Deal or No deal - Real world ADM - Being Transparent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xlr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, those dealers that have to deal with you backing out. Maybe it is an opportunity to gouge someone else, but if I ask for a personal favor for MSRP, you know I am not backing out after that dealer agrees to something reasonable.
I didn't ask for a favor, i asked if they had a spot to order a truck and placed an order. These things will be going for over sticker if they are on the lot so i'm likely doing the dealer a favor by backing out. BTW, i will likely buy at least 2 and resell it so don't get too worried about the poor dealer.

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't ask for a favor, i asked if they had a spot to order a truck and placed an order. These things will be going for over sticker if they are on the lot so i'm likely doing the dealer a favor by backing out. BTW, i will likely buy at least 2 and resell it so don't get too worried about the poor dealer.
Different perspectives is all. When I enter a deal, I consider it a partnership. I do my part, they do theirs.

xlr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Different perspectives is all. When I enter a deal, I consider it a partnership. I do my part, they do theirs.
Fair enough. I move in between vehicles a lot but at this point have no Ford dealer i like or trust. Oh and i'm in Dallas too BTW.

RaptorWhoSaysNI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eh. I would imagine many people are getting MSRP, but losing value on trade in, or overpaying for extended warranty and/or accessories. Then there are those that have a relationship with a dealer that's getting them the comparatively good deal. I don't think many are outright lying about the cost they get, as you can easily just avoid conversations of cost entirely.
I'm not saying everyone will be lying but there will no doubt be a few that will. If you think the opposite then you are quite naïve and we obviously don't live in the same reality. I've been on this planet we call Earth for a few years and this isn't my first rodeo.

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Props for being honest, could’ve told us you got invoice and make us all feel like ****.

The real question is did you finance, or sell your house to pay cash? Jk…

OP
OP
gobluejd

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
Props for being honest, could’ve told us you got invoice and make us all feel like ****.

The real question is did you finance, or sell your house to pay cash? Jk…
LOL. I was paying in full as of today, but I am doing a Hybrid version. I have a IRA my mom left me that I have to take out of every year (mandatory). I have $70k saved. Instead of dipping into the IRA I am taking a 3 yr loan out for the final $20k at 2.1% and taking out $7000 each year to make the payment. My financial advisor suggested this in lieu of paying off For several tax reasons. It’s only $575 a month and paying about $800 in interest. So I will do this for 2 years and then pay off before the 3rd year.

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL. I was paying in full as of today, but I am doing a Hybrid version. I have a IRA my mom left me that I have to take out of every year (mandatory). I have $70k saved. Instead of dipping into the IRA I am taking a 3 yr loan out for the final $20k at 2.1% and taking out $7000 each year to make the payment. My financial advisor suggested this in lieu of paying off For several tax reasons. It’s only $575 a month and paying about $800 in interest. So I will do this for 2 years and then pay off before the 3rd year.
Ehh you need more leverage, but hey that’s my job.

jjm047

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I met with my dealer last week (he is the manager). Got everything squared away. This was my original deal:

No ADM pay full price MRSP. Day I ordered truck (6/18/21). I had choice of either of his 2 allocations, one of which was a 37 Performance. I of course got the 37. He said if I owner wants ADM it would be anything more than $5k. He said if it is, I will split with you, so for me worst case it was $2500, but wasn’t sure if he would want the ADM.

I lease a 2019 F150 Lariat. Told him I didn’t care what he made on my trade as long as I can walk away free and clear. This is my 10th car I bought/leased from him for myself, wife and son.

When I ordered the Raptor I had at the time 8 payments left @ $575 a month ($4600 in payments). Can buyout lease AT END for $37k and change. At the time the truck was worth about $43k (trade in in June). So it would simply be a wash for me and him making about ~$2k or more on the trade. Remember as long as I walk away I was ok. He agreed. He would buy truck from me and pay off remaining balance. I’d buy the Raptor @ $90k with taxes.

Last Friday we met, I was nervous. I walked in and he gave me that look. He said listen, you know these trucks are going for $15-$20k over MRSP. My heart sunk. My wife is pissed I am already spending $90k and for ***** sake not including all the ******** I will end up buying over the next few months - god bless her) but now I have to tell her another $15k. I did not want to have that convo with her. I agreed I have heard that is what they are going for and he said the owner wants $5k in cash, but said the value of my F150 has gone up and will give me another $2k and if I include my Bak Rolling cover on it, another $500 (2 yrs old and in mint condition). Plus any payments you have to make back before the transaction.

So in the end, I have to admit, although all along I have been saying I am not paying ADM. I am in fact paying $2500 ADM.

I AM FINE WITH IT AND CONSIDER MYSELF LUCKY.

I will probably have the only 37 Package in NW Indiana for some time.
That’s ****** up, especially since you’ve done some much business with them.

I think this scenario is going to play out for a lot of us, even the guys who post that they’re paying Msrp and no more. This might happen to me. Who knows. The dealers have all the power and until you’ve signed for the vehicle, it’s theirs. I don’t think most “agreements” between us and, of all people, ******* car salesmen are legally binding and if they see the opportunity to make 10-15k more, trust me, they will drop you like a hot potato and move on to the next one.

sorry that happened. It blows. Wondering when they come back at me with the same conversation.