Clear Undercoat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Week One Update Friday 9-7-12 Temp Is 101 Humidty 54%

1st rain since the begining of the test. It was hard rain, they were soaked as you can see from the pictures. The water just sat there till it burned off from the sun later on, which is the first picture you see. As you can see we have rust on the raw steel and the Boeshield is starting to look strange. I can only Upload 5 Photos so we will continue below.

Anti Rust Test Week 1.jpgAnti Rust Test 9 7 12 Rain.jpgRain Week 1 Pic 1.jpgRain Week 1 Pic 2.jpgRain Week 1 Pic 4.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first 2 pictures, you see the brown spots on the Boeshield. I am saying what the heck is this? So I got a razor and scraped it, 1st picture 2nd arrow. It's not rust, I took it down to the raw steel. I am not sure what's happening, maybe the sun and heat are doing that to the Boeshield. But I do not like it. It also looks like its burning away from the edges, but no rust.

It is a deceiving look, if I had my head under my truck, I would think it was rust. But again that brown may not happen, the under carriage is not hit by direct sunlight, but heat is another story. Maybe that is our offender. I resprayed Boeshield where I scraped.

The next 2 pictures. It looks like Rust is forming on the edges of the Fluid Flim. But the face of it is good right now.

So for the first week I see :

Boesheild - looking strange, brown, burning away but no signs of rust. Or maybe the brown is rust working its way in? Time will tell.

Fluid Flim - The face looks good the edges are starting to rust. And yes I did spray the edges on all of them.

Amsoil - The face looks good, the edges look good.

Attachments

• Brown Spots On Boeshield.jpg
    Brown Spots On Boeshield.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 102
  • Week 1 After Rain.jpg
    Week 1 After Rain.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Rust On Side Of Fluid Flim.jpg
    Rust On Side Of Fluid Flim.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 121
  • Rust On Side Of Fluid Flim..jpg
    Rust On Side Of Fluid Flim..jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the amsoil doesnt look as yellow as it did at 1st. how does it look in person, clear or yellow, or somewhere in between?

It actually has a light brown color, hardly perceivable with a light coat, but gets darker as you apply additional layers.

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PropDr is correct. When I first put it on you could really notice it and now hardly at all. If you run your hand across it, you know its there. I think it needs time to cure... setup.

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update : 9-8-12 Raining for 3 hrs today. Snapped a picture. The rain just pours over the steel like dumping a bucket of water over it non stop and just sits on the steel as you can see.

I did not bother with the cans, its raining hard. So I wrote above the picture, you guys can follow it easy.

Looks like rust is forming on the Fluid Flim. It was not there on Friday 9-7-12. What I can't figure out is FF has an impressive testing record off the web page. I am just a regular Dude with no scientific equipment that just sprayed some steel and left it outside. Maybe the FF tests they do not pour water over the product? But I think the water pour (Constant Rain) is more like what would happen to us on the road. Its only one week so far!!

9-8-12 2nd Day Rain.jpg9-8-2012 Close Up.jpg

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy and frf rolodex
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im wondering if the constant pounding of the rain is causing it to wear down......... it looks like the amsoil is the best so far. i dont think a scientific approach would be better in this situation anyways..... i want to SEE how these products hold up just as they are now. i want to know when i drive in the ocean (water crossing at pismo) that the water sitting there will not cause rust. keep up the good work......

Macman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah Amsoil definitely looks like its holding up nicely, I am curious to know how it would hold up in a colder climate too. Wonder if that would have any effect at -40.

2manytrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very interesting with the Fluid Film. Scientific testing aside....I like what Mike is doing...no BS involved, he put all of the products on just as we probably would. Lets see how all of this shakes out.