Clear Undercoat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am reasearching all three products intensely. The Fluid Flim Tests are impressive to say the least. FLUID FILM® | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor

But what I do not like is they do not tell us what really went on. I am sure its all true...... But xyz company tested it and liked it. You know 750 hrs salt spray test, I believe it, give me details. What metal was used, one spray or one spray every 10 hrs? Lots of details missing. Give us pictures, let us see the process.

Anyway I found a link to a free sample of Fluid Flim. Its a 2 1/4 oz can.

Its still live, first post 8-12-2010....... last post 8-17-2012 Try a sample on us! - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Page 1 Opening post by the rep and page 9 the Vid. Don't waste your time with the rest of the posts. Its just all thanks , i got it.

If you go thru the thread page 9 there is a vid of Dano50 the rep, telling you about Fluid Flim, do not miss it!! , he's cool!!. He does stop short in telling us Fluid Flim may prevent pregnancy if sprayed on our private parts 1 hour before sex, but I have a feeling he wanted to.

I think its going to come down to what do you want under your truck, wet which is Fluid Flim or Dry which is Amsoil. The Boeshield I have used before indoors and outside and I will keep my mouth shut till the end. Each product is good, I been on lawn mower sites, bike sites, motor cycle sites , John Deere sites, farming sites, everybody loves what they picked with no data to back it up, except " I really liked it." They just sprayed the dam thing on, LOL.

We are not lubing chains, hedge trimmers, lawn mower blades, we are not shining paint, we are not dressing down tires, we are not shinning bumpers!!!!!!

Our question and goal is which is good for the application of undercoating a truck.

Last edited:

2manytrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of folks in the jetski community use Fluid Film on their skis. Salt water is a killer on all parts (even stainless). The fluid film is applied after each couple of rides just for good measure (engine, pump, controls and impeller). So far I have had almost no corrosion on any of my parts.

Good luck with the test.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
which one would u think would work on the shocks the best? i guess the amsoil is out due to yellowing. the fluid film looks like it gives a foggy effect, is that so? the boe seems to have the clearest finish...what do u think?

2manytrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you wipe it off the skis or just spray and leave it?
A little of both. If I get some on the paint, I wipe it off. Otherwise I just spray it on and leave it. My skis are typically riden in salt water probably 85% of the time, so I apply more frequently than a normal vehicle would need. It does have a strong smell, but it is protection...not for eating. And it never actually dries...don't know how to explain it...but it works.

I cant wait to see the test results.

Last edited:

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
which one would u think would work on the shocks the best? i guess the amsoil is out due to yellowing. the fluid film looks like it gives a foggy effect, is that so? the boe seems to have the clearest finish...what do u think?

I do not see a foggy effect on the steel with FF. Its clear.

Rust is starting to form on the raw steel. Thats a good thing. No rain yet. I will give a weekly picture update every Friday.

naptown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. This is a great thread. Now I don't have a lift in my garage but the shop that has detailed my vehicles for years does and I would have them do this treatment. So what is the procedure? Detail the truck, power wash the under carriage, spray the product and let it setup for 1-2 days before using the truck? I have never done this to any other vehicle before and am a rookie when it comes to this. Thanks for any advice

2manytrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the process is going to be dictated by the age and condition of the underside of each truck. Some will be able to get away with a wash and rinse while others may need to break out a wire brush/wheel and do some paint repair.

Mike looking forward to your first pics...

Mike, thought of another part of the test once you have a couple of weeks or however long you are going to test for. Add some dirt and dust to the metal samples to see how much sticks and how hard it is to get it off with a basic water hose.

Last edited:

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the process is going to be dictated by the age and condition of the underside of each truck. Some will be able to get away with a wash and rinse while others may need to break out a wire brush/wheel and do some paint repair.

Mike looking forward to your first pics...

Mike, thought of another part of the test once you have a couple of weeks or however long you are going to test for. Add some dirt and dust to the metal samples to see how much sticks and how hard it is to get it off with a basic water hose.

Yes, the dirt sounds good, great idea. Will be interesting because the FF is wet and stays wet. The dirt should stick on and I wonder if the dirt will absorb the FF off the metal, causing us to have less protection in those areas. The Amsoil has a tacky feel to it, not really sticky. The Boeshield is neither of the above, a cross between both, not wet not tacky. I will do it after we get the results from the first test.

Ok. This is a great thread. Now I don't have a lift in my garage but the shop that has detailed my vehicles for years does and I would have them do this treatment. So what is the procedure? Detail the truck, power wash the under carriage, spray the product and let it setup for 1-2 days before using the truck? I have never done this to any other vehicle before and am a rookie when it comes to this. Thanks for any advice

I got under my John Deere 4x4 to paint the welds from rusting. I would not spray without cleaning first. To much going on under there to get full coverage.

So yes wash the under carriage, check your paint for repair if needed and spray as 2manytrucks said.

I have never done it, but I have the three products here. If I was going to do it based off of experience of my spraying the steel for the test would be:

Keep In Mind I live In Florida. Its 90% and 50% humidly. It may be very different where you live but it's a baseline for everyone to start.

Start with a clean under carriage, no rust, if rust is present paint it.

Fluid Fill Stays wet so spray and go. Its not drying. I would not go off roading the first day. Give it a day at least.

Amsoil This took a good 4 days to set up and gets tacky. Now it was in direct Florida sun, running about 92% and I did give it a full coat. I think you would spray allot less on your truck. So I would figure 2 day min and then to be sure the best way is just get under there and feel with your hand. My best guess 3 days to really set up good. It could be less, where you live and how much of a coat you put on.

Boeshield This took 4 days before it got dry to the touch. My coat was heavy, it was in direct Florida sun, running about 92% and I think you would spray allot less on your truck. So Min 2 days to set up. Again best way is just get under there and feel with your hand.

There are guys on this forumn that have done it so hopefully they can add there experience here.

Tomarrow is Friday we will get pictures and the 1st week update of the test .

Last edited: