Cv won’t disengage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seanpparker

Reaction score
Hello, My passenger side cv axle seems to not be disengaging when in 2wd I noticed this morning while driving a humming sound from the front end more noticeable around 20-30mph got home and jacked up the truck turned it on to pull vacuum. My drivers side tire spins freely not engaging the cv, but my passenger spins with the cv, what do I need to replace, I don’t know much about the IWE (I don’t know what that stands for) but I’ve read that’s probably what it is.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
it could be a number of things...

vacuum source compromised to that wheel, will have it engaged.. might need a hand pump to check the IWE itself..

if the IWE is hung up, it will engage the axle to the hub.

if the inner wheel bearing is shot, it could spin the axle

best bet is to pull the axle out of the hub, and look everything over.

my money is on the IWE, so you might want to have one on hand.. pretty common item on these trucks.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The vacuum lines running to the IWEs are pretty common issue too.
Not only was I directed to them when I asked here, but the issue was PINPOINTED ! Mine was driver's side and I was told to take a look near the top of the shock. SURE ENOUGH.
But...
PLENTY of info here and many other F-150/Ford forums about the IWEs.
As mentioned, a vacuum pump is handy, especially if IWE replacement is needed.
But make sure vacuum is actually making it to the Wheel End.
I have read a lot about the solenoid for the system and the lines running to them. Almost every Expedition and truck I have owned has needed some sort of attention given to the lines, the Raptor got them all replaced.
Good luck with the investigation and fix.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hello, My passenger side cv axle seems to not be disengaging when in 2wd I noticed this morning while driving a humming sound from the front end more noticeable around 20-30mph got home and jacked up the truck turned it on to pull vacuum. My drivers side tire spins freely not engaging the cv, but my passenger spins with the cv, what do I need to replace, I don’t know much about the IWE (I don’t know what that stands for) but I’ve read that’s probably what it is.