worst case, I am in for $2500 ADM. I didn't care, I felt any what half of the guys hear are explaining, some are upwards of $15k.

So I have a $5k ADM (which was a possibility upfront) in which he is giving me half back on something I was not expecting.

I do not care if people are in fact paying ADM, not paying ADM, under MRSP. I walked into the whole thing knowing there was a possibility of paying over MRSP of $5k. I made it out with $2500 ADM. He did not go back on his word, he split it.

I do not care what he makes on my lease, what he makes on selling at MRSP.

On a side note, when I was there he had a guy fly in from Texas and bought a Shelby GT at $50k ADM. I saw the paper work. The guy just arrived.
I think your situation is different since you are spending inheritance money instead of money you worked for. No disrespect. I just think money earned is harder to waste.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

I’m suggesting that some brushing up would improve your negotiating and resulting outcomes. Everyone can negotiate, and all of us can learn to do it better.

These same shenanigans went on in 2016-2018. I bought my Raptor for MSRP 70 minutes outside of Washington, DC after getting exactly the same pitch, several times over email, text, phone, in person. I even went through my CU’s buying service to get one ordered, which went great, right up to the point that papers came out when they sprang the $15k ADM on me. I walked out. I definitely didn’t like or want to be in that market place, but my current vehicle at the time was nickel and diming me and I had a feeling that wasn’t going to improve at 10 years old. If I could have ridden that car another 18 months, I’d have probably saved a solid $5-6k.

It’s a pretty well established fact that if you’re shopping inside the urban-suburban bubble, those places are less willing to negotiate, because their customer base are either impatient, have money to burn, both, maybe more - who knows. There’s no guarantee that going to a rural dealer will land you a good deal, but I think a lot of us have found family owned/run dealers tend to be more realistic about what they have, how they approach selling it and retain customers and it’s probably an easier overall experience.

When stealership staff says up front there’s going to be an ADM, you can either agree to pay extra or say no. It could be financially viable to bite the bullet and take a small ADM if the closest MSRP deal you find is going to cost you more in flight, time, lodging and misc. expenses to get it but you can also order from a non-local dealer and get it delivered locally. A few FRF users did this previously.

I don’t have time for hemming and hawing about ADM. Besides, that’s money I can better spend on mods. The more ADM you spend, the less Raptor Tax you get to spend purchasing mods for the Raptor.

Plenty of dealers in every state selling limited production vehicles over sticker. My point is to find a dealer that is easy to deal with and does not charge that ********. It's not that hard to do.

I wouldn’t necessarily agree with this. First of the Gen MY Raptor shopping is difficult and tedious. I spent hours for several days on end tracking down potential trucks to purchase in an ever widening circle around DC. I went to several places referred by users here and all of them who had been reported to have entered MSRP deals would not commit to anything less than 2500 over. This crew is facing the same challenge now. The thing is, there are always going to be a cadre of folks able to go in and plop down F.Y. money to secure one of the first. Then there are celebrities who are known gear heads and there are stealerships who genuinely don’t want to sell the truck, just keep it on the lot to draw in shoppers. I did find more than one stealership able or willing to do MSRP, but, only 1 actually had an allocation and truck in ‘inventory’, which is the one I ended up going with. That said, once I connected with them, it was smooth sailing, probably the best new vehicle purchase I’d had. So I’d say MSRP is achievable, but you have to want it.

laxmike32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, if you don't already have a deal in writing it will probably be very hard to get a 37 package truck at msrp