Tranmission Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sc85fiero

Reaction score
Yes, Ford has introduced the new CDF (Center Distance Fixed) clutch drum for their 2024 models, which aims to address various issues that owners have encountered. The TSB 23-2250 addresses specific problems related to the transmission or clutch system, providing a fix or upgrade to improve performance and reliability.

If you're experiencing issues related to the clutch or transmission on your vehicle, referring to TSB 23-2250 could provide useful information and a potential solution.
Im not trying to attack you, just not trying to spread misinformation so respectfully';

CDF stands for C clutch, D clutch and F clutch, not center distance fixed. The 6 clutch packs in the 10R80 are labeled A through F. The CDF clutch drum houses and feeds those three clutches.

The 23-2250 TSB is an older TSB that has been superseded by 24-2101. The TSB is informational only and only applies to 2017-2020 F150s (and some other models) but doesn't apply to newer F150s. The updated CDF drum design has a "shoulder" that stops the internal bushing from sliding which caused cross leakage, blockage, etc. in those 3 clutches as the bushing feed holes moved.

The updated drum has been out for a few years now and is also used in the "new" F150s and other models with the 10R80. The idea is when performing TSB 24-2101 is to install the updated CDF drum in the "older" 10R80s.

-Joe

roger7254

Reaction score
Im not trying to attack you, just not trying to spread misinformation so respectfully';

CDF stands for C clutch, D clutch and F clutch, not center distance fixed. The 6 clutch packs in the 10R80 are labeled A through F. The CDF clutch drum houses and feeds those three clutches.

The 23-2250 TSB is an older TSB that has been superseded by 24-2101. The TSB is informational only and only applies to 2017-2020 F150s (and some other models) but doesn't apply to newer F150s. The updated CDF drum design has a "shoulder" that stops the internal bushing from sliding which caused cross leakage, blockage, etc. in those 3 clutches as the bushing feed holes moved.

The updated drum has been out for a few years now and is also used in the "new" F150s and other models with the 10R80. The idea is when performing TSB 24-2101 is to install the updated CDF drum in the "older" 10R80s.

-Joe
Hi Joe,

Thanks for your input. I'm not a mechanic and don't have a full understanding of how the transmission works, but from the YouTube videos I've watched, it seems that many of us with the 10R80 transmission experience hard shifting and clunking. We've often considered this normal for the 10R80 transmission until the introduction of the new updated CDF drum.

Does anyone with the new CDF drum still experience hard shifting or clunking, especially when braking hard? Also, isn't the updated CDF drum only included in the newer 2024 models and late 2023 models?

OP
OP
raydulce

raydulce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Joe,

Thanks for your input. I'm not a mechanic and don't have a full understanding of how the transmission works, but from the YouTube videos I've watched, it seems that many of us with the 10R80 transmission experience hard shifting and clunking. We've often considered this normal for the 10R80 transmission until the introduction of the new updated CDF drum.

Does anyone with the new CDF drum still experience hard shifting or clunking, especially when braking hard? Also, isn't the updated CDF drum only included in the newer 2024 models and late 2023 models?
I have a 2023 and TSB 23-2250, or 24-2176, or whatever applies. Transmission is being replaced for this issue, and I hope to get it back tomorrow.

roger7254

Reaction score
Thought i'd share something I learned over the last week. My transmission had been acting a little strange. 95% of the time it was flawless, but sometimes on deceleration the drivetrain would stay engaged. I could feel it, as I'd have to press the brake pedal more than normal. When this happened, the drivetrain would eventually disengage with a clunk sound and jerking of the truck. It wasn't violent by any means, but noticable.

Honestly it's been doing it for a while and wasn't annoying enough for me to take it in right away.

I finally took the truck in now that my schedule freed up. Turns out a bushing in my Failure in the CDF Clutch Drum. Dealer stated it was the most common failure they see, typicalily in new trucks (issue from factory) or higher mileage trucks as the bushing wears out.

It makes me wonder about the longevity of the 10-speed, but I'm happy that the dealership is treating me very well with a loaner car and a full transmission replacement (they can't get the parts to fix my existing transmission at the moment).

Hi Joe,

are you getting the new updated CDF drum? hope that resolves the problem. I also have 23 with 12k miles.

sc85fiero

Reaction score
Hi Joe,

I'm not an engineer but my biggest issue with the 10R80 is how the software controls it. For reference I have an 18 raptor with a goosetuned TCM and my transmission shifts smoother than 99% of the vehicles that come in to my dealership (not meant to be an endorsement for goosetune, but kind of is).

A lot of misunderstanding happens when someone thinks they have a transmission problem. The first thing to understand is that someone's perception of a transmission "problem" doesn't always mean there is a mechanical failure. People get too wrapped up in what they read online when they see more and more people getting transmissions rebuilt or replaced and say hey I have those same symptoms when in reality there is a huge difference between what a mechanical failure actually feels like versus just a clunky shifting transmission. 10R80s with various levels of Ford's software are just clunky in general.

As for the question about GM's 10L80 which is the same transmission, do a quick search and you will find just as many forum complaints and class action lawsuit proposals as the 10R80. GM actually has somewhat different failures that are common with their 10 speed such as torque converter failures. Why the difference in complaints and failures? Different platform and GM engineers designed their own software.

Finally, there is a TSB 24-2176 which is similar in design to 24-2101 but involves 2021-23 model year F150s and other models. That TSB is also informational only and has different procedures than the other.

-Joe

sc85fiero

Reaction score
Interesting. I have this transmission in 3 current ford and GM vehicles and in 2 past ones also. Lots of combined miles. Never any issues.
Thats kind of what I mean when I talk about perception. You surely have felt a once in a while weird shift or clunk or maybe you never noticed it but you always perceived it as normal. Others can drive the same exact vehicle and it shifts the same exact way and they lose their minds about how rough it is and swear that it is damaged and demand a new transmission.

-Joe

MORaptor1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats kind of what I mean when I talk about perception. You surely have felt a once in a while weird shift or clunk or maybe you never noticed it but you always perceived it as normal. Others can drive the same exact vehicle and it shifts the same exact way and they lose their minds about how rough it is and swear that it is damaged and demand a new transmission.

-Joe
Well sure. Plenty of anecdotal evidence like that floating around. It’s a very complex piece of engineering and it’s going to hiccup from time to time.