Clear Undercoat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIGt0007

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Would it be possible to see what happens when you spray amsoil over the boeshield? Maybe you could spray 1/4 of the boeshield sample? The back half of my truck is already coated w Boeshield. Want to make sure they don't react badly.

Thanks for the awesome write up!

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes we can try that at the end. And the dirt also, as 2manytrucks have suggested.

I have seen whats happening to the samples right now, and its shocking. I did not expect results like this so fast. But we have alot to go over. I have some ideas and theories. We are not done testing at this point and will have to change directions.

There is some stuff that has to be figured out. I will try and update on Thursday. I will be in Mickey's house for the weekend and don't want to leave anyone hanging.

Last edited:

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE WEEK 2 9-13-12

We really have two different tests going on here. The top side and the bottom side. I did not realize that at the beginning, I thought we would get similar or close results top and bottom, but thats not the case with all of the products. Temp is running 87 Humidity is 57%

The Top Side of the Steel

The Good...Amsoil..........The Bad...Boeshield..........And The The Ulgy... Fluid Flim

Picture # 1

I didn't think we would get such rapid results, its only 2 weeks. I think the Amsoil wins hands down with a twist and some unanswered questions. But let's not count out the FF or Boeshield until you hear me out on what I think happened.

Amsoil

Perfect on the top side. Its only 2 weeks so I do not know how long that will last. But given the extreme severity of the test, and its picture perfect performance, I do not think anything bad will be happening anytime soon.

Fluid Flim

I think the rain coupled with the burning sun, burnt and washed off the Fluid Flim quickly. Quote below off the FF website.

"Removing Fluid Film
"For easy removal of Fluid Film for the purpose of handling or inspection, a high pressure, cold-water pressure wash (1,000 - 3,000psi) is recommended. A standard, industrial strength pressure washer will suffice.

For equipment that is to be painted following a treatment of Fluid Film, a more vigorous cleaning is advised. A high-pressure, hot water or steam detergent wash (minimum 120F) is needed."

In no way was that Florida rain coming down at 1,000 -3000 psi. I was out there taking pictures, I would have gotten hurt, LOL. When it rains here most times we get it SUPER heavy and allot of it in a short time period. Then the sun comes out and in another hour you do not even know it rained. Then its burning hot just like it was before the rain started.

The fact is I think FF comes off allot easier than 1,000- 3000 psi they are saying with allot of help from the sun. At 3,000 psi you could etch concrete and cut the skin on your hand if you put it under your power washer.

So what happens is the steel starts out hot, the rain hits it, like throwing butter on a hot frying pan, cools it and I think we get the burn effect. Couple that with that constant flooding of the water sitting on top of the steel, we get the result with the FF in picture # 1. All was fine for days until the rain hit.

Now the 120F that's needed we may have had or close to it, so that was a huge factor also. With that said maybe the FF web site may be correct, the sun was a major player here in our test. Anyway bottom line for us is combine the rain, standing water, the sun's uv rays and constant heat, the FF does not do well on the top side. But don't count it out yet, read on.

Boshield

The boeshield held its own kind of, some rust forming, ulgy looking as its burning off. I have used this before around the shop, for outdoor stuff I hate it. The same thing happened here as happened to the FF. But the Boeshield held up much better on the top side then the FF. So it seems to be more water resistant and heat tolerant then the FF.

Let's move on to The Bottom Side Of The Steel.

So, since it was useless to continue the test given the results in Picture # 1, the next thing I do I flip them all of them over to see what's happening on the bottom side. This is the first time they have been flipped over and the first time I have touched them with my bare hand. They were extremely hot. If I wanted to, I would not be able to hold them. They all looked near perfect. See Picture # 2. So heat does not seem to be an problem with all three, except when combined with pouring water and the sun's rays.

Results as follows

Amsoil Perfect
FF is near perfect.
Boeshield is near perfect
Raw steel is almost perfect but a bit of rust.

How could the FF bottom side be near perfect and the top a disaster?
How could the Boeshield bottom side be near perfect and the top just OK?
How could the raw steel be near perfect, and the top a disaster?
The amsoil was no surprise given its performance on the top side.

You could say the steel was flat against the table and it was protected from most of the test. Well yes, the direct sun was blocked, but not the contact with water or the heat from the steel. That table has a lip to it. Look at picture number 3,4 and 5. I placed the steel on the top of the lip , so it looks like we have about 30% water flow thru the bottom of each piece of steel. You can see the water in direct contact just laying under the steel waiting to dry. It looks like the sun has allot to do with how the FF and Boeshield perform, also effects how fast the raw steel rusts.

I can only post 5 pictures, read on below.

Picture # 1 Week 2.jpgPicture # 2 The Bottom Side.jpgTable Edge Picture # 3.jpgTable Gap Picture # 4.jpgSitting Water Picture # 5.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the professional tests I have read on these products seems to go something like this, See Picture # 6:

FF Info off their site.

Salt Spray Test Requirement - 750 hours in a 5% salt fog environment/chamber according to ASTM B117.
Heat Resistance Requirement - Subjecting one panel to a temperature of 150ºF for one hour per FED-STD-141.

Boeshield Info off their site.

Corrosion Inhibition Meets BSS7220 and FED-STD-791, Method 4001 (Max. 3 dots 1mm per 10 square inches after 100 hours salt spray). Meets ASTM G-34 (Exfoliation Test).

Amsoil

I cannot find anything on their site or anywhere else. Go figure the best product for us and NO DATA to back it up, LOL. Except what I did here.

So If I am understanding everything correct. These tests seems to be in a controlled environment with a spray, drop or mist indoors in some type of chamber. No Sun light, no pouring water, no heat or cooling factor and the steel is vertical so the water will drip off.

Our test is horizontal, constant heat from the sun, uv rays and the water is poured from the sky and then lays right on the product, till the burning sun dries it up. I think our test is on steroids compared to the pros.

So what I am thinking is the FF or Boeshield still may be good if it was not for the sun, direct heat and pouring rain.

We have a winner, but let's start a new test, bring the test indoors just to see what happens. It's easier to do it now then a year from now if we need to. My garage temp runs 85 to 99. I will Spray with a salt solution every day. Not sure how any of them will do with a salt spray test, no sun or direct heat but let's see what happens. Its good information to have.

Just give me a few weeks, so my brain can think about something else, like where is my Raptor? We all know what we will be using anyway, so the results are not changing anyone's mind.

I will run a few quick tests with dirt to see if it's easy to get off. It will be interesting because the FF stays wet, the Amsoil stays slightly tacky, the boeshield dries to the touch. I'll spray indoors, wait 3 days then hit them with dirt and hose them off.

And the request for the Amsoil over the Boeshield I will do.

To sum up for now, my thoughts are, I do not think the BS or FF are bad products at all. I think they have their place in the right environment.

But a Raptor is extreme and we need a product that performs under extreme conditions. Going off road, the under carriage will get dirty and wet. And you will have to hose it down to clean. At this point we do not know what the FF and Boeshield will do. With the sun hitting them and standing water we know the results on the top side, Picture #1. The question is will it do the same thing as our test on the bottom and stay perfect? Picture # 2. The main problem I have with FF is that it stays wet. Go off road and what do we have, I think a film of dirt stuck to the truck?

I think for what we need as an under coat for ours Raptors, Amsoil is the winner. It fought the sun, heat and rain, worked flawless on the top and the bottom. If my Raptor came tomorrow guess what I am using. I hope this infomation helps everyone up here.

Testing Picture 6.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here Are Some Close Ups. The first 2 are the top side. The 3rd is the bottom side. Even the raw steel did not do that bad on the bottom which is why I want to test indoors just to see what the FF and Boeshield do.

Close Up Week 2 Pic 1.jpgClose Up Week 2 Pic 2.jpgClose Up Week 2 Pic 3.jpg

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy and frf rolodex
Supporting Member
Reaction score
awesome job. im glad to see that you are very thorough with the testing. the way i see it, is the water that we drive fast through will act as a (very small) pressure washer, and the heat from the mechanical components will also affect it as well. im wondering if the (slight) acidity in the rain would cause deterioration on the underside, since it was in constant contact.......

Macman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow the Amsoil came out flawless. Thats an awesome test that you did, thanks a lot for that. Perhaps you can do a test involving your freezer so we can see some cold weather testing for those of us in the great white north ;)