Gen 3 SPD Trombone.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoop

Reaction score
Just installed the SPD Alpha catted downpipes and a Garrett Intercooler with a Turbo smart Vee port BOV. I didn't do the SPD trombone delete because I read on multiple posts that it made the exhaust WAY louder. almost too loud. I watched the video above and it doesn't seem to be any louder than mine. I do still have that annoying rasp at high RPM's though. I do not want to spend $700 and find out it's annoyingly loud.

OP
OP
Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just installed the SPD Alpha catted downpipes and a Garrett Intercooler with a Turbo smart Vee port BOV. I didn't do the SPD trombone delete because I read on multiple posts that it made the exhaust WAY louder. almost too loud. I watched the video above and it doesn't seem to be any louder than mine. I do still have that annoying rasp at high RPM's though. I do not want to spend $700 and find out it's annoyingly loud.

Not sure who would say the exhaust would get way louder, I have the only one on an ecoboost in the country and one just got installed on an R by Sterling Wild West. Nobody else has one yet as the first batch isnt shipping for another 2-3 weeks.

Its no louder than with just downpipes, its just a more even sound that gets rid of a lot of the raspy sound.

Hoop

Reaction score
Good grief, I fell into a rabbit hole and was looking at Gen2 deletes.
So that video above that you posted has the alpha cats and the trombone installed? If so, I might have to get that.
Any idea when Ford is going to unlock the Raptor so we can get some tunes? or are they already working on it?

OP
OP
Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Good grief, I fell into a rabbit hole and was looking at Gen2 deletes.
So that video above that you posted has the alpha cats and the trombone installed? If so, I might have to get that.
Any idea when Ford is going to unlock the Raptor so we can get some tunes? or are they already working on it?
Yes thats alpha cats and trombone for the gen 3.

Ford wont unlock the raptor, we’re at the mercy of cobb or sct or someone else to do it. 21-22s are currently tunable.

If youd like the alpha cats, or trombone or both shoot me a message and id be glad to help you out.

OP
OP
Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just ordered the trombone from Apollo. Alpha cats already installed. Thanks for the heads up on these!
Absolutely brother. Got your order in.

For tunes the JB4 will work on your truck and if youd like you can message or call me to discuss that.

Goose8651

Reaction score
Hoping someone can clarify, but is the SPD trombone really only for sound purposes?

I’m looking at purchasing the SPD downpipe with hopes I’ll be able to tune my truck after Cobb breaks the ECU. I personally am not a big fan of the v-6 exhaust as I’m not trying to make it sound like a GTR. Wondering if the trombone is even worth for my intent?

OP
OP
Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hoping someone can clarify, but is the SPD trombone really only for sound purposes?

I’m looking at purchasing the SPD downpipe with hopes I’ll be able to tune my truck after Cobb breaks the ECU. I personally am not a big fan of the v-6 exhaust as I’m not trying to make it sound like a GTR. Wondering if the trombone is even worth for my intent?

From everything ive noticed (havent touched a dyno in 6 months) yes, its sound only.

The downpipes will add performance and we do have a few sets in stock that will ship out whenever youre ready!
If anybody that has this installed lives in Miami, FL I would love to hear the sound in person so I can decide whether or not to order this.

First batch thats not mine or the set on the test R ships next week, nobody has it yet but there are sound clips ive posted around out there.

Goose8651

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, appreciate it! Will keep my eye out and will reach out to you in the future!