Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to share a video of my clunk.

After 3 service visits with no movement, I went out and got a knock off GoPro and recorded it myself. All 4 shocks in varying degree make the same clunking, some worse some not as bad.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I went into my service appointment today, I was supposed to do a ride along with the tech to "point out the clunk." I did one better and opened up my laptop and played the advisor two of the four clips I have proving they all clunk. He then walked away and came back saying the tech said if I have it on video "thats enough to go off of" and said a drive wouldn't be needed. The advisor then took my videos on a flash drive and said he would "submit the videos to ford" for them to look at and see what they want done. I also provided the SSM that he copied and stapled to the work order. I guess im a little pessimistic but is that normal? Or is there some kinda dollar threshold where a higher up needs to approve all 4 shocks being replaced with them being so expensive?

Last edited:

emco

Reaction score
My raptor did not exhibit much if any clunking sounds, it was all looseness and cavitation over small road cracks, ripples, any voids in the road. the suspension would just feel really loose and vibrate from the shocks. Fox makes great products, but I suspect that supply chain and poor quality control/ labor during the pandemic may have helped create these issues. Ford replaced all four of my shocks with current production units (after July of 2023) and the subject suspension issues are gone. If it was only odd noise and some clicking, I probably wouldn't have done anything about it, but the cavitation that was present caused the truck to feel like it had a 50 year old suspension on it. Anyway, hope others here can get their shock issues worked out.

Last edited:

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My raptor did not exhibit much if any clunking sounds, it was all looseness and cavitation over small road cracks, ripples, any voids in the road. the suspension would just feel really loose and vibrate from the shocks. Fox makes great products, but I suspect that supply chain and poor quality control/ labor during the pandemic may have helped create these issues. Ford replaced all four of my shocks with current production units (after July of 2023) and the subject suspension issues are gone. If it was only odd noise and some clicking, I probably wouldn't have done anything about it, but the cavitation that was present caused the truck to feel like it had a 50 year old suspension on it. Anyway, hope others here can get their shock issues worked out.

Clunking / rattling whatever you want to call it, I think everyone is experiencing the same thing no matter the description. The SSM just specifically says clunk / rattle so it works. the loose / vibrate you mention is to me one and the same. Glad you got yours replaced. I don't know if I pissed off my advisor or not but I haven't heard back since my visit 3 days ago.

ziggy2022

Reaction score
It's not Ford, they came out with the bulletin saying to replace the affected range shocks. Its the dealerships.
It’s always the dealership. I don’t understand how they can be so inept to actually say a clunk from the suspension is normal or “probably normal”.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s always the dealership. I don’t understand how they can be so inept to actually say a clunk from the suspension is normal or “probably normal”.
Your guess is as good as mine. Been 3 times to the same dealer. Whipped out my laptop with GoPro video of the clunk and they finally admitted to hearing it. Then said "we'll get working on this" and sent me home. He wouldn't answer to me asking him to call me when he orders the shocks, only that there are "steps" he needs to begin with ford.

ziggy2022

Reaction score
Your guess is as good as mine. Been 3 times to the same dealer. Whipped out my laptop with GoPro video of the clunk and they finally admitted to hearing it. Then said "we'll get working on this" and sent me home. He wouldn't answer to me asking him to call me when he orders the shocks, only that there are "steps" he needs to begin with ford.
How bout, “We’re sorry. We will fix it. It’s gonna take a minute, but we will make it right.”